Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
kde keyboard problem: most keys spontaneously stop working..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geeksheik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: kde keyboard problem: most keys spontaneously stop working.. Reply with quote

I'm having a strange keyboard problem on multiple computers. Sometimes kde stops registering keyboard input from most keys. The situation is currently in progress right now; keyboard was working fine all day and then just stopped. I have no idea what triggered it.

I can use the mouse to switch to different KDE windows, but I can not type anything in any window.

I can use Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch to other virtual terminals.

Numlock and Capslock work.

I can watch the effect of modifier keys being pressed by executing the following line from one of my text-base virtual terminals:

Quote:

DISPLAY=:0 xkbwatch

HOWEVER, absolutely no key will have any effect within any of the KDE windows that I have open. I can't type commands in kde konsole, I can't type text in any document, I can't use ALT-TAB to switch windows, and I can't control my KDE session in any way with the keyboard.

Finally, I just noticed a strange message in one of my text-based virtual terminals:

Quote:

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 6803 requests (6803 known processed) with 0 events remaining

I don't know if this message was generated when the problem started, but it looks suspiciously related.

Here's another suspicious message from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Quote:

(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
nvLock: client timed out, taking the lock

I also don't know if this was generated when the problem started, but I suspect not.

I just started xev from a remote shell and I see the window in KDE. When I move the mouse over the window or click in it, I see mouse events, but no events registered when I type keys while having the window in focus.

From past experience, the system magically recovers after a lot of fiddling around, but I'm not aware of anything that I've done to fix it.

Does anyone have some tips in diagnosing/troubleshooting this highly-annoying issue?

Is there a way to reload the keyboard driver in X?

The keyboard that I'm currently using is PS/2; I don't have a USB keyboard on hand to plug in at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had such a problem which would from time to time occur when I was still using xorg-server-1.7. I could more or less reliably reproduce it after some minutes of running Spring RTS.

However the keyboard did not entirely stop working, keypresses were registered when holding down a key for more than a second.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: