Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Problems after time "downgrade".
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cibonato
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Problems after time "downgrade". Reply with quote

Dear users, I had to reboot my system to check something in the BIOS and then I realized that the time there was not set up correctly. It was GMT and was not GMT - 3 (I'm in Montevideo, Uruguay); so I adjust that to GMT, boot the system using single mode user and adjust /etc/conf.d/clock so that Gentoo is using CLOCK="UTC".

Everything great and the system boot up all right. I have been using this system for a couple of days and then I realized that I made a mistake when setting the date up. I interchanged the month and day and started using YYYY-MM-DD format instead of YYYY-DD-MM (the former is the format I expected and was indeed the format I thought the BIOS was using, but I was wrong, the correct one is the latter). :oops:

So, once was realized what was going on, I reboot the system again to correct the date and one more time boot the system. During 2 days the date was wrong. Here problems begin...

All of sudden ddclient stop updating the IP my system catch from the ISP. I think there is a file in the system controlling if the IP have to be updated or not. I've searched for files with modification time in the future and adjusted the modification time using the date I suppose I made the mistake.

So, any suggestion?

Greetings.

Last edited by cibonato on Tue May 25, 2010 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn't worry about BIOS time. It is used only as a reference at bootup. Set up NTP if not yet done so and forget your time troubles.
Not using ddclient myself, maybe it has some file in /var to be deleted to restore its normal behavior.

Google tells: ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet
cibonato
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot to mark this topic as [SOLVED]. It turns out ddclient keeps a cache somewhere in the system (I don't know exactly where) and there it stores the last time the DNS was updated, so the date that was indeed stored was in the future.

Using the --force option did the job and now everything is working again.

Greetings and thank you all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: