Anyone tried systemd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried systemd? Reply with quote

Systemd is a new init system created by Lennart Poettring, and version 1 was released yesterday. Considering that Gentoo is a supported platform, I thought it would be interesting to try it. (There are instructions on the Wiki, and also in the bug entry)

So I was wondering if anyone here tried it, and if so, what experience did you have with it?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of it until now and it sounds interesting. I love the concept of these newer/quicker init systems, but I'm usually too chicken to try it out for fear of breaking my system. It looks like systemd integrates nicely into Gentoo, which is a plus.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint, gotta build a vm for that.
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's try to stay on topic here guys... I want to know about this new init system
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
let's try to stay on topic here guys... I want to know about this new init system
Wish granted at AM088's request; ruminations on OSS licenses split to their own thread.
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been some time since the last post. Anybody still playing around with it?

I installed it according to the instructions in the gentoo wiki. Boots nice and fast. I have some problems with baselayout-2/openrc's init.d-scripts though. Systemd tries to use them, but without openrc running every /etc/init.d/* script issued by systemd failed and says "* already started". (for example, on shutdown /etc/init.d/killprocs failes like that, thus shutting down get's stuck)

I guess to work with openrc / baselayout-2 it would be neccessary to put some basic files in /lib/rc/init.d/ that tells the rc-scripts that none of them are started yet. I haven't yet figured out how it works so far. A clean /lib/rc/init.d/ doesn't do it, an empty /lib/rc/init.d/started/ dir neither. Anyone got that already?

Has anybody already created some nice native systemd config files that make use of socket initialisation and work in gentoo? As I understand, so far, systemd would just use /etc/init.d/* files to start everything that has no native systemd config file, thus would in most cases not have much any advantages over openrc in speed or to realize this brilliant socket-ini idea.
sunmoon1997
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated the wiki, added some *.service files I used to get a fully working desktop system. You may pick some of them as needed and even try to improve them:)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Unsupported Software. Looks interesting but fits better here for now.

- John
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so there is systemd and there is openrc (with xinetd I assume) to give similar functionality, as far as I see it.

Is one better than the other or are they just different ways of achieving the same thing?

If systemd is better than openrc, why didn't gentoo go down the systemd route, instead of openrc?

Alternatively, if openrc is better, why are other distributions using systemd?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
Ok, so there is systemd and there is openrc (with xinetd I assume) to give similar functionality, as far as I see it.

Is one better than the other or are they just different ways of achieving the same thing?

If systemd is better than openrc, why didn't gentoo go down the systemd route, instead of openrc?

Alternatively, if openrc is better, why are other distributions using systemd?

May be systemd has much more predictable behaviour in binary distros :)
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemd is new and work-in-progress, openrc is old and reliable (well at least for ~testing users). At this point, by far not all packages in Gentoo come with systemd unit files, but all of them come with OpenRC scripts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: