Successful Gentoo/FreeBSD installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Successful Gentoo/FreeBSD installation Reply with quote

After about 28 days of fiddling (with large stretches of time where I let things sit), I installed Gentoo/FreeBSD x86 into a virtual machine and successfully booted it into userland.

With that said, I encountered tons of issues and I have no idea whether to file one bug report or more than a dozen bug reports.

The official installation guide and official tarballs are hopelessly broken because support for them has been dropped from the portage tree. There is an unofficial guide that mostly works, but some changes need to be made to it:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~the_paya/doc/gentoo-freebsd.xml

I don't even think that the provided stage3 tarballs work. I tried 3 of them with no success until someone in #gentoo found Gentoo/FreeBSD 8.0 stage3 tarballs online somewhere that I used to install this system. I wish I had written down the URL. I know that I should have asked about this in #gentoo-bsd, but that channel is a ghost-town.

The latest updates to the toolchain are broken on Gentoo/FreeBSD. Here is my package.mask file:
Code:
=sys-devel/binutils-2.21
sys-devel/gcc:4.5
=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r1
=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2
=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5

I masked gcc 4.5 because all of my other systems are on GCC 4.4. All of the other stuff I masked because it would not build.

The sys-devel/libtool-2.4-r1 wouldn't install due to file collisions with an old version of itself that was so old that it is no longer in portage. I had to build a binary package, unmerge the existing package and then install the binary package to get portage to install it.

Python would not build because the experimental LiveCD was using an 7.2 kernel that did not support the number 12 system call. I had to skip rebuilding it as part of installing Gentoo/FreeBSD, which I did without any adverse effect and then after booting the Gentoo/FreeBSD installation, I was able to build Python without a problem.

The following packages won't install due to keywording issues:

Code:
app-emulation/open-vm-tools
net-analyzer/traceroute
net-misc/rdate
net-misc/youtube-dl
sys-apps/ethtool
sys-apps/hdparm
sys-process/time

I assume that app-emulation/open-vm-tools will not work given that the package appears to be Linux only, although I know that the FreeBSD project has ported open-vm-tools to FreeBSD, so it should be possible to modify the ebuild to support Gentoo/FreeBSD. Most of the remainder I assume would work, but support has not been explicitly specified, so portage refuses to install them by default.

I cannot find a sys-freebsd/compat-6x package in portage so I can run programs compiled for the older versions of FreeBSD on Gentoo/FreeBSD.

Anyway, I keep running into problems. I basically summarized all of the problems so far here. Should I file one big report or numerous small ones, with each bug report corresponding to a specific problem?
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, here is where the stage3 tarballs are located for Gentoo/FreeBSD 8.0:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~the_paya/8.0/
g3om1s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here two links on how to build amd64-fbsd stages from x86-fbsd stages
http://dev.gentoo.gr.jp/~nigoro/amd64-fbsd/
http://dev.gentoo.gr.jp/~nigoro/amd64-fbsd/8.0/

and how to install the amd64-fbsd stages
http://dev.gentoo.gr.jp/~nigoro/amd64-fbsd/install.txt
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is most interesting nightly autobuilds are hosted on a freebsd.og server :)
ftp://ftp8.de.freebsd.org/pub/Linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/current-stage3

I can only find 7.2 releases for it:
ftp://ftp8.de.freebsd.org/pub/Linux/gentoo/experimental/bsd/freebsd/stages/
ftp://ftp8.de.freebsd.org/pub/Linux/gentoo/experimental/bsd/freebsd/installcd/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: