android 0.9.7 adt install issues...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: android 0.9.7 adt install issues... Reply with quote

okay so i hope this is the correct channel to post in...

i have used eclipse ide in gentoo for some time...i really like using eclipse in gentoo because it is very stable....but i have lately got into developing android applications...

now i have been doing this on my desktop which i regret doesn't have gentoo on it yet....but now i am using my laptop with gentoo on it and trying to install the new android 0.9.7 adt plugin update on install new software on the help menu...well it said this when it went to finish..

Code:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software currently installed: Android Development Tools 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220 (com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220)
  Missing requirement: Structured Source XML Model 1.1.202.v200802140626 (org.eclipse.wst.xml.core 1.1.202.v200802140626) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.wst.validation [1.1.0,1.2.0)' but it could not be found
  Cannot satisfy dependency:
    From: Android Development Tools 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220 (com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220)
    To: org.eclipse.wst.xml.core 0.0.0

does this mean i need to find this and install it as a dependency issue with the android plugin??

i am using eclipse 3.5.1 and i just re-checked for updates and updated a few base plugins...
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about android or eclipse, but it sounds like you need to install version 1.1.x of this validation 'bundle': org.eclipse.wst.validation

I did a quick look on packages.gentoo.org but couldn't find anything. Maybe there's another mechanism to install these bundles.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem myself.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-829975-start-0.html
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322149

The bug report at the gentoo linux bug tracker describes how to fix it.
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thanks so it has something to do with repo's??

**edit**

okay i get it...i shouldn't have used a nightly build of europa aka eclipse 3.5.1 i should use the main release stable install...and that is the issue...okay will try that...
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adramalech707 wrote:
okay thanks so it has something to do with repo's??

**edit**

okay i get it...i shouldn't have used a nightly build of europa aka eclipse 3.5.1 i should use the main release stable install...and that is the issue...okay will try that...

Actually, you can use the in-tree eclipse just as long as you modify its list of update sites to match the ones I specified in the bug report that were enabled in the official tarball.
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i finally got it working but it won't install the api's because it cannot rename directories etc....should i run eclipse as root to install api 2.2?

**EDIT**

here is the output i get when installing the api:
Code:

Downloading Documentation for Android SDK, API 8, revision 1
Installing Documentation for Android SDK, API 8, revision 1
Failed to rename directory /home/adramalech/Desktop/android-sdk-linux_86/docs to /home/adramalech/Desktop/android-sdk-linux_86/temp/DocPackage.old01.
Downloading SDK Platform Android 2.2, API 8, revision 2
Installing SDK Platform Android 2.2, API 8, revision 2
Failed to rename directory /home/adramalech/Desktop/android-sdk-linux_86/temp/PlatformPackage.new01 to /home/adramalech/Desktop/android-sdk-linux_86/platforms/android-8
Skipping 'Google APIs by Google Inc., Android API 8, revision 2'; it depends on 'SDK Platform Android 2.2, API 8, revision 2' which was not installed.
Downloading SDK Platform Android 2.1, API 7, revision 2
Installing SDK Platform Android 2.1, API 7, revision 2
Failed to rename directory /home/adramalech/Desktop/android-sdk-linux_86/platforms/android-7 to /home/adramalech/Desktop/android-sdk-linux_86/temp/PlatformPackage.old01.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be in the android user group. Run usermod -a -G android <your user name here> and relog. Things should just work.
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot how to use groups....isn't there a file i can modify to get it working...

it seems to still not be working when i run this command...

Code:

sudo usermod -a -G android adramalech

but i looked at /etc/group

and it clearly states:

Code:

android:x:1006:adramalech,root
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adramalech707 wrote:
i forgot how to use groups....isn't there a file i can modify to get it working...

it seems to still not be working when i run this command...

Code:

sudo usermod -a -G android adramalech

but i looked at /etc/group

and it clearly states:

Code:

android:x:1006:adramalech,root

Changes to your group permissions will not take effect during an active session. Did you try logging out and logging in like I said you needed to do? It should work after that.

Also, you should be using groups adramalech to see in which groups your user is.
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i ran that command and it says i am part of android group but it still won't work...should i move the android sdk to the eclipse folder where ever that is....(i installed eclipse through portage)

i also have a dark theme desktop environment but i cannot get eclipse ide to go to the original light color theme of eclipse i was wondering if there is a way to do that or will i have to change the system color to get eclipse to change???
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never confirmed that you logged out and logged in after joining the android group. Have you either relogged or rebooted since doing any of this? It sounds like you are not doing that, as getting this to work is fairly straightforward from my experience:
  1. emerge dev-util/eclipse-sdk dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager
  2. Run usermod -a -G android <your username here>
  3. Add the sites I mentioned in the bug report to the Available Software Sites
  4. Add the Android Development Toolkit site mentioned in the official installation instructions
  5. Install the Android Development Tools Plugin from inside Eclipse like the official installation instructions say to do.
  6. Tell the eclipse android plugin that the sdk is installed at /opt/android-sdk-update-manager like the official installation instructions say to do.
  7. Log out of your desktop environment and log back into it. Just reboot if you do not know how to do this.
  8. Open eclipse and basically start using it. You can click the little android icon and request that it upgrade the sdk on your system. It will work provided everything above has been done.

Here is a list of the sites you need to add to the eclipse download site list:

adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have rebooted many times...i am using gentoo linux on a laptop and i don't leave it run 24/7....it says in /etc/group that i am good....

so i will try maybe installing adt plugin through portage and see if that doesn't work better....i downloaded android 0.9.7 adt and have it in desktop...

**EDIT**

okay everything works out okay now...i guess it was using /opt/android-sdk-update-manager directory....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: