Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part III<Closed. Please use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorgon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pappy

I had a problem with Gentoo on my netbook
With 32bit kernel versions (2.6.34 and 2.6.36) I had the same problem with ext4 : "Filesystem with huge files cannot be mountes RDWR without CONFIG_LBDAF"
So, I suppose you may add "CONFIG_LBDAF=y" for 32bit seeds
I've solved my problem in this way
I hope that my report could be useful

Thanks for your (great) work

Greetings
Gorgon
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the issues involved in supporting a file system that still causes issues for many, mostly the fact I won't sacrifice data (or time to do a test install on ext4) to a quirky (read buggy) file system, I don't support ext4. I support ext2, 3, and reiserfs3. I will add your bit of info somewhere in the seeds setup, as tip to those who wish to work with ext4. I will eventually have to redo everything. :SHUDDER:

On the topic of seeds, I've been working on music production as we're nearing the end of production on one project, and starting production on another. For that reason, I've been a bit lazy in updating the page. I really hate just putting up one seed revision at a time. So, I was a bit lazy, but got active tonight.

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r26, 2.6.36-gentoo-r1, 2.6.36-hardened-r1, and 2.6.36-tuxonice-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a problem with other large-file filesystems? I'm using XFS, but I had debated using EXT4.

I need to have large files, but I'm now wondering if I'm flirting with disaster.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that XFS is sensitive to being shut down improperly, and recouping one's losses datawise can be intense. I cannot comment on that. I have some references to different file systems on the settings pages in the seeds web site.

My personal favorite is reiserfs3, as I have found it to be fast, robust, fairly stable even when forced to shut down in a less than graceful fashion. Ext3 would be my next choice, but I have noted that it can be really sensitive to improper shutdown as well...and I have lost some data to ext3. Be that as it may, ext3 is very popular, and in some cases, the only option a given distro provides.

Google is your friend when you need this kind of info. File system debates can become fairly intense, and there is a lot of information you must read through before you can make a proper decision.

Cheers,
Pappy
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using reiser 3 for a long time and have not lost any data, even though I've had to power button the machine off a few times.
It may not be the fastest or shiniest but it's been reliable for me.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, any of those high performance filesystems like XFS, JFS, whatever are sensitive to power failure. Reiser maybe a bit less than the others. I don't have dual power supplies, but I have a really good UPS and the computer will actually shut itself down when the battery gets low, I've tested it.

So far the most serious power failure was cat-induced. The cat walked across the desk while I wasn't looking, rubbed against both monitors, turned them both off in one try, and I cycled power because I didn't have another computer handy and the sun was shining on the power light, so I couldn't see it. Fortunately nothing was going on with the XFS drive and I don't think I lost anything.

So far I don't have any VMs running on this box, so the only thing XFS gets used for is database backups, ISO images, downloads and other large files. There are a couple VMs sitting there but I haven't had a chance to get to them.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
It may not be the fastest or shiniest but it's been reliable for me.

Which is exactly why I use reiserfs3. I decided when I got back into Linux, I wanted reliability first and foremost.

Ext3 was slow and sometimes sensitive to shutdowns without grace. Ext2 isn't journaled. Reiserfs3 showed none of those issues, and as I've said before, has been very reliable.

The only thing I don't like reiserfs3 is the kernel devs keep trying to mess with it because of it being associated with the Big Kernel Lock. In all their fussing with it, it remains that way. They say the idea is to make reiserfs3 faster. I say, it's just to give new devs something with which to experiment.

Still, considering all the choices, I'll stick with reiserfs3.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, my IP address changed sometime between last night and today. The main site is now back up. My apologies for any inconvenience.

I also forgot to post that I have uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r27 and 2.6.36-hardened-r2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another busy, busy day, more kernel source releases than I really needed considering how much else I had to do. Oh well. Life is like that sometimes.

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.27.56, 2.6.32.26, 2.6.32-gentoo-r22, 2.6.32-tuxonice-r21, 2.6.35.9, 2.6.35-gentoo-r13, 2.6.35-tuxonice-r8, 2.6.36.1, 2.6.36-gentoo-r2, 2.6.36-gentoo-r3, and 2.6.36-tuxonice-r2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pappy

I just rebuild my gentoo-sources-2.6.36-r1 using your amd64 kernel seed. It seems to work so far, but there are some messages on startup that I can't handle.

The messages out of my dmesg
Code:

[    5.434011] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[   10.432009] ata5: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
[   15.632011] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[   20.477009] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
[   25.677010] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[   30.522008] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
[   35.722011] ata5: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[   65.557012] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
[   70.604009] ata5: SRST failed (errno=-16)
[   70.604054] ata5: reset failed, giving up
[    0.423174] microcode: no support for this CPU vendor

The ata5 message seems to be about my IDE DVD-RW drive. My only other drive is a sata harddisk which seems to work fine.

dmesg
.config
lspci -n
/proc/cpuinfo
/etc/fstab

If you need more information I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting that from an optical drive, the drive is most likely bad. You can verify this by booting the machine via that optical drive. If you can't get the system to boot (which appears likely), then the drive is definitely bad. If it boots slowly, it's on its way to dead. If it boots cold, let the system heat up and retest. If it fails to boot hot, then it's still the drive.

For verification, take the data cable from the drive in question and see if you get the same issues showing. If not (most likely), then you have a bad drive.

Cheers,
Pappy
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really was the drive that was dead.
The good news is that I didn't mess up the kernel config. :)

Sorry about bothering you.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. I didn't become what I am in the Gentoo community by being picky or rude to others. It is my honor to help people get their machines running Linux properly. I always keep that axiom foremost in my head.

Happy Gentooing!

Cheers,
Pappy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pappy, did you try the kernel 2.6.37 with the 200 lines of pure magics ?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/20/91

I have 2 friends that have some old box and that patch will revive some old P4 :P
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not heard of that. I don't usually mess with release candidate kernels. In this case, I might see about playing with it later on this week or some such.

Thanks for the note.

And let me wish a happy Thanksgiving to my American friends here. Hope y'all didn't eat everything in sight.

Cheers,
Pappy
Jerichoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I am curios about the kernel types.are the gentoo,hardened,tuxonice,vanilla and zen same kernel with different config or what is the their difference in dept?which one is the fastest for gentoo?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerichoo,

The basic kernel from kernel.org is called vanilla. Its Linus's kernel with no changes.
hardened,tuxonice,vanilla and zen all have different patch sets to extend the functionality.

hardened has a patch set that makes it harder for crackers to break into your system. It needs to be used with a hardened toolchain.
tuxonice has a patch set to make suspend and hibernation easier to set up.
zen is an experimentail 'go faster' kernel.

gentoo-sources is vanilla with some useful enhancements from the next development version of vanillia.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jerichoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much:D. and by the way how can you test your kernel to make sure that your kernel is faster or slower than usual(vanilla)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerichoo,

If you time something, like
Code:
time cat /usr/src/linux/.config
time will give you three numbers
Code:
real   0m0.088s
user   0m0.000s
sys   0m0.004s
real, is the elapsed time the command took.
user is the time in userspace - running your command.
sys is the time in kernel space.

Compare the sys times for a command with various kernels.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Jerichoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did that test on various kernel (included zen)

zen kernel
real 0m0.095s
user 0m0.002s
sys 0m0.001s

vanilla
real 0m0.144s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s

so how that result effects my performance in practice (more fps in games,less time on extracting rar files,etc )?
only with a fast kernel can we make ubuntu as fast as gentoo(i know that gentoo has faster program manager i am trying to figure out the role of kernel on speed)?
and last,when i compiling kernel some warnings coming up like; you defined x but never used etc.how can i solve that type of warning i mean when i compile a kernel what i want is taking not the any warning.

sorry about my stupid questions
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last, I've finished the settings pages...first edition. There will be updates, but for the moment, I'm going to take a bit of a break from the pages in order to start working on the new iteration of settings for the seeds. That project will start in about a week or so. I've also included a reference page with all the links to sites I used to write the pages.

Another bit of news: I've got a second failover site. Check my sig for the link. I'd like to change the new failover to the only failover, as it would mean less work when editing the pages. I'm going to see which one gets more use, and I'll drop the other. That is unless everyone thinks that having pre-configured kernel seeds requires a main site and two failovers. If that's the case, you will never lack for kernel seeds.

A big thanks to NeddySeagoon for offering the space on his machines. You are a gentleman and a scholar...unless you don't wish to be.

hehehehehe!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerichoo wrote:
so how that result effects my performance in practice (more fps in games,less time on extracting rar files,etc )?

In general, a faster kernel means faster everything else. However, there are some things even a well configured kernel can't fix...such as slow hard drive access, slow CPU, etc. While upgrading to zen-sources is my prescription for speed, there are other practical limitations to computer speed. Also note that FPS can be effected by things other than the kernel. A badly coded game will suck, even with a sleek, speedy kernel.

In changing from a 120 Gig drive that spins at 5400 RPM to a 500 Gig that spins at 7200, I shaved almost three seconds off my boot time. Even though this machine was booting as fast as it was capable, it now boots (and runs) even faster. Like the folks at NASCAR say, how fast you want to go translates into how much money you are willing to spend. Fortunately, Fry's was having a sale, and the speed didn't cost me as much as it could have.

Quote:
only with a fast kernel can we make ubuntu as fast as gentoo(i know that gentoo has faster program manager i am trying to figure out the role of kernel on speed)?
and last,when i compiling kernel some warnings coming up like; you defined x but never used etc.how can i solve that type of warning i mean when i compile a kernel what i want is taking not the any warning.

sorry about my stupid questions

I'm not an expert on Ubuntu. I've used it, but I will not say I know it well. That said, a concisely configured kernel can't help but run better than the all module mess that is the Ubuntu kernel. Of that much, I am sure. I've been configuring kernels for all my Linux distros since I first rediscovered Slackware oh so many years ago.

I can say that a well configured kernel means a stable system. I have fixed the computers of numerous Linux users just by making sure their kernel wasn't a raging scene of conflict and slowness.

Also, there are no stupid questions when it comes to getting your computer running the way you desire. If you don't know, the best way to find out is to ask. That's why I'm here and maintain my presence.

Cheers,
Pappy
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

bloodnoc.org is faster for users than 62.3.120.142 - bloodnoc.org also has native IPv6 but I doubt thats a big selling point.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerichoo,

You may well be able to run Ubuntu on top of a Gentoo kernel. The only difference will be in the configuration and patch sets.
It may not be easy to get going - a better first step may be to drop a seed .config into Ubuntu kernel sources, run make oldconfig, add your hardware, build and test.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pappy_mcfae,

bloodnoc.org is faster for users than 62.3.120.142 - bloodnoc.org also has native IPv6 but I doubt thats a big selling point.

For that reason alone, I hope that all will switch to bloodnoc. The fact that the pages work properly, meaning I can edit one set of html pages, and use them on both the main site and bloodnoc is another reason I like the new site. For the time being, I'll leave both up, but I think bloodnoc will win the race for failover.

Cheers,
Pappy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: