View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a good start on partitioning, since sda3 is a perfectly good linux boot partition,
but you need to replace sda4 with an extended partition before you go any further, or you
will run out of partitions/have unused disk space. Then add an sda5 as '/', and sda6-15
as whatever you want. (The Microsoft MBR limits you to four primary partitions, or three
and an extended partition "container", and the Linux SCSI drivers limit you to a total of
fifteen partitions.)

Will
TH0M4SJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks a lot everyone for your help and helping understand a few things.
i am going to delete those two partitions and just take it from the top again.
That seems to be my best option. Im sure i will be back in the not so distant future.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming after war but...
sda1 = windows boot partition as ntfs, so if you mount it, default ntfs handling by kernel is read-only (well technically not as you can modify existing files but cannot create new ones, so let's keep it simple and assume read-only). It's a new need for windows 7 to have a boot partition.
sda2 = windows.
sda3 = linux
sda4 = swap but set as 83 (linux), a swap partition is 82, mistake here.

You don't really need a boot partition and you can use your / (root) one to hold your /boot as mike explain. It's legit and working to have sda3/boot to hold boot files.

Your two main problems are : trying to use sda1 as boot partition for your linux where it's a windows one AND trying to use a swap partition that isn't set as one.

to correct it: stop trying to use sda1 or sda2 and ignore them. don't set any /boot in your fstab. mkdir /boot in your root partition (should already be present anyway) and use the manual just ignore anything where it suggest to mount /boot or adding /boot in fstab. fdisk /dev/sda4 and change it to 82 then mkswap /dev/sda4 and your done with the swap.
TH0M4SJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
coming after war but...
sda1 = windows boot partition as ntfs, so if you mount it, default ntfs handling by kernel is read-only (well technically not as you can modify existing files but cannot create new ones, so let's keep it simple and assume read-only). It's a new need for windows 7 to have a boot partition.
sda2 = windows.
sda3 = linux
sda4 = swap but set as 83 (linux), a swap partition is 82, mistake here.

You don't really need a boot partition and you can use your / (root) one to hold your /boot as mike explain. It's legit and working to have sda3/boot to hold boot files.

Your two main problems are : trying to use sda1 as boot partition for your linux where it's a windows one AND trying to use a swap partition that isn't set as one.

to correct it: stop trying to use sda1 or sda2 and ignore them. don't set any /boot in your fstab. mkdir /boot in your root partition (should already be present anyway) and use the manual just ignore anything where it suggest to mount /boot or adding /boot in fstab. fdisk /dev/sda4 and change it to 82 then mkswap /dev/sda4 and your done with the swap.

Yea thanks for confirming this for me, I was going to go ahead and attempt this.
I think what I'll do now is try to get it up and runnning using this method and give it a test run to see how the system performs with this compile then either redo it correctly using the same settings or recompile it all together.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the longer term, if you are messing around with ^H^H^H updating Gentoo a separate
boot partition makes life easier. It means that you only have to install and configure Grub
once, and that's a process which always makes me nervous. Subsequent updates are simply
a matter of editing grub.conf.

Good luck - Will
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and putting /home on a seperate partition is also an excellent idea, because if ever you do re-install from scratch, then there is no need to destroy the /home partition, like when it's part of the / (root) partition.

Look throught the Sticky: Get help on partitioning here [Part 2] topic near the top of this subforum, for some great tips and hints. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: