Need sshd & lircd to start faster in boot sequence [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Need sshd & lircd to start faster in boot sequence [SOLV Reply with quote

I have a server that also handles MythTV front & backend duties. Unfortunately, KDE and the MythTV frontend start before lircd (required for my USB remote) has a chance to get started. This wasn't always the case. Furthermore, the sshd daemon doesn't start very quickly either. This isn't as big a deal to me, but the delay is rather long in my opinion before I can open a SSH connection to this server.

Is there a way I can tweak my boot sequence in order to get lircd and sshd started after the network comes up, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Last edited by gcasillo on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

answered here : http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better solution than editing the /etc/init.d/ script would be adding rc_before= lines to /etc/conf.d/ files.

For instance, to get sshd loaded before xdm, (xdm is what starts kdm) add the following to /etc/conf.d/sshd:
Code:
rc_before="xdm"
You can read more about it in the "service configuration variables" section of /etc/rc.conf. You'll add similar lines for lircd, refering to whatever the init.d script for mythtv is.

...of course, this assumes you use openrc. If you don't, add relevant lines to the depend={} sections of the init scripts or simply move lircd into the boot runlevel.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies. I'm usually reluctant to tinker with init scripts, but it's nice to have that primer that krinn linked to. Using pigeon768's recommendation for rc_before="xdm" I set lircd, sshd, and mythbackend to start before xdm/kdm kicks off KDE. All is well now! Many thanks! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: