commands not found: emerge mirror issues [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: commands not found: emerge mirror issues [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have finished installing Gentoo for the first time. I have no experience with Linux before now. I am reading a tutorial. The locate, slocate, and updatedb commands to not work, I get 'command not found'.

I posted in a thread about slocate, and was told to 'emerge slocate'.
emerge slocate didn't seem to work (it scrolls pretty fast). But the errors seem to imply that it cannot download certain files from the net. For example (re-typed, not C&Ped):
Quote:
Resolving slocate.trakker.ca... failed: Name or service not known
wget: unable to resolve host address 'slocate.trakker.ca'
!!! Couldn't download 'slocate-3.1.tar.gz'. Aborting.
Failed to emerge [slocate]

Now, my networking was working when I first installed the PC (I haven't used the system since then, two weeks ago). So I tried to use links. It didn't exist, so I tried to emerge links. Emerging links seemed to work, but when I type the command 'links', or 'links www.gentoo.org', or 'links http://www.gentoo.org', I get 'command not found'.

I tried emerging links a second time, and this time I get messages that it can't download files.

I have rebooted the PC and restarted the network switch (which often gives me trouble, but which is working now because my other PC is using the same switch and I posted this message from my 'other' PC).

How do I fix this?
Thanks,
-SU

Last edited by odeSolver on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the output references a log file. But I cannot understand it. If I have net access, is it possible to send/email the log file to myself? Is it possible to save the log file to the NTFS partition that WinXP uses?

Added
Some of the troublesome lines in the log file are:
Quote:
No such directory 'pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles'.
Saving to: '/usr/portage/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma' <-- no such file exists
('Filesize does not match recorded size', 5187L, 1298963)
!!! Fetched file: gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma VERIFY FAILED!
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size

It tried refetching gpm-.. file, but aborted
Then it tried downloading from distro.ibiblio.org and logged in there, before giving the same 'no such directory' error as before

It seems to go through the same routine a few times - it must be appending a log each time I tried to emerge links.

Also, the log file indicates that it received successful HTTP responses from schottelius.org, so I think my networking is OK.

Can anyone tell what's wrong?
Thanks.
-SU[/quote]

Last edited by odeSolver on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not retype or paraphrase error messages. Doing so often loses important information.

In this case, it appears that name resolution is not working for you. Please post the output of nl /etc/resolv.conf. You may be pointing to a broken DNS server or your DHCP may have failed to give you any DNS server at all. Certain lines of consumer home router seem rather prone to causing the former.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Please do not retype or paraphrase error messages. Doing so often loses important information.

In this case, it appears that name resolution is not working for you. Please post the output of nl /etc/resolv.conf. You may be pointing to a broken DNS server or your DHCP may have failed to give you any DNS server at all. Certain lines of consumer home router seem rather prone to causing the former.

Hi Hu. Thanks for your reply.

For now, I have to type what I see because I do not know how to get anything from Linux off the machine. I have two screens, I'm a pretty good typist (we actually had typing classes in my high school) and I am technical enough to have an idea of what's important.

I think you are on the right track as to my problem. Here is the output (yes, retyped, sorry) of 'nl /etc/resolv.conf':
Quote:
1 # Generated by dhcpcd from eth0
2 # /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
3 nameserver 192.168.1.1
4 # /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

However, I added a router between my cable modem and this computer since I configured this. I was told that adding a router would not change anything. I presume the salesman was referring to Win or MacOS PCs.

Note that I updated my second post in this thread since your post. I added more detail about the contents of the log files.

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it (and where I can go to read a good tutorial on it)?
Thanks.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidUser wrote:
For now, I have to type what I see because I do not know how to get anything from Linux off the machine. I have two screens, I'm a pretty good typist (we actually had typing classes in my high school) and I am technical enough to have an idea of what's important.
Retyping it is fine if you preserve the important information. However, you have been annotating the output with your own remarks, which makes the output more difficult to follow. Feel free to drop irrelevant lines, but please keep your commentary outside the [code] blocks that show the output from the commands.
StupidUser wrote:
Quote:
1 # Generated by dhcpcd from eth0
2 # /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
3 nameserver 192.168.1.1
4 # /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

However, I added a router between my cable modem and this computer since I configured this. I was told that adding a router would not change anything. I presume the salesman was referring to Win or MacOS PCs.
Consumer level sales people are very often less informed about the systems they sell than a low to moderate experience Linux user. The salesman was probably relating the information as he had been trained, but I would not rely on his statements to be entirely accurate. Strictly speaking, adding a router will change the behavior. Adding a bridge will probably not change the behavior. However, there are some devices that behave as bridges and are incorrectly called routers.

That nameserver line refers to some other system on your local subnet. As a hunch, I suspect it is one of the low quality consumer devices I hinted at previously. I have seen multiple posts here over the last couple of years from people who had devices that claimed to be DNS servers, but then failed to actually serve valid DNS requests. As a temporary measure, try editing /etc/resolv.conf to name instead a well known public DNS server, such as 4.2.2.1. This will be reverted when your DHCP lease is renewed, and is not good long term practice since that server is unnecessarily far away. However, it may get you going long enough to emerge some packages. You could also try to determine the address of the DNS server operated by your ISP and use that. In either of those cases, we will need to disable taking DNS settings from your current DHCP server. See /etc/conf.d/net.example for some guidance on that, or post back if you need more specific guidance. For now, I want to focus on confirming that the current server is bad before we go to the trouble of bypassing it.

If you can get emerge working using another DNS server, emerge net-dns/bind-tools and then compare the output of dig @192.168.2.1 www.gentoo.org ; dig www.gentoo.org. The first dig will query your local nameserver. The second will query the then-active nameserver specified in /etc/resolv.conf. If the first fails and the second works, that is an indication that your local DNS server is broken.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered the ping command. I sent 5 pings to google and had 0% packet loss. Does pinging use DNS servers?

Code:
>ping -c 5 google.com
PING google.com (173.194.33.104)...
64 bytes....
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss...

I replaced 192.168.1.1 with 4.2.2.1 and rebooted. I was still able to ping google. I was not able to emerge links. When I looked in resolv.conf, it seemed not to have made my changes.

I replaced 192.168.1.1 with 4.2.2.1 again, did not reboot. I was able to ping google (but the output looked different), but not emerge links. I rebooted, looked in resolv.conf and the edits had been replaced again. I am not certain that Linux "took" my changes.

Hu wrote:
StupidUser wrote:
Retyping it is fine if you preserve the important information. However, you have been annotating the output with your own remarks, which makes the output more difficult to follow. Feel free to drop irrelevant lines, but please keep your commentary outside the [code] blocks that show the output from the commands.

Deal
Hu wrote:
Consumer level sales people are very often less informed about the systems they sell than a low to moderate experience Linux user. The salesman was probably relating the information as he had been trained, but I would not rely on his statements to be entirely accurate. Strictly speaking, adding a router will change the behavior. Adding a bridge will probably not change the behavior. However, there are some devices that behave as bridges and are incorrectly called routers.

It's a Netgear wireless router. It's old and, if I leave my PC for a while, when I return I have to unplug the router and then plug it in again to get internet access working.
Hu wrote:
That nameserver line refers to some other system on your local subnet. As a hunch, I suspect it is one of the low quality consumer devices I hinted at previously.

Yes. I just re-read the long thread where you (the Gentoo forum) all helped me install the system. I could not find where we decided to use 192.168.1.1, but I do remember somewhere I was told it meant to use the nameserver of my router, and the router would go out on the net and resolve names and report them back (or something like that).
Hu wrote:
... For now, I want to focus on confirming that the current server is bad before we go to the trouble of bypassing it.

I think the DNS is resolving correctly. So I didn't look into the other stuff you recommended (yet).
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidUser wrote:
Does pinging use DNS servers?
No, ping uses ICMP, which is separate from DNS queries. However, ping can use DNS to find the server to contact, which it did in this case.
StupidUser wrote:
I replaced 192.168.1.1 with 4.2.2.1 and rebooted. When I looked in resolv.conf, it seemed not to have made my changes.
Why did you reboot? That would have renewed your DHCP lease and undone the resolv.conf change.
StupidUser wrote:
I think the DNS is resolving correctly. So I didn't look into the other stuff you recommended (yet).
I am not so sure about that. You said you still cannot emerge links even with the public DNS server listed. Switching to the public DNS should have given you name resolution so that you could download the source to links. Could you change the DNS server to 4.2.2.1 again, emerge links, and post the error message?
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
StupidUser wrote:
Does pinging use DNS servers?
No, ping uses ICMP, which is separate from DNS queries. However, ping can use DNS to find the server to contact, which it did in this case.
StupidUser wrote:
I replaced 192.168.1.1 with 4.2.2.1 and rebooted. When I looked in resolv.conf, it seemed not to have made my changes.
Why did you reboot? That would have renewed your DHCP lease and undone the resolv.conf change.
StupidUser wrote:
I am not so sure about that. You said you still cannot emerge links even with the public DNS server listed. Switching to the public DNS should have given you name resolution so that you could download the source to links. Could you change the DNS server to 4.2.2.1 again, emerge links, and post the error message?

Code:
>nl /etc/resolv.conf
1 # ...
2 # ...
3 nameserver 4.2.2.1
4 # ....
>ping -c 5 google.com
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss...
>emerge links
!!! Fetched file: gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma VERIFY FAILED
!!! Couldn't download 'gpm-1.20.5...'. Aborting.
>>> Failed to emerge sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/gpm/1.20.5/temp/build.log'

Here is the (re-typed, sorry) latest output (using the date/time stamp in the log file) from the log file /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5/temp/build.log.:
Code:
>>> Downloading 'ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma'
--2010-07-25 01:25:41-- ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma
         => '/usr/portage/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma'
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org... 152.46.7.109
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org|152.46.7.109|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done   ==> CWD (1) /pub/linux/distributions/gentoo distfiles ...
No such directory 'pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles'.

>>> Downloading 'http://linux.schottelius.org/gpm/archives/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma'
--2010-07-25 01:25:43-- http://linux.schottelius.org/gpm/archives/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma
Resolving linux.schottelius.org... 129.132.186.60
Connecting to linux.schottelius.org|129.132.186.60|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Resolving www.nico.schottelius.org... 77.109.138.218
Connecting to www.nico.schottelius.org|77.109.138.218|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 5187 (5.1K) [text/html]
Saving to: '/usr/portage/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma'

^M 0% [                        ] 0       --.-K/s   in 0.1s

--2010-07-25 01:25:45 (36.2 KB/s) - '/usr/portage/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma' saved [5187/5187]

('Filesize does not match recorded size', 5187L, 1298963)
!!! Fetched file: gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma VERIFY FAILED!
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got:     5187
!!! Expected: 1298963
Refetching... File renamed to '/usr/portage/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma._checksum_failure_.DHH8m_'

!!! Couldn't download gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma'. Aborting

The downloaded file (the one renamed to '/usr/portage/distfiles/gpm-1.20.5.tar.lzma._checksum_failure_.DHH8m_'), is an HTML file. But I looked at its source using nano and it seems to have downloaded a home page related to a product called git or gpm.

It still seems to me that it's finding web sites OK, but it is downloading the wrong thing. What do you make of the logfile?

Thanks.
-SU
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey StupidUser (why did you pick that name?!), welcome to Gentoo.

Just guessing, but have you already done a

Code:
emerge --sync

if the last time you did, is more than 24 hours ago, please do it again. To me, it looks like your network setup is quite ok, but it could be that your packages database is out of date. At least, when I try to open the links I see in your output, I don't get any software packages.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxg wrote:
Hey StupidUser (why did you pick that name?!), welcome to Gentoo.

If the name fits, wear it. :D

I worked in IT in the past, sometimes having done tech support. I know what many people in those positions think of the users. We even used to code the cause of problems on some tickets as PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair). Once, I couldn't think of a good username for a tech forum I was registering for when it occurred to me that I'd be asking a question and become one of those stupid users.

The name is especially appropriate on this board, since I have so little knowledge of Linux, Gentoo, or anything involving what I'm trying to do now. I'm sure I will look back on my questions one day and think they were awfully stupid.

lxg wrote:
Just guessing, but have you already done a

Code:
emerge --sync

if the last time you did, is more than 24 hours ago, please do it again. To me, it looks like your network setup is quite ok, but it could be that your packages database is out of date. At least, when I try to open the links I see in your output, I don't get any software packages.

I tried what you suggested

>whoami
root
> emerge --sync
>emerge links
>>>Failed to merge sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5, Log file:
>>> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5/temp.build.log'
* Fetch failed for 'sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5', Log file:
* '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5/temp/build.log'
>links http://www.gentoo.org
-bash: links: command not found

Build.log has all the same messages as before. The downloaded (and renamed) file is an HTML web page.

Edit: I even tried:
>rm /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp.chk
>emerge --sync
>emerge links
>links
-bash: links: command not found
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the name, the good thing about these forums is that we have gentle people who will change your user name as soon as you stop feeling stupid. ;)

As for the emerge problems: Another thing may be that you have picked “bad” mirrors, either for sync or for packages. I assume that you followed the respective sections of the handbook, but it may be that you were unlucky, and your sync/package mirror delivers obsolete information.

Can you please post the contents of your GENTOO_MIRRORS and SYNC variables in your /etc/make.conf?

Here are mine. If you want you can comment out yours and use mine for testing; however, they are best for Germany and Central Europe, so you may experience a higher latency.

Code:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.netcologne.de/gentoo/ http://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.de.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

If you change SYNC, please run emerge --sync again.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxg wrote:
As for the name, the good thing about these forums is that we have gentle people who will change your user name as soon as you stop feeling stupid. ;)

As for the emerge problems: Another thing may be that you have picked “bad” mirrors, either for sync or for packages. I assume that you followed the respective sections of the handbook, but it may be that you were unlucky, and your sync/package mirror delivers obsolete information.

Can you please post the contents of your GENTOO_MIRRORS and SYNC variables in your /etc/make.conf?

Here are mine. If you want you can comment out yours and use mine for testing; however, they are best for Germany and Central Europe, so you may experience a higher latency.

Code:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.netcologne.de/gentoo/ http://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.de.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

If you change SYNC, please run emerge --sync again.

In trying to access them, I think I reset them. You have to use echo $var_name to get the values, right? So first, I typed GENTOO_MIRRORS, which kicked back an error. Then typed $GENTOO_MIRRORS, according to this web page which said to access environment variables with a dollar sign, but didn't say that you had to use echo (sheesh!). I rebooted, to try to reset them, but they are still blank. Here is what I'm getting:
Quote:
>whoami
root
>echo $GENTOO_MIRRORS

>echo $SYNC

>

So I guess that is the problem. It seems consistent with the error messages. I am looking now for where I set these vars and what to set them to.

Thanks for help. If you can point me to the documentation for setting these vars, even better.
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidUser wrote:
So I guess that is the problem. It seems consistent with the error messages. I am looking now for where I set these vars and what to set them to.

Thanks for help. If you can point me to the documentation for setting these vars, even better.

No, this is not the problem. The SYNC variable from make.conf is not in the scope of your shell, but will be in the scope of the emerge process. Therefore, please still do post the respective sections of your make.conf. Use this snippet:

Code:
grep -e "^SYNC" -e "^GENTOO_MIRRORS" /etc/make.conf

The section in the handbook that covers this is http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6

I hope you don't see that page for the first time. ;)

edit: And please try to replace the contents of these variables with other values, e.g. the ones I posted above.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="StupidUser"]
lxg wrote:
As for the name, the good thing about these forums is that we have gentle people who will change your user name as soon as you stop feeling stupid. ;)...

P.S. What kind of screwed up people remain gentle after moderating a forum, anyway? :D
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxg wrote:
No, this is not the problem. The SYNC variable from make.conf is not in the scope of your shell, but will be in the scope of the emerge process. Therefore, please still do post the respective sections of your make.conf. Use this snippet:

Code:
grep -e "^SYNC" -e "^GENTOO_MIRRORS" /etc/make.conf

The section in the handbook that covers this is http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6

I hope you don't see that page for the first time. ;)

edit: And please try to replace the contents of these variables with other values, e.g. the ones I posted above.

Got it. I think I am good to go now. Here is what I did (mostly for my future reference):
Code:
>whoami
root
>grep -e "^SYNC" -e "^GENTOO_MIRRORS" /etc/make.conf
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

Notice that the directory structure of ibibilio.org is the one that was reported missing in build.log.

I was in chapter 6 of the handbook. I used the mirrorselect tool during install and chose the ibiblio.org mirror (which is very close to me). However, mirrorselect is not working now (-bash: mirrorselect: command not found). emerge mirrorselect actually worked! (I guess mirrorselect is built in and doesn't need to be downloaded from anywhere).

Code:
>mirrorselect -i -o >> /etc/make.conf

I see from your example that I can select more than one. I selected ibiblio again because they are close to me, but added Rochester institute which is also close to me. I changed from the ftp sites to the http sites (what's the difference?)

Code:
>mirrorselect -i -r -o >> /etc/make.conf

I selected Rochester institute again. I can only select one here.

I see that mirrorselect added lines to make.conf, instead of replacing the lines in there. So I deleted the old assignment lines. Then:

Code:
>grep -e "^SYNC" -e "^GENTOO_MIRRORS" /etc/make.conf
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/ http://mirrors.rit.edu/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync5.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

I'd like to change the order of the two sites in GENTOO_MIRRORS line, but I will leave that for later.

Code:
>rm /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp.chk
>emerge --sync
>emerge links
>links http://www.gentoo.org
"Welcome to links!... blah blah blah"

It seems the changes to GENTOO_MIRRORS and SYNC take effect immediately, no need to reboot like in Windows (or even re-login).

I think I am good to go now. All I have to now is remember what my original issue was. :D

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by odeSolver on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it works now. :)

Btw, two more things:

1. Please edit the first post of this thread and add [solved] to the subject line.

2. In the future, please wrap any input/output that has do with the shell into [code] tags. This means especially: commands you enter, files (or parts of files) you quote from, and output of issued commands. This will make your posts a *lot* more readable.

And then: happy Gentoo-ing :)
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxg wrote:
I'm glad it works now. :)

Btw, two more things:

1. Please edit the first post of this thread and add [solved] to the subject line.

2. In the future, please wrap any input/output that has do with the shell into [code] tags. This means especially: commands you enter, files (or parts of files) you quote from, and output of issued commands. This will make your posts a *lot* more readable.

And then: happy Gentoo-ing :)

The title was too long to add SOLVED. I changed it to closer reflect the real issue anyway.
I updated my previous post. My usual MO is to post, proofread, edit. But you respond too quickly to see my clearer, easier to read posts. I will have to remember to proofread using Preview button from now on. :D
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidUser wrote:
It seems the changes to GENTOO_MIRRORS and SYNC take effect immediately, no need to reboot like in Windows (or even re-login).
This is one of the nasty computer misunderstandings that Windows has made standard among users. On Linux, it is generally sufficient to restart the process which reads the settings. In this case, any emerge that was running while you made those changes likely would have ignored them. Any new emerge process started after the change was written would necessarily need to read the file as part of its startup, and would find the new values when it did so.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
StupidUser wrote:
This is one of the nasty computer misunderstandings that Windows has made standard among users. On Linux, it is generally sufficient to restart the process which reads the settings. In this case, any emerge that was running while you made those changes likely would have ignored them. Any new emerge process started after the change was written would necessarily need to read the file as part of its startup, and would find the new values when it did so.

If I'm correct, many Win changes can also be put into effect by stopping and starting processes. However, MS has dumbed all of us users down so we are only capable of restarting Windows (of course, they also have way too many processes running and hogging the CPU). You also have to have everything closed, even though you can't close many processes, before you install anything and have to constantly clean your PC.

So far, Linux seems complicated, too. But my learning curve typically starts slow, and I know I started with one of the more configurable versions of Linux instead of the plug-and-install type, so we'll see what happens.

I am in agreement that Windows (and Mac OS) have hidden important structure from us and dumbed us down. Believe it or not, I was once very proficient in MS-DOS before they started complicating things.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although in principle it is sufficient to restart the programs in Windows, in practice many vendors have capitalized on the user expecting a reboot by omitting from their design any feature which would allow more granular reloads. You may also be caught by surprise by one of the major differences between Windows and Linux handling of open files. On Windows, running processes pin their files and the file cannot be deleted until the associated process exits. On Linux, the kernel supports having a file that has been unlinked and not freed, so you can delete a file while it is still in use. Its disk blocks remain allocated until it ceases to be in use, at which time they are freed. This means that you can unlink any running program. You could even /bin/rm /bin/rm, though I would advise against it, as many build systems may expect that rm exists.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: