2.6 Kern, Burning and CDRW woes.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: 2.6 Kern, Burning and CDRW woes. Reply with quote

Hello!

Well I'm running mm-sources (2.6) as my kernel now. Love it. Fantastic. However, it's my understanding that scsi emulation is no longer needed to burn cds with this kernel. GREAT. The problem I'm having though, is mounting cdrws. I NEED the data that's on these. I believe I have all the appropriate file systems enabled in my kernel, even though these disks are NOT udf as far as I know (regardless the support for UDF IS in my kernel).

These cdrws were burned using WindowsXP, meaning the actually built in burning capabilities (in explorer).

I'm pretty sure at least. I don't know if that matters or not.

At any rate, when I try to mount the disks I get an error like this:

root@genbox / # mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0: Input/output error
mount: /dev/cdroms/cdrom0: can't read superblock
root@genbox / #

I would REALLY appreciate any help here. I'm pretty sure the disk is NOT empty. Furthermore, I've tried this on a few different disks.

Like I said it's my understanding that I do not need scsi support in my kernel with 2.6, nor do I need hda=ide-scsi

If someone knows for a fact otherwise please inform me (ANYONE ACTUALLY USING 2.6 AND AN IDE BURNER)?

My second issue is with k3b.

I'm getting errors saying it can't find cdrecord and cdrdao... well I have them both emerged. The ebuild notes said not to let it change permissions for me, so I went that route first. Well that didn't work so I went back to k3bsetup and let it make the permission changes. Still didn't work. I'm lost here, and I'd really like to use k3b, after all I did waste a bunch of time emerging it when I don't even like/use/need/want ANYTHING kde related.

Thanks guys.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the microsoft extentions enabled in your kernel? That could be your problem reading the cd's. As far as scsi emulation. I tried without sucess to burn cd's without it. It seems that is is/should/will be available. I guess we will see as the kernel matures and apps start to take advantage of it's features. In the meantime I would just use scsi emulation.
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Well my experience using the scsi emulation is that my second cdrom will become /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and as for my first cdrom (cdrom0 without scsi enabled) disapears. I can't figure out where it is... I don't see a sg0 or anything like that. So, my question then would be where's my cdrom go?

Am I enabling ide-scsi correctly? Compiling all needed items into the kernel and adding /dev/hdc=ide-scsi right?

-mawst
xr31Daisy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6 Kern, Burning and CDRW woes. Reply with quote

mawst wrote:
Like I said it's my understanding that I do not need scsi support in my kernel with 2.6, nor do I need hda=ide-scsi

If someone knows for a fact otherwise please inform me (ANYONE ACTUALLY USING 2.6 AND AN IDE BURNER)?

Yes ! an IDE CD-burner on my laptop, with the 2.6-test4 kernel. "cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb ... " works just fine, despite a small warning message about the device accessing method not being supported. ( But the 'official' method with dev=ATAPI:0,1,0 never worked for me. )

And to mount it, I use mount /dev/hdb, not /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Mind pasting your fstab so I can have a look at it?
Dillinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Never mind, it was my own stupid mistake.

Last edited by Dillinger on Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Yeah,

Essentially in my experience what happens when you eneable the scsi stuff in the kernel and then add /dev/hdx=ide-scsi the drive will disapear completely... at least for me... I can't find the drive at all when I do that....
deuce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens when you type:
Code:
ls /dev/scsi/host?/bus?/target?/lun?

I get the following:
Code:
dev $ ls /dev/scsi/host?/bus?/target?/lun?
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0:
cd  generic

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0:
cd  generic

if you see "cd" when you run `ls`, then that is where your ide-scsi cd-burner is located.

/dev/cdroms/cdrom* are links set up by devfsd. You can see that inside of /etc/devfsd.conf. /dev/sr0 and sr1 are links to my ide-scsi drivers
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I'll check into it... I'll post my results here.
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

root@genbox mawst # ls /dev/scsi
root@genbox mawst #

This is with scsi emulation generic support and scsi cdrom support as well as /dev/hdc=ide-scsi on my kernel line in grub.

I don't know what's up here.
ObiPerrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had problems making scsi emulation apply to an ATAPI burner in the 2.6 kernel from bootup. Upon boot, it would complain something along the lines of scsi_hostadapter for 3 lines, then move on. This didn't appear in dmesg later when I tried to re-read what it said. If nothing in scsi is coming up as you boot, you could try 'lsmod' to see if the module is actually loaded at all. With 2.6, regardless of what I had in LILO and modules.conf, it would never autoload. Now I'm just using the later version of cdrecord though for native ATAPI burning with no problems. Mounting the cd in this setup is simply a matter of 'mount /dev/hdc'. Here's the line from my fstab:

Code:
/dev/hdc      /mnt/cdrom   auto      user

If I recall, each time I wanted to use scsi emulation in 2.6, I had to manually modprobe ide-scsi.

Oh, and one gotcha that worried me for a while with 2.6 and k3b is that it will not detect the cdwriter if it's mounted.
jmcross3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6 Kern, Burning and CDRW woes. Reply with quote

xr31Daisy wrote:
mawst wrote:

Yes ! an IDE CD-burner on my laptop, with the 2.6-test4 kernel. "cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb ... " works just fine, despite a small warning message about the device accessing method not being supported. ( But the 'official' method with dev=ATAPI:0,1,0 never worked for me. )

And to mount it, I use mount /dev/hdb, not /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.

he speaks the truth with the 2.6 test kernels use dev=/dev/hdx - the "x" corresponding to what your cdrom driver letter is, in my case hdd. Do not enable scsi emulation, but you do need to enable atapi cdrom stuff.
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsi emulation gives you /dev/sr0 usually for the first scsi emulated cddrive if that is your problem?
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I've messed with this... I actually swictched back to 2.4.22 for awhile but I'm back in 2.6, I managed to get som esound issues worked out (via patches though, but that's ok) I just haven't got around to cdrom stuff yet... I guess if I have to I'll use the cdrecord util, even though I'd rather use something like k3b... But I want to use this right... 2.6 is designed to enable ATAPI burning, and that's what I want. :D

I'll post my results here soon (probably after I'm done messing with winex for awhile).

Cheers!

mawst
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they do get k3b fixed for atapi, would be a shame to not have that working. Personally I don't use k3b too often, mostly cdrecord from console, but still sometimes i'm too lazy to type in commands.
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for us gnome users, the nautilus-cd-burner works with atapi, in fact its the only gui cd burning program i know of that works with atapi.
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Dark Archon wrote:
for us gnome users, the nautilus-cd-burner works with atapi, in fact its the only gui cd burning program i know of that works with atapi.

But isn't it just a front-end to cdrecord? I'm fairly sure it is. And can it burn images (bin/sue etc.).
tman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: K3b issue with cdrecord and cdrdao Reply with quote

I am not sure if you already solved the problem with k3b not recognizing the cdrecord and cdrdao. I had the same problem, I had to change the permissions on these two files to include execute in the all users group. After that I just reran k3b setup and it found them no problem.

I am not sure why the cdrecording group created by k3b did not work. Not sure I like this fix either

:D
cult hero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few notes (albiet way late)...

ATAPI buring has always worked just fine for me in k3b (and it's the reason I jumped to the 2.6 kernel initially). Well it did up until I added the scsi modules so I could read a firewire drive... but that's an issue for another thread.

The reason for not being able to access the data on those CD-RWs is most likely the result of packet writing software as opposed to a normally mastered burn. I have never used packet writing software but generally you need some sort of software like that to read the data. An example is DirectCD. I have no idea if there is a Linux equivelant but I'm sure there is.
Narux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find it to be because CD-RWs [written using packet writing] use the UDF filesystem, not the iso9660 one, and you'll need kernel support for it too.

Edit: Spelling and []

Last edited by Narux on Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly related note, has anyone else noticed they can't disable SCSI in 2.6?

I've got a USB-connected HP CDWriter that I use with my laptop at work. I had very little trouble configuring it in 2.4 and even erased/burned a couple of CDRWs. When I switched to 2.6, I disabled all the SCSI options, but still see the SCSI startup message on boot. I even went so far as to edit the .config file and alter the CONFIG_SCSI=y line, but during the rebuild it got turned back on...

I haven't tried using the burner yet, and won't be able to until I go back to work next year. I just wondered if anyone with an IDE-connected burner had noticed the same thing. If I have time over the next couple of weeks I'll try removing the burner from the config and see if that makes a difference.
cult hero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that while setting up my laptop too and yet I seem to remember having it disabled on my desktop. I haven't really looked but I believe it has something to do with PCMCIA or cardbus or whatever. I could be wrong... but it seems that every bus out there uses SCSI for something.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Dark Archon wrote:

Gnome shmome. Works great in IceWM.

Thanks for the tip EDA. Yay. :)

If you're already running nautilus, you can just goto burn:/// drop your files in there, and hit the button. It'll give you some options right then. Haven't tried an .iso yet.

Edit: Burning a CD at 1% CPU never felt so good. :)

Last edited by beandog on Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linus hates scsi-emulation. Hes always hated it. From what I read he was really happy to do away with it in 2.6, so if you're still doing hdx=ide-scsi with 2.6, stop. 2.6 does support atapi. Since its new though, you need to update a lot of stuff. Emerge the ~x86 version of cdrtools and k3b and the cvs version of cdrdao. Presto, you'll have ATAPI burning.

Here are my versions:
k3b-0.10.3-r2
cdrtools-2.01_alpha20
cdrdao-1.1.8_pre2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: