View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heimfrost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: fluxbox doesn't close open programs on exit, gracefully Reply with quote

If I exit fluxbox by its menu command and I have maybe an open firefox, then it crashes and isn't closed correctly by fluxbox.
If I restart fluxbox and open firefox, it reports me, it wasn't closed correctly and shows me the restore dialog.
Is there a possibility to automatical close all running apps "smooth", before fluxbox ends ?
And the second question, on all open windows I can right click and can mark save options about the maximize/minimize, position, etc. of the opened window.
Is there a config option to do so with all windows, because I don't want to add the same to every program manually ?
RedSquirrel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: fluxbox doesn't close open programs on exit, gracefully Reply with quote

Heimfrost wrote:
If I exit fluxbox by its menu command and I have maybe an open firefox, then it crashes and isn't closed correctly by fluxbox.
If I restart fluxbox and open firefox, it reports me, it wasn't closed correctly and shows me the restore dialog.
Is there a possibility to automatical close all running apps "smooth", before fluxbox ends ?

Personally, I close all applications prior to exiting the window manager. In the case of firefox, it really is better to close it properly before exiting fluxbox. For other applications that do not mind being 'killed', you could start fluxbox using a scheme similar to the following (in ~/.fluxbox/startup or ~/.xinitrc):

Code:
flubox &
fbpid=$!

# start some apps
foo &
foopid=$!

bar &
barpid=$!

# wait until the WM exits
wait $fbpid

sleep 1

# kill processes
kill $foopid
kill $barpid

Heimfrost wrote:
And the second question, on all open windows I can right click and can mark save options about the maximize/minimize, position, etc. of the opened window.
Is there a config option to do so with all windows, because I don't want to add the same to every program manually ?

When you use that right-click menu to achieve those settings, fluxbox is adding them to the ~/.fluxbox/apps file. You can edit this file directly. Have a look at the APPLICATIONS section of the fluxbox man page:

Code:
man fluxbox
Heimfrost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fluxbox doesn't close open programs on exit, gracefully Reply with quote

RedSquirrel wrote:

Personally, I close all applications prior to exiting the window manager. In the case of firefox, it really is better to close it properly before exiting fluxbox. For other applications that do not mind being 'killed', you could start fluxbox using a scheme similar to the following (in ~/.fluxbox/startup or ~/.xinitrc):

Code:
flubox &
fbpid=$!

# start some apps
foo &
foopid=$!

bar &
barpid=$!

# wait until the WM exits
wait $fbpid

sleep 1

# kill processes
kill $foopid
kill $barpid

Thx for that script. Maybe some "killall childs of fluxbox"-script I can add here or in a separate shutdown script (might be better). But I wondered about, because IceWM does always handle this correctly on its own and I hadn't any problems therefor there.

RedSquirrel wrote:

When you use that right-click menu to achieve those settings, fluxbox is adding them to the ~/.fluxbox/apps file. You can edit this file directly. Have a look at the APPLICATIONS section of the fluxbox man page:
Code:
man fluxbox

OK thx for the tip with the apps file, I will read and see.
Heimfrost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, I cannot use the kill command for terminating firefox gracefully.
I've tried most of the signals, it always reports me it crashes after restart.
So maybe I have to try wmctrl -c for this to do. So my question is, how icewm can handle this, because there, it doesn't crash ?
Isn't there enough time for the quit signal, so that firefox closes too fast for itself ?

A "killall -3 icewm" and restart brings me no crash report and a "killall -3 fluxbox" shows me a crash report.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: