Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Occasional System freeze(under high load? mdraid?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnarKEY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: [Solved] Occasional System freeze(under high load? mdraid?) Reply with quote

Hey there,
after installing a software raid using mdraid i my system sometimes freezes. This occurs mainly during emerging big packages like openoffice. Unfortunately this package is so big, that it doesn't finish compiling 'cause the system freezes - no mouse, system-clock stops, .... After that, the raid has to be resynced. I assume that the raid /hard disk has something to do with this problem, because before i used lvm with luks and without mdraid and everything was working fine. I check the ram with memtest and the hard disk with fsck but now i don't know how to debug this problem. I would be great if someone could give me some hits.

Some system information:
  • recent kernel 2.6.33.2 (compiled using genkernel with --lvm --luks)
  • using lvm & luks
  • raid5
  • amd64

Actually, the sda1, sda2 & sda3 builds a raid5-array, with is encrypted with luks and the decrypted volume is separated with lvm into a root, a home and a swap-volume. The boot-Partition is on a usb-stick.

thanks in advance, anarkey

Last edited by AnarKEY on Sat May 08, 2010 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
AnarKEY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Solved? Reply with quote

So, It seemes the problem doesn't occur anymore. I did three things and I don't know, which thing finally solved it and I don't want to check this out by freezes the systems ones again, cause I'm afraid to loose data or have to spend to much time to recover it. What I did:
- Update Kernel to 2.6.33.3 (don't think that was important)
- Find an mistake in the grub-configuration: The kernel-commandline includes the dmraid-parameter, but I don't use dmraid but mdraid
- Changes the sata-mode in the bios from "ahci" to "sata" (Asus M3A76-CM Board)

Maybe someone finds this information usefull.

bye, AnarKEY
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was prob the bios setting. we've had issues with the ahci and windows 7 with becrypt encryption on the system disk.
With ahci it won't boot, but setting it to a normal sata controller and its fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: