distfiles & portage tree
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaedrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: distfiles & portage tree Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, and did a search for what I wanted, but didn't get the specific info I needed. Please forgive me if this is a repeat question.
I'm a complete n00b to linux, but have been using UNIX for years through work. Although it seems a bit involved for the average user, I think I can handle Gentoo from Stage1. All well and good, but I have a few questions:
1 - How much of a partition should I give Gentoo? I have to dual-boot a shared WinXP machine, so I need to know how much I should give it to play with.
2 - I know a lot of posts refer to dialup loads, and the most easy to follow for a single machine is one I have from here. Only problem is it asks me to leave my install just before bootstrap, head over to a fast connection and download the list of files gotten from an emerge -p script, then head back, copy them off the CD I burnt and away I go. What if I don't have access to a fast connection nearby :? ? Is there a way to grab a version of the right distfiles for the portage tree on the CD beforehand?
3 - I've heard patchy discussions about Linux problems with Conexant modems. Nothing consistent. Anyone shed any light?

Cheers, and sorry for the novel.
delompemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!

my /usr directory is 3.9 gb. So I guess that 5 gb should be enough, if you don't want to have anything in your home directory. Or if you put that on another partition.
Remember that you also need to make a swap partition.

here you can buy cds with pre-built packages: http://store.gentoo.org/
but that may not be what you want. (but it may be a good thing to start with)
so I guess the best thing you can do is go to a friend with a fast internet connection and gentoo and copy his /usr/portage/distfiles directory.

and for the modem thing: http://www.linmodems.org/

have fun!
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO: take at least 10 GB (if possible). My / is about 5 GB and my i have less then 20% free diskspace left.

If you fi want to compile OpenOffice, you need at least 5 GB of free diskspace.
phaedrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Thanx Reply with quote

Much appreciated on the info.

Seeing as I don't have access to a fast connection (even work is down to sub-dialup speeds at the moment), I decided to buy the 2-CD set and start from stage3. This time.
Then, as and when my knowledge improves, I'll try and find a way around the dialup problem (hopefully it'll involve my partner saying yes to ADSL, but I doubt it.. :D )

Of course, if I make any breakthroughs, I'll post it up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: