Re-compiling kernel.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re-compiling kernel. Reply with quote

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I just want to make sure I get it right. I feel like I've learned a lot about linux but need to become adept at compiling since I avoid it a lot.

I used genkernel to compile my kernel when I first installed and just went with most of the default options and selections. Now though that I've learned more about gentoo and linux in general I'd like to recompile the kernel with some extra options that I didn't know existed.
I don't plan on using genkernel to compile this time. What I'd like to do is also delete a lot of the options that were selected that I know I don't need to decrease the size of my kernel.

Should it be of any significance that I used genkernel the first time? I can just simply change the stuff I don't want and add the stuff I do in menuconfig and then recompile right?

Also is this generally considered the proper code for compiling the kernel with modules?

Code:

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

Are all of these necessary?

My most important question is will this leave me with the same modules that I have now? As long as I don't deselect them in menuconfig? The reason I ask is that last time I tried to do something with the kernel I couldn't get networking up, because the modules didn't work. I don't want that to happen again.

Thanx
Peace
Brian
norvillebarnes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-compiling kernel. Reply with quote

Hi,
Kernel compilation is pretty easy, just make sure that you have a working one in your boot partition and the proper entries in lilo / grub so you have an option if you screw up. AFAIK you should be able to "make menuconfig" and pick and choose your options even though you originally used genkernel.
Yossarian wrote:

Code:

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

Are all of these necessary?

Yep. But may I suggest:
Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Same exact thing, only on one line and in one step.
Also check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=24626 for all your kernel compilation needs.
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are not all necessary.
make dep, that is important.
make clean is a good idea.
make bzImage, does just that, and is not needed if you aren't looking for a bzImage
make modules and make modules install only need to be executed if you want any new modules you added since last time you ran them.

so... if you are just updating your bzImage, not modules, and not upgrading to a new kernel, just do make dep && clean bzImage
if you just want to add new modules do make dep&&make clean modules modules_install
that can save a lot of time, sometimes.
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am mistaken, 'make dep ' and 'make clean' are no longer reccomended with the new 2.6 kernels.

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for warning me, but i have not used the 2.6 series yet, as the DRM/GL is broken...
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...Okay. Cool. I was always under the impression though that you had to recompile the modules too, everytime you recompiled the kernel. That's cool though. So are the modules stored somewhere seperate of the kernel?

Peace
Brian
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6 and did make menuconfig and added and changed what I wanted. Then I did
Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage
and it compiled for a while, then it said:
Code:
warning:kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
 make[1]:leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6/arch/i386/boot'

and it took me back to the bash prompt. Did it finish or did something go wrong? It seems like it didn't finish.
raDeon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it finished
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: