Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why do the ebuild files point to so many servers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Why do the ebuild files point to so many servers? Reply with quote

I've noticed that the URLs in the ebuild files point to servers all over the place. I've occasionally had problems (for some reason the last few times I've run mirrorselect it hasn't added any to my make.conf) with the emerge being successful downloading all of th packages it needs.

What I wind up doing is finding a mirror on my own, with a file by the same name (distro.ibiblio.org seems to be a good one) and fixing the URL in the build myself.

Any particular reason why the ebuild files don't point to a centralized (or a few of them) server, or possibly serveral servers fronted by dynamic DNS?

-jared
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There already exist centralized servers that mirror the distfiles packages. If you are having mirror problems maybe emerging and running mirrorselect will solve them.

The URL's in the ebuilds are the original sources. As stated above, they are already mirrored and most of your downloads should be coming from a mirror close to you.
jcall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess my task should now be to find out why mirrorselect doesn't add any mirrors to my make.conf. Any suggestions?
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have no idea why mirrorselect isn't working for you. I've never used it myself. You can always just add the mirrors to you make.conf by hand. A lot easier than editing every ebuild. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: