View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: gtk-engines, where to find "smooth" Reply with quote

I am not much of a gnome guy but lately I've been using it for the sake of comfort. I have been intrigued however with the fact that all the gnome themes using the smooth engine fail to load correctly because this engine is missing. It's not on my libs as I can see:

Code:
# echo $PWD ; ls $PWD
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines
libaurora.la   libcleanice.la    libcrux-engine.la  libequinox.la     libflat.la   libia_ora.so      libmist.so     libnimbus.so  libpixmap.so     libredmond95.so  libsvg.so          libubuntulooks.so
libaurora.so   libcleanice.so    libcrux-engine.so  libequinox.so     libflat.so   libindustrial.la  libmurrine.la  libnodoka.la  libqtpixmap.la   librezlooks.la   libthinice.la
libcandido.la  libclearlooks.la  libdwerg.la        libexperience.la  libglide.la  libindustrial.so  libmurrine.so  libnodoka.so  libqtpixmap.so   librezlooks.so   libthinice.so
libcandido.so  libclearlooks.so  libdwerg.so        libexperience.so  libglide.so  libmist.la        libnimbus.la   libpixmap.la  libredmond95.la  libsvg.la        libubuntulooks.la

All the themes using the smooth widget engine look similar to the default gnome look because smooth cannot be loaded. The exact warning message in the appearance dialog when loading one of these themes is this:

Quote:
This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+`theme engine 'smooth' is not installed.

I have installed all these engine packages:

Code:
# qlist -I gtk-engines
x11-themes/gtk-engines
x11-themes/gtk-engines-aurora
x11-themes/gtk-engines-candido
x11-themes/gtk-engines-cleanice
x11-themes/gtk-engines-devnull
x11-themes/gtk-engines-dwerg
x11-themes/gtk-engines-equinox
x11-themes/gtk-engines-experience
x11-themes/gtk-engines-flat
x11-themes/gtk-engines-iaora
x11-themes/gtk-engines-murrine
x11-themes/gtk-engines-nimbus
x11-themes/gtk-engines-nodoka
x11-themes/gtk-engines-qtpixmap
x11-themes/gtk-engines-rezlooks
x11-themes/gtk-engines-ubuntulooks

There's no 'gtk-engines-smooth' as far as I see. I'd hope smooth to be included on the default package then, but it is not.

Am I -maybe- missing something very simple?

Thanks beforehand everyone ;)
XQYZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every engine is necessarily in portage I guess. I had to compile one by myself, too a while back. I guess it wouldn't be to hard to add an ebuild if you wanted to.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XQYZ wrote:
Not every engine is necessarily in portage I guess. I had to compile one by myself, too a while back. I guess it wouldn't be to hard to add an ebuild if you wanted to.

I would usually agree if it wasn't because there are some themes in portage that use that engine. I guess it's time to fill some bugs. Such as:

Code:
# eix smooth
[I] x11-themes/smooth-themes
     Available versions:  0.5.8-r1
     Installed versions:  0.5.8-r1(18:47:16 09/06/10)
     Homepage:            http://sourceforge.net/projects/smooth-engine/
     Description:         A clean set of GTK+ themes based on the Smooth engine

[I] x11-themes/smoothgnome
     Available versions:  (*)2.0.4-r1 {debug}
     Installed versions:  2.0.4-r1(10:51:42 28/07/10)(-debug)
     Homepage:            http://web.subpop.net/art/smoothgnome/
     Description:         A GNOME theme designed to make a nicer default looking desktop

Found 2 matches.

So, those two have a broken dependency and do not work at all as intended. For what I see in bugzilla there has been a gtk-engines-smooth in the past, but it isn't there anymore. I'll research a bit more about this and keep you posted if no one else knows something definitive about the issue.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs:

smoothgnome: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330181
smooth-themes: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330183
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to install this with my own ebuild and it kind of works. But as soon as I enable a theme that uses the smooth engine the whole destop (mainly the panels) start acting weird and the thing is unusable, so I guess that there's something odd at source level. The smooth engine is no longer compatible with latest gtk+ versions. Maybe that's why it was removed... no idea.
RedSquirrel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'smooth' engine used to be included with gtk-engines but it was removed some time ago. From the ChangeLog for gtk-engines:

Quote:
*gtk-engines-2.16.0 (08 Oct 2008)

08 Oct 2008; Mart Raudsepp <leio@gentoo.org> +gtk-engines-2.16.0.ebuild:
New version. Lua engine is now enabled in our packages in case something
needs it. Smooth engine has been removed due to lack of maintainer.
Various improvements to the engines; clearlooks classic variant should
look closer to the old pre-cairo classic version.

i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking something along these lines, thanks for confirming it, I haven't had the time to look at the Changelogs yet.

So all the smooth-related stuff in portage has a broken dep tree and should be depending on '<gtk-engines-2.16.0'
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That stuff was removed about 2 years ago, and you found your primary gtk engine is missing now? That shows you have not used gtk apps for a while...:-D

Try gtk-engines-qtcurve. If you like QT look.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Wow! That stuff was removed about 2 years ago, and you found your primary gtk engine is missing now? That shows you have not used gtk apps for a while...:-D

Try gtk-engines-qtcurve. If you like QT look.

I haven't used gnome since like ten years ago, at least not in my own machines.

I've used gtk entines alone and lots of gtk programs. I didn't notice anything about this because this problem only occurs when you use *gnome* themes. You use a given gnome theme and it says that it can't find the smooth engine.

Since I was using the engines directly (and not via gnome themes) there's no way I could have noticed this outside gnome. I just picked an engine in gtk-chtheme or lxappearance and that was everything I needed. Smooth wasn't in that list, but that wasn't (and isn't) the problem. The problem is that there are themes in portage that use a given engine that's not in portage. That is like having qt apps in portage without having ebuilds for qt. A nonsense.

I know about qt-curve, a very powerful engine indeed. But my problem is not related to finding a pleasing appearance. I can live with about any engine as long as it's not too flashy and overloaded.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: