Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
So I recently got a Blackmagic Intensity...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: So I recently got a Blackmagic Intensity... Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. I got this card because it's a good price for an HD card that actually has Linux drivers, but I feel like there must be only 100 Linux users out there that have used this. The documentation for installing the driver was pretty bogus, and getting the software that comes with it (Media Express) to work was even more silly. I did get it to work though, all in all, but it's not really what I was looking for.

My problem is I find the software, Media Express, is terrible. It seems to be very unstable on my system, doesn't play sound (only records it, but I can get around this), and worst of all, there does not seem to be a way I can see to make the image itself go full screen. The entire suite is fairly limited on giving useful error messages too.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else is using this card? Is there any software that can use it other than Media Express? I don't believe Myth can, but I haven't played around with it yet. I don't really want to install the whole package with a card that is unsupported. However, I really need to find something better than that Media Express. Do I have any hope? I've tried googling but I haven't really gotten much. Is the SDK my only chance at better software? I'm not much of a programmer. This seemed like a much better idea when I was buying it!
elsphinc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure but did you look into freevo
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: So I recently got a Blackmagic Intensity... Reply with quote

ruta wrote:
I got this card because it's a good price for an HD card that actually has Linux drivers,
Uhh - all the hauppauge cards have pretty good linux drivers.

ivtv
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: So I recently got a Blackmagic Intensity... Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
ruta wrote:
I got this card because it's a good price for an HD card that actually has Linux drivers,
Uhh - all the hauppauge cards have pretty good linux drivers.

ivtv

As far as I know, they don't have component/HDMI, so it's no good for me. I've got an HDTV cable card and it's pretty much useless because all the cable in my region is encrypted. As far as I know, I would have had to get a hauppauge box of some sort for component. I was looking for an internal option. If you know of a hauppauge card with component/HDMI in, let me know!

I don't see anything about freevo supporting blackmagic either, but I can look in more detail.
swordfischer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: So I recently got a Blackmagic Intensity... Reply with quote

ruta wrote:
My problem is I find the software, Media Express, is terrible. It seems to be very unstable on my system, doesn't play sound (only records it, but I can get around this), and worst of all, there does not seem to be a way I can see to make the image itself go full screen. The entire suite is fairly limited on giving useful error messages too.

I used this card on windows, and the media express doesn't output sound, only records it (I also mailed BMD) - Also you cannot full screen it, or scale the image.

The only thing Media Express is good for is actually recording. Nothing else.

I know you can use VLC to view w/ sound - I had some minor difficulties with delay on windows though. - Im not quite sure how this will work out on linux with V4L

Settings it up can be a PITA since, you have to match the input settings exactly with receiving program - I've posted a minor how-to on my blog, you can use it as a reference. Once you figure out how it works, its pretty easy to use it with other programs.

Reference

Hope this was useful
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really got my hopes up there, swordfischer, but VLC can only use Blackmagic in Windows thanks to DirectShow. I don't want to get into a rant here about how disappointed I am with everything to do with this card in Linux, but it really boggles my mind that they went out of their way making their Windows and Mac versions with DirectShow and Quicktime, then just looked the other way with Linux. Maybe they're hoping the Linux community pulls through, but I just don't have the know-how, and I don't see much support. There's a couple people who have spoken about it in the past year, so I'm still hoping.

At the very least, it'd be nice if MediaExpress didn't randomly crash with glibc errors or segmentation faults frequently. I would also appreciate it if they tested their drivers with newer kernels before making claims like "works on all kernels above x," but then I guess that would require they change their documentation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: