Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fujitsu-siemens amilo D Round 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oforero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: fujitsu-siemens amilo D Round 2 Reply with quote

Hi,

I was able to progress from stage 2 to stage 3 and ready to proceed :D , nevertheless no network yet; I did find some info in the net about it and appears that to fix that a patch for ACPI support has to be appliad to the kernel, I was wondering if the gentoo-kerrnel already has this support included or if I will have to try to doit my self .... and if so; anybody knows if it is safe?

Also it will be nice if emerge could give a list of the packages it will download, maybe emerge --ftech-only --pretend will do it?? I jus though of that an will tested this nigth at home.

Any comments in regards with the ACPI patch?

many thanx,

Oskar
oforero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:( I guess nobody has time to waste with my newbe questions ....

I have some new, I have a bootable gentoo system, although I don't have network yet, I will say that emerge will benefit from an option --showfiles or something like that, It will be helpfull to get a list of files its going to download.

The problems appear to come with the laptop so people should be aware if they have an Accton fast ethernet internal network card, it gives problems configuring. I recompile the kernel but there are some options that screw the tulip driver e.g. preemptive kernel :evil: this evening I will try to test compiling that stuff into the kernel itself and see, the other proble is that adsl-start block my machine an adsl-connect fails because it doesn't find something call ipchains ... so I guess I have to recompile the kernel.

Grub looks cool, and the starting time is also very fast ... compared with suse, that is good because I am lazy and sometime didn't start in linux just 'cauze :oops:

Now if somebody is interested I will try to create a boot cd with support for my laptop and tulip working ... although later because before i want to install gnome 2

nice work with gentoo people ... btw it was 1.3b

regards,

Oskar
3x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: ipchains ? Reply with quote

Hi,

Your post is not easy to decipher, if you have error messages to report, I'm sure
some knowledgeable user will help out . As example --->>
Do you mean error re using newest IPv6 version of ipchains ?
At what point do you want listing of files to be included in emerge , at original
install, or after, from dist/files available ?
Tristam29 had a post about that, & w/out doing a search for you, I recall reading several
threads about ACPI , others - about what to include for config of kernel for NIC cards.
As the download mirror clearly warns, version 1.3a & b are to be considered
beta, so be prepared to run into odd behaviour.
They are based on newest GCC3 compiler, you found the 1.3 versions, so must
have seen the warning ?
Aside from the fact I also use SuSE , the last part is also unclear ?
Suggest you re-word, post again & more experienced than I will gladly help.
oforero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok second try,

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop, this machine come with some kind of BIOS that doesn't come with an IRQ Routing table, so when I did
# modprobe tulip
I gives a message that it wanted IRQ 11 but it got IRQ 5 .... I guessed that wouldn't be a big problem but nevertheless the damn thing didn't work

After looking in the google I read that is a problem with this notebooks becasuse they depend on ACPI to configure the devices properly, It also says that the lastest ACPI patch support this kind of IRQ assignement so my question goes like:

Is the gentoo-sources kernel up to date on this patch? or do I have to apply it my self?

So far i got networking functioning but pretty much all other things are out of the kernel ... not USB, Firewire or anything. I will like to know if somebody had installed Gentoo in a similar laptop .. like gericom or medion

thanx ...
oforero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again some questions,

somebody can help with som intruccions to merge a patch ... specifically the acpi patch into the gentoo-kernel?
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36832&release_id=98870

I want to try if with this I can configure my Sound card.

On another topic, the Tulip driver and another modules don't compile correctly if the "Preemptive kernel" option is enabled when you compile the kernel.

regards,

Oskar
3x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: IRQ problems ? Reply with quote

Hi,
Don"t see anyone else jumping in here, fill in the blanks.
Try proper description - If you installed from stage1 , how do you access web ?
What is the problem w/NIC if you connect ? Any error messages at startup ? Type the
command " dmesg " for report of what the kernel finds when booting.
Full description of your hardware, esp. the BIOS model, what adjustments are featured in it ? " Fuji -whatever" tells nothing - might as well try trouble shooting
by weight or color.
What is built-in to mother board, exact NIC model, can on board items be
disabled so add -ons are useable. What features need support, as modules or compiled
into kernel. Sound is well supported but conflict with IRQ 11 may be prblem.
You don't have Plug & play problems if no auto IRQ handling in your BIOS.
Graphical support ok ?
Think it out, fill in missing info or no one can help .
oforero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, sorry for being so vague previously; so I am going to try to be more methodical this time:

<Configuration>
Brand: Fujitsu Amilo D
Type: Laptop
CPU: Intel Pentium III 1,2 Ghz
BIOS Phoenix V4.0 Rlease 06 <note> I don´t know if can be updated or how</note>
Chipset: VIA PN133T (VT8606) North Bridge, VT686 South Bridge
Cache 256 KB second level cache
Memory: 256 MB shared with 128 on Board
Display: 14.1" TFT-XGA 1024x768 / 32 bbp / 60 Hz
1024x768 /32 bpp / 85 Hz (external)
1280x1024 / 32 bpp / 60 Hz (external)
Graphics: S3 Savage4 graphic controller (integrated in VIA chipset), with 8/16/32MB shared (I have 32)
Audio: CS4299 AC97, volume is adjustable by front edge buttons
Media: 20 GB HD, floppy disk, CD-ROM/DVD combo
Interfaces: 1x Pararell
1x PS/2
2x USB
2x PC-Card Type I or II or 1 Type III (32 bit)
1x modem (Lucent Win Modem)
1x ethernet LAN 10/100 (Accton - tulip)
1x CRT
1x S-Video
1x IEEE 1394
1x earset, 1x Microphone
no serial interfaces
no IR interfaces
</Configuration>

So the problem with the CD install is that "# modprobe tulip" apparently succeds but the pppoe didn´t work (I obviously have previously copy the tar and emerge them) , also report that it wanted IRQ 11 but got 5, but ifconfig -a srill reports 11 .... so I have to copy the portage tree and sync by hand, also copy 1.3b stage one and bootstrap that .... everything fine. Going from Stage 2 to Stage 3 was a lot more difficult and what I did was "emerge -p system" send that to a file and copy it to the windows partition, then proceeded to download and return and copy to /usr/portage/distfiles; a lot of payne I know :? thats why I think an option --showfiles or something like that will be very useful (pretend show only ebuilds names)
Stage 2 to Stage 3 ... well the same procedure with the gentoo sources ... and emerge them. Configure the thing pretty much with all options but network and tulip disabled (tulip as module) ; but compiling didn´t work, the error comes from the "preeemptive kernel" option so I disable that also and .... Tulip work .... got ADSL working +, there is an error message at the beggining but I want to ignore that for the moment because it connects anyway .... and after that emerge gnome2 succesfully, mozilla also workin and using it to write this :) but my real problem know is how to make audio to work, I follow the instruccions on the desktop configuration guide and some intruccions from the alsa web site and :
Compile sound support as a module ... but no driver because don´t appears there. Also activate OSS I am not sure what it is but I think is required by alsa. after that try to "# modprobe snd-via8233" and fail ... it says "... No such device" but It also suggests that this can be because of a lack or wrong IO or IRQ parameters ... here I can use some help I don´t know how to pass that or which data use. The other idea was to use ACPI because after google a couple of times i read that some people was having problem configuring the "Accton blah blah" network card on linux and that was because of the lack of IRQ routing table in the BIOS, and it was fixed in the latest patch ... but I also don´t know how to apply patches or if it is safe to doit in the gentoo kernel (the patch is in http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/acpi)

I hope that give enough info for somebody to shoot an idea ... or two.

regards,

Oskar

PS: So far vary please with the prefomance and the fun installing, good work
3x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: well, I asked, didn't I ? Reply with quote

Cute, but ?
That was understood to be "applicable" information, anything that would obviously be
of relevancy to problems posted.
"Enjoyment" ? You want the climb, I want the view.
So the only problem now is sound . What is the story on Winmodem - isn't it 56k ?
Presume you tried Phoenix &/or Fuji re BIOS update, or aftermarket sources ?
ALSA, (I think) is not OSS. AC97 is well supported, but IRQ 11?
Since Gentoo-sources kernel is not standard, a patched version should be do-able,
different versions loaded as alternate via Grub is not uncommon.
Keep in mind <<1.3b >>is beta, & Gcc3 may be problematic at any time.
The S3 Savage ok ?
Not much help, but you sounded like moral support might be appreciated.
Right now, I am still trying to get kernel version 2.5.9 to behave itself, will likely
tuck it away, more trouble then value.
3x9
oforero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The modem is 56k, but I don´t have any interest now in making it work; I prefer sound, the video was more or less difficult but now work with:

Section"Device"
BoardName "Autodetected"
Driver "savage"
Identifier "device[0]"
Option "dpms"
VendorName "Autodetected"
EndSection

now with the audio I have no idea about what parameters to use. there ca I use help:
what options do I need in kernel to alsa support, and what parameters do ineed to pass to the driver.

regards,

Oskar
3x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: almost at finish line Reply with quote

Hi
You seem to be doing just fine so far
Kinda figured about 56k (forget it toooo slow)
Many prev posts in install forum about PPOE (search)
Since you have read more than I about sound, only a thought, what are the
two PCI cards used for ? try to pull ea separately, recheck IRQ11 & sound,
may be conflict ?
Some earlier installers had lots of trouble w/S3 Savage, glad it was ok 4 U
Still unclear about web access. NIC needs to connect to something - ADSL- cable ?
Tried booting w/out that for sound trouble-shooting ?
Not the solution but determining the culprit is the first step to a cure
This is ala old Win$$ Plug&Pray methodology - process of elimination
(the obvious was eliminate Win $$ )
Regards, 3x9
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: