~86 vrs stable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpenterguy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: ~86 vrs stable Reply with quote

I dual boot with sabayon and gentoo. Been using sabayon for about 3 years. Have been using gentoo for less time.
I have 2 computers running, 1 is with a stable gentoo with a stable sabayon The other is with a testing ~86 gentoo and testing sabayon.
Not sure if it is my bad luck or what, I have more problems with stable gentoo then ~86.
A friend suggested that testing may be more (lack of better term) better. The gentoo dev may pay closer attention to the ~86 then stable.
I am not sure I will believe this.
I do have very few problems with my ~86 while the stable system always wants attention (latest is update to old xorg-server)
Am I alone with this? I do use my system as a desktop.
Jazz-KP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ~86 vrs stable Reply with quote

carpenterguy wrote:

I do have very few problems with my ~86 while the stable system always wants attention (latest is update to old xorg-server)

I don't understand you because both stable and ~arch systems come through almost same packages in update process, just stable does it later
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpenterguy,

~arch does provide a few nasty surprises from time to time that get sorted out before they hit stable.

However, pure stable (with an empty /etc/portage) should be err, stable. It can get messy when you mix branches as you get slot conflicts with dependancies.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
carpenterguy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be my noobnes showing...I tend to run a bloated system. I have the room and horse power, why not.
I have kde, gnome, xfce, fluxbox...like a lot of the latest goodies...I use xbmc on my ~86 etc...
I think I am starting to create my own opinion that a stable system is great for a headless server or a box built for specific use.
For a willy nilly desktop application like mine, ~86 seems to have less problems in a situation like this.
I did have an issue with the new .33 kernel and nouveau drivers when they were new. neddy suggested that I drop back to the older kernel and I did. I do now have it on the 33...which is old at this time, that system runs perfect I luv it.
I am on the second install with the stable system and is always a pain to update it,

As you all know, getting mad and switching it to ~86 is not as easy as it sounds, for a noob. 3 days later and am still working on it.
revdep-rebuld, python-updater, perl-cleaner all have been my friends, getting past kde 4.3 to 4.4 is proving difficult but, update is still running with lots of intervention, Would I suggest others do this? NO!

Think what I really meant in original question is, Is there a line drawn in the sand, where one should stop using stable and use ~86?
stable sounds like the ticket, my luck has been with ~86
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~x86 is better if you need up to date software and you do not want to do dependency resolution when an update of a package you unkeyworded depends on a package that portage will not install because it is keyworded in the stable tree. This is a gross simplification of things. When you run a desktop environment, you usually never get a single package that breaks things because it is keyworded, instead you get several packages that break things because they are keyworded.

Anyway, all of the software in ~x86 is considered stable by upstream and usually in stable software more bugs are fixed than are introduced, so that tends to balance out the risk of enduring mistakes by Gentoo's package maintainers. At the same time, ~x86 is not for people who need enterprise level reliability. If you are the sort of person that likes to run RHEL, you should stick with software from the stable tree.

By the way, the transition from x86 to ~x86 was relatively painless for me. Perhaps you are not following the migration guide:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ~86 vrs stable Reply with quote

carpenterguy wrote:
Am I alone with this? I do use my system as a desktop.

It may be because stable gets less package updates in the same time, obviously. So with more updates in ~arch, you're much more likely to rebuild packages that need it after an upgrade. With stable, you need to know what to rebuild (and I think that you need that with ~arch too, just a bit less).

Make sure you always run things like revdep-rebuild, dispatch-conf, python-updater, perl-cleaner, lafilefixer, and rebuild x11 drivers after an upgrade of xorg-servers. It would be interesting to see what problems you are referring to.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: