Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gionnico
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
Downgrading to 10.5 also fixed the problem here, on AMD64. Thanks ... surfing with those black rectangles is impossible :-)

but only 10.7 support xorg 1.8.0
nekromancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have the same problem but the rectangles where grey.

Kernel = 2.6.35-gentoo-r4
xorg-server = 1.7.7-r1
xorg-x11 = 7.4-r1
ati-drviers = 10.8

I have tried the command
Code:
aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE
but that just made the rectangles black :(

I can't downgrade to ati-drivers 10.5 as portage only has 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 available, and in the other sites it mentions using xorg-server 1.8 and some xorg-server-1.8-catalyst-maximize-fix patch.

But I don't know what to really do, I don't want to screw up my xorg installation.
Should I try a different ati driver ? I use VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" I have a laptop with a
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
nekromancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh nice, I upgraded xorg to 8.x and it freezes.

Guess i'm stuck with these crappy rectangles.
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekromancer wrote:

The problem is down to the 2D rendering conflicting with the 3D acceleration from what i can gather and only occurs when compiz is running.

I found a connection between compiz and KDE caused some problems as KDE has its own built in windows manager which contains some of the same features as compiz.

I made sure compiz was selected as my default window manager in kde system settings -> Default applications->> window manager and selected use different window manager. I set it to compiz.

restarted then did the force fsaa thing as you have tried. solved the problem for me and i am running the latest ATI drivers 10.8 from ATI binary.

I also found a conflicting session startup with RandR which was sending my monitors crazy every time i tried to debug this fault so i disabled it and let the ATI driver handle the monitors. I did this by going into my KDE system settings -> advanced tab ->service manager->>startup services and look for RandR remove the tick for it reboot and that solves another ATI driver conflict.

Try a few of them if it still dont work try posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log there maybe a clue in there. if the fsaa force command was successful it should report a line in the /var/log/xorg.0.log that 2d is disabled well i think so but its starting point. I looked through mine the other day and seen this line after the fsaa report mode. Might be also advantage to check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf make sure everything looks right.

What happens when you try load amdccle control panel app?

hope this helps
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
nekromancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1r31c3r wrote:
nekromancer wrote:

The problem is down to the 2D rendering conflicting with the 3D acceleration from what i can gather and only occurs when compiz is running.

I found a connection between compiz and KDE caused some problems as KDE has its own built in windows manager which contains some of the same features as compiz.

I made sure compiz was selected as my default window manager in kde system settings -> Default applications->> window manager and selected use different window manager. I set it to compiz.

restarted then did the force fsaa thing as you have tried. solved the problem for me and i am running the latest ATI drivers 10.8 from ATI binary.

I also found a conflicting session startup with RandR which was sending my monitors crazy every time i tried to debug this fault so i disabled it and let the ATI driver handle the monitors. I did this by going into my KDE system settings -> advanced tab ->service manager->>startup services and look for RandR remove the tick for it reboot and that solves another ATI driver conflict.

Try a few of them if it still dont work try posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log there maybe a clue in there. if the fsaa force command was successful it should report a line in the /var/log/xorg.0.log that 2d is disabled well i think so but its starting point. I looked through mine the other day and seen this line after the fsaa report mode. Might be also advantage to check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf make sure everything looks right.

What happens when you try load amdccle control panel app?

hope this helps

I think your advice just about solved my problem. I stopped the RandR services and re-added the
Code:
aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE
command and everything seems to be running smoothly.

Thanks for the help man.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: