Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part III<Closed. Please use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more stupid question.

After we went through what we did to get a happy-ish kernel using a seed, what's the best way to upgrade from there and how often to upgrade it?

I'm tempted to say make oldconfig for upgrading, and stay to the same strategy as before: Look at what it gets me and see if I need that fix or feature.

But I'm not sure how make oldconfig works, and not sure if waiting too long causes the settings to be less likely to transfer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make oldconfig is definitely your friend. If you attempt to update via make menuconfig, etc. and skip that step, the kernel starts make oldconfig anyway...although, at that point, I think it's technically make silentoldconfig.

As for how often to update, that depends on your own personal preferences along with any serious security updates that have been floated for found exploits. I like to try at least two of each kernel version.

I usually wind up sticking with the zen-sources, but usually start every new kernel family by using the newest vanilla-sources once they go from rc to standard issue. I'm thinking .36 should be somewhere near release, so I'll probably be working with that version soon enough.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing on the edge of done. It's a nice place to be...almost.

I've just uploaded Settings Page 12. The two sections of the kernel left will most likely be rolled into one page.

Check it out.

Cheers,
Pappy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna check your guide for sure :P
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem that I see with that kind of documentation is that you will need to keep your settings up to date, because right now you refer to kernel 2.6.31 and the latest stable is 2.6.34.

This is the main reason why Gentoo-Quebec doesn't provide a documentation about that subject, because we cannot be up to date all the time.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing is that kernel changes tend to be shuffling around that which already exists, and adding new and exciting stuff. The good thing is family to family, a lot of the basics stay the same. Where they are activated might change, but the settings remain.

Of course, I'll have to update, but now that the basics are done, it will be a lot less work to update.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little something has been brewing in the world of Gentoo sources. As a result, I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r20, 2.6.34-gentoo-r12, and 2.6.35-gentoo-r11 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take this chance to thank mephist0 for his donation to kernel-seeds.org. I will be adding his name to the Above and Beyond page when I wake later today. My most heartfelt thanks.

If anyone else feels the need to donate, I sure could use the cash. You'll get your name trumpeted and permanently enshrined in the Above and Beyond page. You'll get my undying appreciation. I'll get a desperately needed cash infusion. It's a win win!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r22, 2.6.35-hardened-r4, 2.6.36, and 2.6.36-gentoo in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears there's a new kernel issue big enough to attract ZDnet's attention. Read about it here. I've checked the article, and the seeds. This is caused by CONFIG_RDS being turned on. As long as you've been using the standard kernel seed, and haven't turned on CONFIG_RDS, you are fine.

I'm assuming there's going to be a patch for this soon, or new kernel versions coming out. I haven't see anything at kernel.org yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected a flurry of activity in kernel source land as per the exploit above. However, it appears that any updates that fix the above issue (other than applying the patch or NOT using the evil CONFIG_RDS setting in the first place) are just trickling out.

For instance, tuxonice trickled, so I just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-tuxonice-r19, 2.6.34-tuxonice-r8, and 2.6.35-tuxonice-r6 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

I segue well sometimes.

Cheers!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r23 and 2.6.35-hardened-r5 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Also, the failover is currently down. I expect it up in a day or so.

Also, also, much thanks to d2_racing for his donation to the site. I totally appreciate it! You rock, dude! I should have the A&B page done sometime later today. Until then, my most humble thanks to a really cool person.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as promised, I've updated the Above and Beyond page to include mephist0 and d2_racing. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuxonice is on the move again. A curious thing since tuxonice is about hibernating. hehehehe

Anyway, I just uploaded .configs for 2.6.36-tuxonice in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel.org has finally updated some of their older source. Of course, that means new seeds. I've just uploded .configs for 2.6.27.55, 2.6.32.25, and 2.6.35.8 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something for which I've been waiting for for a while...the zen-sources folks finally got a new zen version in the git. I've uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r21, 2.6.35-gentoo-r12, and 2.6.36-zen0 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

I know I'm going to be trying the new zen out as soon as I post this. Woohoo!

Cheers,
Pappy
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which would be the best version to use? in that i mean you have gentoo-source which seems to have one or two patches, or should we use vanilla kernels? or does it not really matter?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want. Gentoo sources are fully supported by Gentoo (natch). Vanilla isn't technically supported by Gentoo, but in reality, since gentoo-sources is a small set of patches, it really is. Tuxonice allows full hibernation. Hardened is for high security applications. Vanilla is the mother of them all.

My personal preference is for zen-sources. They are made to be faster than usual, and this definitely shows up. For instance, I am running the latest zen-sources. My secondary kernel image is also a zen-sources special. I will usually use the latest family release in vanilla form until the zen is released.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no new zen in portage, but hope springs eternal. I just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r24 and 2.6.35-hardened-r6 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks pappy for your work on this.

Your site must be included into the kernel documentation, at least the parts dealing about the identification of the hardware and the associated tools.

I just did a new kernel (gentoo-2.6.36) by following your advices and find a little piece of hardware that I missed previously.

I am also trying the nouveau driver instead of nvidia. This make me to shift to KMS. I am using fvwm with fvwm-crystal, so I don't need all those fancy 3D stuffs like in kde. Good 2D performances are more important to me. I am not a gamer either, I prefer real games :).

After reading all the comments about KMS, I was a little bit nervous. I think that this page summarize the situation :

Quote:
KMS and nouveaufb are inseparable.

Your boot time virtual console display driver affects the compatibility of nouveaufb:

* VGA text mode: works
* vesafb: works (hand-over) (more reliable for >= 2.6.35)
* efifb: works (hand-over) (fixed in 2.6.33, commit; more reliable for >= 2.6.35)
* offb: might work (hand-over) after fixes in offb (merged in 2.6.33), but still some problems
* vga16fb: works (hand-over) (>= 2.6.35)
* nvidiafb: does not work (does not make sense, either)
* rivafb: does not work (ditto)
* anything else: most likely does not work
* nvidia, the proprietary driver: does not work (included in the list of incompatible kernel modules, just for completeness)

So, vga will work with KMS. Vesa, efifb and vga16fb will work with kernel >= 2.6.35, and anything else will not work at all or with some bad issues.

What I can say is than nouveau and KMS is working better than the nvidia driver with my card (GeForce 8800 GT) and fvwm. It is faster both within X and when shifting between X and the root consoles. In conclusion, KMS was made to work with nouveau :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may experiment with nouveau some time in the future, but for now, I really like what nvidia-drivers gives me with my amd64. I'm not one to be jumping on change bandwagons.

As for KMS, with the advent of the .35 kernels, I've found that at least for my Intel GPU, it finally works in what I'd call a fairly stable manner. Before that time, I didn't recommend it at all. That has somewhat changed, obviously, and I will most likely change the part in the pages that warn against it.

On another topic, the tuxonice folks delivered a new bit of source, so naturally, I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-tuxonice-r20 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
scouter389
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered an error on the site homepage today where it looks like an udate got insterted by accident. the line is:
Quote:
Since I set my systems for speed and stability, you get both from Pappy'10-02-2010: added .configs for 2.6.32.24 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!s kernel seeds.

pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a definite mistake during an update. Thanks for pointing it out. It's been fixed.

Not only that, the hardened-sources people dropped some new sources...and that means new seeds. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r25, 2.6.35-hardened-r7, and 2.6.36-hardened in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
As for KMS, with the advent of the .35 kernels, I've found that at least for my Intel GPU, it finally works in what I'd call a fairly stable manner. Before that time, I didn't recommend it at all. That has somewhat changed, obviously, and I will most likely change the part in the pages that warn against it.

I am not sure if it will be a right move. I am back to the nvidia driver because nouveau + KMS was crashing a few times. I was able to shut down the PC with the magic keys and that is a good thing, but I don't like at all when the whole system is freezing. After the third crash, I done a new kernel for the nvidia driver.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!

Well, I can say that KMS does finally work on Intel GPU's. As for the rest, I'll have to take the words of others, because at this point, I really don't want to change to nouveau. I also don't have an ATI equipped machine to check KMS with that ether

Cheers,
Pappy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: