Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo, 2 years of absence were enough, I'm back Baby!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doalwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Gentoo, 2 years of absence were enough, I'm back Baby!! Reply with quote

Hi @all,

I've been a diehard Gentoo advocate since 2002 and used it on my main machine til around 2007 or 2008, can't even remember anymore.
Sadly I commited the crime of not updating my Gentoo machine for a few months, which ultimately led to dozens and dozens of blocked packages...I tried for weeks to get my machine going again and ulitmately decided it just wasn't woth the trouble.
In the end I've just wiped the disks and set up OpenSolaris :?

Anyways, I missed it..there, I said it, I missed my Gentoo :lol:
So I decided to give it a try after all those years, set up a Virtual machine in VMWare Fusion and basically just went through the motions, nothing really that much changed in those last few years it seems!
I was up and running in no time...I was especially fond of the way Xorg is now automatically configured using DBUS and HAL.

I've opted for KDE as my desktop environment, just to check what the KDE guys were able to pull off after the disastrous KDE 4.0, which was the last KDE version I've really actively used...and I'm impessed, KDE is slick, very slick!

So anyways, I'll be fiddling away for the rest of the evening with my brand spanking-new Gentoo machine, good to be back 8)
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back :D
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo, 2 years of absence were enough, I'm back Baby!! Reply with quote

Welcome back!

doalwa wrote:
Sadly I commited the crime of not updating my Gentoo machine for a few months, which ultimately led to dozens and dozens of blocked packages...I tried for weeks to get my machine going again and ulitmately decided it just wasn't woth the trouble.

An easy way around this problem is to do a fresh install on a different partition. I usually keep a bunch of spare 10G -- 30G partitions and keep all of my stuff on a large partition that I mount at /data. My home directory is not on /data/. I copy the home directory from the old system to the new one. But it contains many symlinks to directories under /data. The idea is that I copy config information but symlink to my own content. HTH.
doalwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo, 2 years of absence were enough, I'm back Baby!! Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
Welcome back!

doalwa wrote:

An easy way around this problem is to do a fresh install on a different partition. I usually keep a bunch of spare 10G -- 30G partitions and keep all of my stuff on a large partition that I mount at /data. My home directory is not on /data/. I copy the home directory from the old system to the new one. But it contains many symlinks to directories under /data. The idea is that I copy config information but symlink to my own content. HTH.

Thanks for the advice, I'll think about it.

For the time being, I'll trust regular OSX TimeMachine backups and updating my Gentoo VM at least once a week from getting me back in trouble again :!:
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back :P
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo, 2 years of absence were enough, I'm back Baby!! Reply with quote

doalwa wrote:

More recent portage is smarter about blockers. Anyway, yeah, rare updates are always a problem.

Welcome back!
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back & enjoy your stay ! :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see users coming back! welcome back
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update -- hal is deprecated, KDE 4.6 doesn't require it anymore. :)
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! :)

I'm back myself also after about two years of absence. :P First thing I notice: no stage1 tarballs... :cry: ...but I managed to pull off a pseudo-stage1 install (luckily the handbook mentions some bits and pieces of info about rebuilding the whole chain :) ) and the install is running like a dream for half year now. :D

Someone on this forum said it a while back: once you start using Gentoo, you'll get back to it over and over again... Might as well just stay here and don't move. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: