Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
all programs not working with new name
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: all programs not working with new name Reply with quote

ok...so i add a second username using the same info that i used to setup my first acct like it says in gentoo's FAQ and i copy all of the info into the new home dir.

fluxbox runs fine and loads up everything...but for some reason none of the programs work...mozilla evolution xemacs...nothing....

is there a i added my new sn to the users group and also the wheel group to be able to access root.

do i have to re-emerge everything again for every user acct or can is there one simple file that has permissions for proggies that i dont know about.....its prob the second...but i dont know where it is.....
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I don't think I know enough to offer more assistance. Perhaps installing over Red Hat is a problem.

Just a tip. This is still kind of one issue, so it would be better to keep it in one thread. Splitting them up
makes it more difficult to follow the progress of what is going on. I was going to link to them, but I'm not
finding them right away. Also, registering with a username (or logging in) will help too.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the problem is that you copied the old home from the other user. Perhaps there is some authentication-stuff in it, now of course with the wrong owner...

What happens, if you just create another user without copying anything into and then try to start your programs?

Quote:
do i have to re-emerge everything again for every user acct

No, you don't :)

Last edited by meyerm on Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pac_man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
First, I don't think I know enough to offer more assistance. Perhaps installing over Red Hat is a problem.

Just a tip. This is still kind of one issue, so it would be better to keep it in one thread. Splitting them up
makes it more difficult to follow the progress of what is going on. I was going to link to them, but I'm not
finding them right away. Also, registering with a username (or logging in) will help too.

what????sorry i forgot to login but what does redhat have to do with my problem....

and what is being split up????

freedom is slavery
pac_man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:
I would guess the problem is that you copied the old home from the other user. Perhaps there is some authentication-stuff in it, now of course with the wrong owner...

What happens, if you just create another user without copying anything

but if that where the case...even after i had chgrp and chown the files my mozilla wouldnt let me access the default acct or make a new one(which may be some type of bug cause that happend before) and with my first user acct i had emerged evolution as root but couldnt access it in my user acct.

BUT

when i logged on as my user name and then su'd i emerged and was able to use mozilla dn evolution......

confused???.....me too :wink:

freedom is slavery
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pac_man wrote:
what????sorry i forgot to login but what does redhat have to do with my problem....

and what is being split up????
Sorry... this thread sounded very much like another problem. I thought it was the same person with a new thread.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: all programs not working with new name Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i copy all of the info into the new home dir.

fluxbox runs fine and loads up everything...but for some reason none of the programs work...mozilla evolution xemacs...nothing....

I can't speak for evolution, as I don't use it, but at least with my setup, both mozilla and xemacs have hardcoded paths to things in my home directory buried in files in their preference directory, so blindly copying these to a different user will not work.

I think you are better off deleting application preference directories (.mozilla and .xemacs) in your second user's home directory, and reconfiguring those applications from scratch.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wouldn't copy over entire directories. I would set up (for example) Mozilla from scratch. You can then copy the bookmarks file and addressbook if you like. But copying over entire prefs directories usually means you'll be doing it again anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: