Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I am new to Gentoo, and unsure where to start.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: I am new to Gentoo, and unsure where to start. Reply with quote

Here's some info, in case it's relevant to the following questions:\

ADSL => ROUTER => Hub => this computer

1.4GHz AMD TBird
512MB DDR
40GB HDD 7200RPM
Sound Blaster Live
GeForce 3
plextor cd-r/w
sony 16x DVD-rom
Realmagic Hollywood+ hardware DVD decoder

I am not terribly familiar with linux, but I'm so sick of WinXP that I trashed it, and decided that Gentoo is the way to go.

I installed off of the LiveCD + stage 3 tarball, and aside from DHCP idiocy everything was hunky dory.

Now I uninstalled KDE, and have only command line interface left.
I have root and a standard user account set up.

Here's what I want / what I want to do.

I _must_ be able to write and compile java to bytecode, or I will not be able to continue school
I'd like to be able to log in over ssh

I don't know which window manager to use, WindowMaker looks kinda cool, but I keep hearing KDE and Gnome, plus a bunch of *boxes...
Suggestions on how to choose a window manager?

Where do I find configuration file for *stuff* in gentoo?
X config
system config?
ethernet setup?

etc....

I'd like to be able to use one program for email/calendar/PDA synchronization/newsgroups
I'd really like to still be able to use my DVD drive. my hardware DVD decoder may be sold soon, I don't think I need it, but I don't know yet.

How do I change the keyboard layout, and mouse style?\
I'll be buying a new keyboard soon, (damn coke)
my mouse is a logitech ps2 2button + scrollwheel/button3

how can I figure out what packages are available over portage?

Thats everything off the top of my head, what I'd really like to do, is turn my system back to a basic gentoo install, and then load WM and stuff fresh, but I don't know how to.

I thank everyone in advance for all their help!

~ Moo
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of Gentoo :D

I suggest that you start by looking at all the excellent documentation that exists. From the questions you asked, I think it will answer all of them.

If you still have unanswered questions, feel free to post a follow up. :)

Erik
Moo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I missed something bloody obvious (and it's very possible, I'm going to double check as soon as I get this out) the documentation is _Excellent_ for installing with little to no prior knowledge, but distinctly lacking in a more generic introduction to linux.

And in 30 seconds we'll find out whether or not I'm talking out of my ass!

~ Moo
Moo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, ass = mouth

I'm gonna have a nice long chat with the Gentoo Linux Configuration Guide, and if all goes well you'll never hear from me again :O)

Kidding of course, once I get this stuff figured out you'll never get rid of me!
MWUHAHAHAHA....

~ Moo
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

We really don't wanna loose you :)

Erik
Moo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aawww! One day, and already I'm loved!

It's all going to plan! :twisted:

~ Moo
Moo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, me and the config guide are done, I've read the portage guide.

I have a problem / question.

"USE" ... how important are the 'evo' 'qt' 'kde' etc...?
I'm not sure I understand the function.

Also I have a distinct advantage when it comes to learning by doing vs learning from reading
So I was hoping someone could tell me how to do the following:

Set up windowmaker and fluxbox, I'd like to try them both,
install file manager, and other 'tools' programs.

I need a stable windowed environment with java development capability as soon as possible.

I'd like to be able to play DVD divx and mpeg as well, as this computer is connected to my stereo.

The more people help me do now, the faster I'll learn.

Thanx again for any responses!

~ Moo
entropyuva
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mkay, basically the different USE flags allow software in portage to be compiled with/without certain options. if you have qt in your USE flags any program that can use the qt library will be compiled with support for qt. Some programs have to use qt so if you try emerge them with -qt in your USE flags it will try to install qt anyways because it has to choice. if you try to compile a program that can be compiled with or without qt it will follow your USE flags

Quote:
install file manager, and other 'tools' programs.

i use windowmaker myself, basically you "emerge windowmaker" then add:
Code:
exec wmaker

to the bottom of your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file (also remove the line(s) for whatever the current windowmanager is, probably twm if you have a fresh xfree86 install)

Quote:

I need a stable windowed environment with java development capability as soon as possible.

type "emerge blackdown-jdk" and wait several hours of it to compile :(

Quote:
I'd like to be able to play DVD divx and mpeg as well, as this computer is connected to my stereo.

i prefer xine for all of that but your miles may vary
and of course those are all legal divx and mpegs right? :twisted:
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entropyuva has replied as I was replying, but since this is written anyway, might as well post it! :)

Moo wrote:

I'll give a try for that one! :) The USE flags are used to enable options in certain programs. For example, if you put "cdr" in your use flags and emerge KDE, Portage will understand that it should compile the KonCD application. Likewise, specifying "-gnome" means that you do not want application to enable optional gnome-related options, for example in XMMS (an MP3 player). However, if you want to install an application that *requires* (part of) Gnome, such as GAIM (AIM/ICQ/Jabber/etc.), Portage will still install those parts, because otherwise the application wouldn't work. So again, the USE flags only dictate options for applications.

use the etcat command to find out if a package can use a USE flag. For example:

Code:
black@blackbox black $ etcat uses windowmaker
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend      : (U) Col 1 - Current USE flags        ]
[             : (I) Col 2 - Installed With USE flags ]
[ No USE flags found for : x11-themes/windowmaker-themes ]

U I [ Found these USE variables in : x11-wm/windowmaker-0.80.2-r2 ]
 + - gif   : Adds GIF image support
 + - nls   : unknown
 + - png   : Adds support for libpng (PNG images)
 + - kde   : Adds support for kde-base/kde (K Desktop Enviroment)
 + - oss   : Adds support for OSS (Open Sound System)
 + - jpeg  : Adds JPEG image support
 + - gnome : Adds GNOME support

Moo wrote:

emerge --pretend windowmaker fluxbox

If you're happy with what will be emerged, just remove the "--pretend" thing. I admit there might be some more configurations required, but I haven't installed those, so I can't say!

Moo wrote:

I'm running with KDE, and I'd call it stable. Others will probably talk about Gnome, and that's fine too, I think it's really a matter of preference. Java can be handled with Sun's, IBM's or BlackDown's JDK. Do an "emerge -s jdk" to see the list, and pick one. I use BlackDown's, although I don't really program in Java.

As for the IDE, look around, but I've installed Borland's JBuilder Personal Edition, which is free. It works the same way as the Windows version, in case you used it before. There's no ebuild for that, though, so you will have to download it from Borland's web site and follow the installation instructions.

Moo wrote:

I use Xine for that (emerge xine-ui) and it works well. I've seen MPlayer beeing praised as well.

Hope this helps! :D
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thought i would toss in my $.02 as well. as for java ide's, my java class uses jgrasp in the lab and there is a linux version available. Another IDE that is getting a lot of attention is eclipse. I haven't had too much time to fiddle with it, but it looks pretty good (search the forums here, i'm sure there are several threads that can help you). There are probably tons of other IDE's as well, since most java IDE's are written w/ java they are portable.

As for Desktop environments/wm's.. you can emerge several, why stick to just one? I have 6 installed on my system. If you are new to linux, kde or gnome will probably feel the most comfortable. Then you have the *box's, xfce4 (a lot of people are growing real fond of this one), etc, so on, so forth. If you use kdm or gdm you can select which environment you use when you log in. happy gentooing!
Moo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for very, very, very helpfull advice. I love you all!
But about java - IDEs? I'm familiar with the term, but we've just used notepad and command line compile/run under winNT4 at school :O)

We supposedly have JBuilder, but it's never worked properly yet :O)
I just need the simple basics, so most likely I'll go wiht SUN's jdk.

Now, Entropyuva - the mpg's are scans of TV shows (I love Family Guy!) which is probably if not definitely illegal. Do I care? Not terribly. (Oh yeah, we have an *ethics* class this semester, focusing on intellectual property etc... yay!) the DivX videos, are copies of my DVDs that live on my 20GIG archos MP3 player...movies wherever I go! Yay!

Thnx again everyone, when I get home later I'll have to follow all of your instructions...

Now if I were smarter I'd have SSH set up already, and wouldn't have to wait until I get home :D

~ Moo
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo wrote:
Aawww! One day, and already I'm loved!

It's all going to plan! :twisted:

~ Moo

Not loved.. more like we are clingy and needy.

DON'T LEAVE US !!!!

oh and welcome
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing with Gentoo just because I hate Microsoft and I need to learn Linux for my career CSC. I started out learning how to do simple stuff like: bootsplash, gfxmenu, burning cds, etc... and reading various posts or guides on how to do it and troubleshoot problems on the way. By doing this helped learn how to configure kernels, troubleshoot a variety of problems, Understand why gentoo is the best linux ever , and a lot of linux commands. People are also very helpful in these forums and helped me learn a lot about gentoo. So I would start out with what interests you the most: programming, gaming, servers, databases, etc. and learn how to do it.

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: