not detecting NIC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ootneg1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: not detecting NIC Reply with quote

hey guys. last night i was installing gentoo and i believe i booted with the latest live cd. i should say that when i booted to my usb device--using ipod's removable storage--it did not prompt--or even load--the live cd environment, it went straight to a terminal. i didnt even realize it until today, when i started over. i booted into it again, but this time, i dont know why, it loaded the livecd environment. i clicked alt+f1 to go to a terminal and i tried installing gentoo again; however, this time, gentoo did not detect my nic. i tried using
Code:

modprobe e1000e

but that did not work. is there anything else i can do? why did the first boot not load the live cd environment, and how can i replicate that? thanks guys
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you put the liveCD in did you make sure to load from disk and not your hard-drive. Sometimes a disk will load the hard-drive if no key is pressed within a certain amount of time. You can always tell when you loaded the CD or your hard-drive because of the terminal difference will say:

Code:
liveCD#

and your hard-drive terminal will say something like:

Code:
localhost#

or whatever you defined in your hosts.

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
ootneg1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it boots from the livecd. also, another thing is that when i boot into the hdd i had installed gentoo on, it gives me a grub error 22, which is weird, because i formatted the hard drive...
i formatted it via window's diskpart as well as via gentoo's fdisk....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: