View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: [Solved] updated problem, xinerama problem Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have this error when I try to configure Xorg with

Code:
Xorg -configure

I looked for an answer in google and I found the same error here (in french) :

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-821267.html?sid=756abd38d27461a414338ebb7b996398

Unfortunately, I don't know what else to do.

Here is my configuration :

USE="hal X xorg symlink mmx sse sse2 -gtk -gnome qt3 qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

I already tried :

Code:
#emerge -1Nv xorg-server

hald is launched at startup, event interface and ATI Radeon are '*' in Kernel config

I have the last available kernel (2.6.32-r7).

Graphic Card : ATI HD 5850

Any help ?

Thank you.

Last edited by Ichika on Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the current versions of X, you don't need to configure xorg.conf. You will only need to mention your ATi card for 3D support. Firstly, you need to emerge a window manager or desktop environment, as TWM is no longer included by default.
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
With the current versions of X, you don't need to configure xorg.conf. You will only need to mention your ATi card for 3D support. Firstly, you need to emerge a window manager or desktop environment, as TWM is no longer included by default.

Hi,

I already installed KDE and when I do

Code:
startx

I have the common error :

Code:
No screen found

I think I'm gonna look further in the KDE/Xorg/... config files to see what's wrong.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, are you wanting to use the open-source drivers, or the "official" closed-source ones provided by ATi? If you want the closed-source ones, you will need to change your /etc/make.conf to:

Code:

VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"

At which point, you can then use aticonfig to manage your xorg.conf.
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do that. I'm not playing video games with Gentoo so I can easily work with the free ones. I have the latest Xorg too so I can't install the closed ones and I don't really want to downgrade Xorg to install closed drivers.

I installed xorg-x11 with "hal" in USE, apparently that is a condition to avoid the error message I got but still not working. How can I see if Xorg has been compiled with Hal ?

I just know that hald is running, I moved the fdi policy in the correct folder like the doc said (my computer is recent : < 2 months).

I really don't know what to do because I installed Gentoo in a virtual machine at first and when I got everything working, I decided to install it properly on my computer but apparently, I must have did something wrong, just don't know what.

Thanks for you help anyway.
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really no one to help ? I really don't know what to do.

If I do startx, I have the error "No screen found". If I do Xorg -configure (or X -configure), I have "No devices to configure. Configuration failed.".

Maybe I removed something in the kernel config but ATI Radeon is in the kernel conf (hd 5850).

Thank you.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything more in xorg log when run 'Xorg -configure' ?
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Is there anything more in xorg log when run 'Xorg -configure' ?

Hi,

here is the complete log :

http://users.skynet.be/fb521412/xorg.log

I don't think anything relevant but... is that normal that I have :

Code:
(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 1002:6899:1682:2970 ATI Technologies Inc rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfbbc0000/131072, I/O @ 0x0000b000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072

That's the first time I saw a line like this.

Thanks.
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Radeon Mobility 5870 HD, in my Asus G73Jh, and I was able to get it working correctly with the 10.4 beta, fglrx, driver from ATI. When I tried the open source radeon driver, I noted that it didn't support the 5870 chipset yet, so configuring the in kernel driver, as you did, won't work yet. I too want to switch to the open source drivers, but support for the 5000 series GPU is coming in the future, so your choices today are to use something standard like the vesa driver, or use the closed source ATI fglrx driver.

Anyway, in this Gentoo forum thread, the subject of installing the 10.4 beta fglrx driver is discussed, and in my post here, I described in detail how I configured my kernel, xorg.conf, and installed both the 10.4 beta fglrx driver, as well as a patched xorg-server 1.8.0, (in order to work with the driver).

Good Luck..
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasn wrote:
I have the Radeon Mobility 5870 HD, in my Asus G73Jh, and I was able to get it working correctly with the 10.4 beta, fglrx, driver from ATI. When I tried the open source radeon driver, I noted that it didn't support the 5870 chipset yet, so configuring the in kernel driver, as you did, won't work yet. I too want to switch to the open source drivers, but support for the 5000 series GPU is coming in the future, so your choices today are to use something standard like the vesa driver, or use the closed source ATI fglrx driver.

Anyway, in this Gentoo forum thread, the subject of installing the 10.4 beta fglrx driver is discussed, and in my post here, I described in detail how I configured my kernel, xorg.conf, and installed both the 10.4 beta fglrx driver, as well as a patched xorg-server 1.8.0, (in order to work with the driver).

Good Luck..

Hi,

thank you, I will be okay with the vesa for a while.

Bye. :)
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I replaced "radeon" drivers with "vesa", I had to install fbdev and vesa drivers and I have others errors (like /dev/fb0 not round).

Anyway, thank you for your help I'm going to keep searching why it isn't working but my initial problem is solved.

Cya.
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also want to make sure that your kernel is configured for vesa support;
Code:
Device Drivers --->
Graphics Support --->
<*> Support for frame buffer devices --->
[*]   VESA VGA graphics support

Good Luck..
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT :

point 1 is solved
point 2 is solved.
point 3 is solved but in my xorg.conf and ATI control center, I have 1920x1080 (while the other screen is 1280x1024) but not in KDE settings > display (for both screen, it's 1280x1024). How could I change that ? If I disable xinerama in the xorg.conf, it's okay but I can't use an extended desktop.

So, I might need some help for point 3. Thank you, it's my last problem. :)

===================

Hi again,

I finally get my kde environement working with ati drivers directly downloaded from the ati website but I have some questions.

how can I get my tty access back ?

because if i do *ctrl + alt + f1, f2...*, nothings happens. I can just restart X with ctrl + alt + bksp

For information, I could get access to tty when I used vesa drivers, I just can't since I installed the new drivers.

thank you for your help

I have other problems like

1) apparently I don't have accel even if I have closed ati drivers (gonna check in the kernel conf when I get my tty back)
2) can change user with su, will try to use "gpasswd -a myuser wheel", apparently, it's the group to be added to be able to become root with su (but if I correclty remember, wheel wasn't a correct group when I installed)
3) how can I configure my dual screen (first one is a 23" with 1920x1080 and second one with 1280x1024), I suppose it's in the ATI control center but I can't access since I can't get root privileges with my user on KDE (because of point 2)

So if anyone can help me with my first problem (tty), I think I'm gonna be able to fix the others.

Thank you.
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

it's my last problem to have a good system.

My problem is Xinerama.

I have the closed drivers 10.4 from ati website (not from the source, in fact, I have blocked the ati sources with portage/packages.blocked because I have xorg 1.7.6).

My USE has xinerama and xorg-server is compiled with that.

I have two screen

1) samsung syncmaster P2370 with native resolution 1920x1080
2) Iiyama ProLite E435S (1280x1024)

If I use the ATI Control Center

I can set options all right so :

dual screen with xinerama. After that, I had to reboot, what I did... but I only have the left screen in 1920x1080, I can move my mouse on the other one but it's a X and my desktop isn't extended. I checked the ATI control center and the options were back to Single Desktop.

If I force xinerama in the xorg.conf, I have an extended desktop BUT both screens have a 1280x1024 resolution and I don't want that.

Does someone know how to configure that to have an extended desktop with 1920x1080 for the first screen (left) and 1280x1024 on the second one (right) ?

I tried to configure that with xrandr but I have an error like : "extension randr missing on display".

Here are some informations that could help :

emerge --info =>
Quote:
Portage 2.1.8.3 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde, gcc-4.3.4, glibc-2.10.1-r1, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.32-gentoo-r7-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_860_@_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.13
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 01 May 2010 17:15:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.0_p37
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.10
dev-lang/python: 2.6.4-r1
dev-util/cmake: 2.6.4-r3
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.13
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.6-r2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.63-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.8.5-r4, 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc: 4.3.4
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.imj.fr/pub/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ http://mirrors.linuxant.fr/distfiles.gentoo.org/ http://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ ftp://mirrors.linuxant.fr/distfiles.gentoo.org/ http://gentoo.modulix.net/gentoo/ "
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
MAKEOPTS="-j12"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr embedded emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif gpm hal iconv ipv6 jpeg kde lcms ldap libnotify mad mikmod mmx mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt3 qt3support qt4 readline reflection sdl session spell spl sse sse2 ssl startup-notification svg symlink sysfs tcpd tiff truetype unicode usb vorbis x264 xcb xinerama xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

xorg.conf =>
Quote:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
Screen "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1" RightOf "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/freefonts"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/unifont"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/artwiz-aleczapka-en"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dri"
Load "dri2"
Load "record"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
Option "Position" "0 0"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
Option "Position" "1920 0"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 3200 1080
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

make.conf =>
Quote:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j12"

# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="embedded xinerama hal X xorg symlink mmx sse sse2 -gtk -gnome qt3 qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr truetype"

#UPDATE
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.imj.fr/pub/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ http://mirrors.linuxant.fr/distfiles.gentoo.org/ http://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ ftp://mirrors.linuxant.fr/distfiles.gentoo.org/ http://gentoo.modulix.net/gentoo/ "
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

#DRIVERS
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"

Thank you.
Ichika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved, it was a stupid mistake that I've done with aticonfig.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: