View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hailochild
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Getting stuck at login screen on shutdown with XFCE Reply with quote

When I click shutdown button from XFCE panel the system appears to shutdown fine but it get stuck with the login screen popping up just before turning off. I am using slim for my display manager. If I just do shutdown -h now from the terminal works like a charm as it's suppose to. Seems like the issue is similar as to if I used the command "Shutdown now". I'm thinking that when it hits the runlevel that normally prompts the user to hit ctrl+d to continue or enter password to enter maintenance mode it's causing the display manger to run. If I try to type halt in the screen it's as if everything else shutdown and I can't type anything in. It just hangs. Any tips or advice. =)
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you shutdown, the machine logs you out first. Slim is so important that it starts right after logging out, so it gets the focus. I had the same problem until I decided to just use xdm and be done with it ;)
hailochild
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well decided to just install gdm and see if that fix the problem and sure enough it did...sometimes I guess it's better to safe a little time and not try to fix every little thing. =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: