Some advise on a virtual machine solution
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Some advise on a virtual machine solution Reply with quote

Hello all,
I just got myself a "new" home server that I am looking to build up. Right now, I finally got gentoo running on it. ( see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-825216.html)

My next step is to see if I can't setup some virtual machines on it.

The goal is to have one of the VMs work as a router (most likely using linux) and another as a web server. This leaves the base OS relatively safe so I can use it as a file server.

On my old dual P2, I was using vmware to accomplish this. However, due to the fact that vmware-server 1 is no longer supported on recent kernels and that vmware-server2 as litle or no usable CLI, I am now looking to find another solution.

Requirements

1: Must have a fonctionnal CLI. I have no intention to install X on the machine and want to be able to automate some things, so I need a viable CLI.
2: Must not require the CPU to have support for virtualisation tech. These are old P3 @ 800Mhz.
3: If possible, I'd like to be able to take snapshots and revert to them. If required, I can always just copy the disk image back and forth.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Being able to remotely connect using a client would also be nice (say from my desktop)
alunduil
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into qemu or VirtualBox? Both seem like they would fit your solution although there are others out there. I forget which one Diego Petteno mentioned in his blog but that one may be worth a look as well.

Regards,

Alunduil
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtual box won't do, as it requires X. (I would rather avoid having X on a headless machine)

I'm looking into qemu.
alunduil
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, virtualbox has a headless use flag and has a rich set of command line utilities. I wouldn't rule it out but qemu does sound like it fits your needs better.

Regards,

Alunduil
XQYZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use qemu personally. It's really slow in my experience. VirtualBox on the other hand works really well for me and afaik does not necessarily require visualization support.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up having to settle for vmware-server2. All the other solutions are based around having the virtualisation extentions on the CPU. the old machine doesn't.
videanuadrian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: what about XEN Reply with quote

Hi , i`m using Xen Server 5.5 as a hypervisor, and i have a lot of machines on top of that. I manage to install gentoo on a server that doesn't have virtualization extension. This was a little tricky with gentoo but in the end worked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: