Unable to update joomla site
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Unable to update joomla site Reply with quote

Hi my joomla site is currently running v. 1.5.15 due to failure to update after having incrementally updated joomla using emerge.
I believe this is because when I originally made my sites I copied the /var/ww/loocalhost to /var/ww/domainname* for each of my domains. So, how do I update joomla, and make it auto update my sites for the future (if possible)? - the localhost updates as expected.

I found that after added the useflag vhosts I now have to manually update using webapp-config, and I found out that this is simply done automaticly if not setting the useflag, so I guess I'll have to run the following:

webapp-config -U -h somewebsite.com -u root -d / joomla 1.5.19
- but when I do this I get:
* Fatal error: Cannot clean!
* Fatal error: No package installed in /var/www/somewebsite.com/htdocs
* Fatal error(s) - aborting

This might be because when I initally set up the sites I did it "manually, the hardway" unknowning of tools like webapp-config.
So what do I do in terms of updating the joomla installation from 1.5.15 to 1.5.19 (or 1.5.20 if I have to dl from joomla directly?)

EDIT: by the way, I have ensured that "somewebsite.com" doesn't have a joomla directory because I copied the joomla directory to /var/www/somewebsite/ - Also Joomla is installed using emerge.

Thanks in advance. :-)
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are trying to upgrade an installation that does not exist?! (at least from you explanation)
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I sort of came to that conclusion myself, but how do I update the site then?
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that fluent with webapp-config (at least while I am away from my gentoo system)

I would try the following:
  • create a new vhost (just the folder structure)
  • install some version of (old) joomla (e.g 1.5.15)
  • upgrade that version to a new one (e.g to 1.5.19)

Code:
# mkdir -p /var/www/test.local/htdocs
# webapp-config -I -h test.local -u root -d htdocs/joomla joomla 1.5.15
# webapp-config -U -h test.local -u root -d htdocs/joomla joomla 1.5.19

My main insecurity is the -d htdocs/joomla part. maybe you have to play with it a little, that it installs in inside the correct directory. second guess would be -d joomla

cheers
V.
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the assistance so far.

I am unable to emerge joomla 1.5.15 because I do not have the package. If I do the following I get an error:

# emerge =www-apps/joomla-1.5.15 -p
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=www-apps/joomla-1.5.15".

- Will I be able to mv the current domain to something like mydomain.bak, create the site with "webapp-config -I -h realdomain.com -u root -d htdocs/joomla joomla 1.5.19"

then copy back the old contents and do a:
"webapp-config -U -h realdomain.com -u root -d htdocs/joomla joomla 1.5.19"

Or would that fail, maybe because the site seems to already be 1.5.19, at least according to web-app? - In which case is there a switch for webapp to "repair", which might solve this?

... Alternatively I'll need to find a way to get joomla-1.5.15 onto my system? :)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Joomla 1.5.15 ebuild is available in the attic. You can install it in your local overlay and it'll become available to emerge.

- John
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if it's just for testing purposes, you could install 1.5.18 (which is in portage) and then upgrade to 1.5.19....
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the noob question, how do I emerge from the attic? I assume this is the link I need: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/www-apps/joomla/joomla-1.5.15.ebuild?hideattic=0&view=log - as the one you sent me is for 1.0.15.

I am running on a x64 system, but kernel has support for x86, will this make a difference?
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try emerge 1.5.18 and see if I have any luck. :-)
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So here's what I did:

1. Moved original site to /var/www/originalsite.bak
2. Ran "webapp-config -I -h originalsite -u root joomla 1.5.18"
3. Copied the original files back into /var/www/originalsite
- At this point the site returns to version 1.5.15 obviously.
4. Updated the site to 1.5.19 with: "webapp-config -U -h originalsite -u root joomla 1.5.19"
5. Remove the install directory added by step 2 with "rm /var/www/originalsite/htdocs/installation/ -r"

And the sites up and running :-)
- This is a fairly dirty trick I believe, and might have left some nasty leftovers that I am unfamiliar with?
Amongst some interesting things that came up after running webapp-config is this:

"* Invalid line "" removed from the database file!"
and
"* One or more files have been config protected
* To complete your install, you need to run the following command(s):
* CONFIG_PROTECT="/var/www/team-levitas.com/htdocs//" etc-update"

running "etc-update" didn't have anything to offer me though.

Anyway this worked and I believe I can now rest easy with an updated joomla :-) Thanks a ton for the assistance guys!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitrez wrote:
sorry for the noob question, how do I emerge from the attic? I assume this is the link I need: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/www-apps/joomla/joomla-1.5.15.ebuild?hideattic=0&view=log - as the one you sent me is for 1.0.15.
Yes, you're correct; my bad. :oops:

To get the ebuild out of the attic and get it ready to build, you need to perform several steps, all of which can be encapsulated in, "Put it in your local overlay.":
  • Set up a local overlay, which is described in Diverting from the Official Tree in the Handbook.
  • Make a category/package directory in your local overlay. Assuming it's in the standard location, do
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/portage
    mkdir -p www-apps/joomla/files
  • Fetch the ebuild from Gentoo CVS. Use the repository browser to find the (download) link for the version of the ebuild you want to fetch:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/portage/www-apps/joomla
    wget http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/www-apps/joomla/joomla-1.5.15.ebuild
    Either clean up the revision off of the URI or rename the file so that it ends in ".ebuild".
  • Manifest the ebuild:
    Code:
    ebuild joomla-1.5.15.ebuild manifest
After that, the 1.5.15 version should be available to explicitly emerge (you may need to unmask it).

Simple, right? :P

- John
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering why the -U paramter on webapp-config adds the installation/ directory though? I tried removing it after the original installation of the site but it appeared again after the update?
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
zitrez wrote:
Yes, you're correct; my bad. :oops:

To get the ebuild out of the attic and get it ready to build, you need to perform several steps, all of which can be encapsulated in, "Put it in your local overlay.":
  • Set up a local overlay, which is described in Diverting from the Official Tree in the Handbook.
  • Make a category/package directory in your local overlay. Assuming it's in the standard location, do
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/portage
    mkdir -p www-apps/joomla/files
  • Fetch the ebuild from Gentoo CVS. Use the repository browser to find the (download) link for the version of the ebuild you want to fetch:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/portage/www-apps/joomla
    wget http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/www-apps/joomla/joomla-1.5.15.ebuild
    Either clean up the revision off of the URI or rename the file so that it ends in ".ebuild".
  • Manifest the ebuild:
    Code:
    ebuild joomla-1.5.15.ebuild manifest
After that, the 1.5.15 version should be available to explicitly emerge (you may need to unmask it).

Simple, right? :P

- John

Thanks a lot. This is something I had no idea was possible, I'll look into this whole new feature for me :D and do some (re-)reading of the handbook on this matter once I get some time off :-)
zitrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apperantly my phpbb3 forum is now down, maybe related to the removing blank line?

EDIT: Ok, removing all files with the .php extension in /var/www/htdocs/domainname/forum/cache and making the cache writable solved the issue. This is totaly irrelevant to gentoo, but just incase someone stumbles over here in a search :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: