View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting gnome-sensors-applet Reply with quote

The applet is reporting CPU temperatures of 98C/198F. The BIOS reports 35C/95F ???

This is a new system with an AthlonII X3 3.0Ghz CPU and an MSI mobo with an AMD 785 chipset and a Fintek F71883FG i2C.

The high temps are reported by "CPU temp" while temps around 72F - 75F are reported by "temp1" and "temp2". I have selected "AMD internal CPU sensor" in the kernel config. I assume that is driving the CPUtemp display. I have no idea what temp1 and temp2 displays get their data.

I am concerned that the CPU fan turns slowly. The case is a Raidmax Smilodon with three or four fans, including a side port fan and a fan directly in front of the (single) hard drive.

I'm looking for tips on toubleshooting this. Mainly, is the reported temp right? Wouldn't the CPU melt down? Seems to work well. "emerge -e world" ran like greased lightning on "-j4". There are no shutdowns or freezes.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be, that the tool thinks its degrees centigrade but you feed the tool fahrenheit?

After boot the temperature should be quite the room temperature, about 20 - 30 degrees, so you can check the measured value of the applet.

the bios values should be right, so these values should be displayed in the applet.

I think you shouldnt bother too much about this stuff, because the bios should do the fan speed regulation. At least in the past this was so.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is some problem with the kernel driver:

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices
Quote:
(2009-12-06) Embedded sensors are known to be unreliable on the DR-BA, DR-B2, DR-B3, RB-C2 and HY-D0 revisions of the family 10h CPU, which will never be supported. Driver contributed by Clemens Ladisch, reviewed by Jean Delvare.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYwMA

Quote:
They have constructed a new driver for the AMD "K10" support and is based upon the LM_Sensors driver for earlier AMD processors
. There is, however, a few caveats to be aware of, which are described in the LM_Sensors mailing list message. It's also been proposed that the k8temp driver be renamed to amdtemp. In the mailing list message is also talks of possible enhancements for the AMD K8 support.

I'll have to check my stepping/revision. No wonder the chip was so cheap.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, mine isn't one of the bad CPU's. I built the k10temp module and installed it. The gnome applet still shows the CPU is boiling. The terminal program LM-sensors shows this:

temp1: +75.2 F (high = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F)
(crit = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F) sensor = transistor
temp2: +213.8 F (high = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F)
(crit = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F) sensor = thermistor
temp3: +78.8 F (high = +491.0 F, hyst = +487.4 F)
(crit = +491.0 F, hyst = +487.4 F) sensor = transistor

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +60.6 F

The k10 temp looks a little low (CPU is running at only 800Mhz right now under ondemand governor). The South Bridge data sheet says temp1 is system temperature and temp3 is CPU. Temp 2 isn't defined. (Not connected?).

Which driver should I believe? 78.8 or 60.6? The GNOME applet only shows the south bridge readings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: