Configuring screens [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Configuring screens [SOLVED] Reply with quote

As posted elsewhere, I'm trying to get Gentoo up and running on a PowerMac dual G5. The video, whilst partly working, is sub-optimal. Firstly, it is necessary to add video=ofonly to the kernel arguments to avoid an enormous amount of 'snow' which is present even while the system is still booting in text mode.

The video card is
lspci:
0000:f0:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
and I've built the xf86-video-ati driver for it. The card has two ports. One is the Apple all-in-one 'fat DVI' which combines signal, power and USB. This drives the main screen which is 1920x1200. The other socket is a standard DVI-D which drives another (secondary) screen which is 1600x1200. What happens is that the main screen is driven at 1600x1200 (leaving a strip of blank or random noise down the rightmost edge) and the secondary screen is not driven at all. The desktop thinks it is 1920x1200 because status messages which are supposed to appear at bottom right are almost off the screen. Also,
ls -l /dev/fb*:
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 May 24 13:50 /dev/fb0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 1 May 24 13:50 /dev/fb1
so it seems that the two screens have been picked up at the device level but X is not seeing them correctly. Can anyone advise on how to set the two screens up ? Ideally as one continuous screen of 2520x1200 with the secondary screen to the left.

Kernel .config, should it be relevant, is at http://www.pastebin.org/273114

Last edited by mounty1 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Configuring screens Reply with quote

mounty1 wrote:
to the kernel arguments to avoid an enormous amount of 'snow' which is present even while the system is still booting in text mode.

saddly i know nothing about ati cards, except a previous experience i have with one that scared me of ATI for years.

but for the snow problem, this should remove it
Code:
rc-update add consolefont boot
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Configuring screens Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
but for the snow problem, this should remove it
Code:
rc-update add consolefont boot
Thanks but really it is the configuration under X that is bothering me.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: next thrilling instalment Reply with quote

Continued at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-829627-highlight-.html.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: