Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xorg-server-1.7.7 + nvidia-drivers-195.36.24 = (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: xorg-server-1.7.7 + nvidia-drivers-195.36.24 = (solved) Reply with quote

Recently did a world update, and after the libpng shitstorm, I couldn't bring up X anymore. Just get a black screen.

Followed a number of threads here, including pappy's downgrade guide, but that didn't work- got stuck halfway through and spent another hour revdep-rebuilding and getting all of the currently supported ebuilds back in place.

Also tried upgrading to the hard masked version of the nvidia-drivers, as this has worked for others: no luck there.

I'm running kernel version 2.6.34-gentoo-r1. Xorg and nvidia build versions are in the subject... here's the relevant part of Xorg.0.log
Code:
X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 i686
Current Operating System: Linux teletran4 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 #2 SMP Mon Aug 2 11:$
Kernel command line:
Build Date: 16 August 2010  06:52:55PM
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
(II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 09:34:29 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
Any help of suggestions much appreciated! Be kinda nice to have a desktop again...

Last edited by gr0x0rd on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
paintball9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With nvidia driver's you have to put

disable "dri"
disable "dri2"

into the modules section of xorg.conf

Ran into the same problem myself the other day. Apparently they load automatically now so the disable line is required. As opposed to the old way to commenting out the load line

Quote:
Then go to the Module section and make sure the glx module gets loaded while the dri module doesn't:

Code Listing 3.12: Updating the Module section

Section "Module"
(...)
# Load "dri"
Load "glx"
(...)
EndSection

I think I had to add the glx option as well, but I can't check atm. (this is from the gentoo nvidia guide)
.arris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems here, amd64 + xorg-server-1.7.7-r1 + nvidia-drivers-195.36.24. Was working fine with xorg-server-1.7.6., but after the update I only get a blank screen. Paintball9's suggestion made the errors about dri in xorg log go away, but didn't help with the actual problem. I tried downgrading xorg-server, upgrading nvidia-drivers to no avail. Any ideas?
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip- the disable tip wasn't in the guide. I went through the guide and checked all my settings, but no luck. I also followed the x server guide, and managed to get a bit further... generated a new config file, and when run as root I can get a display with a cursor but no windows. The same config file when not run as root results in a lockup.

I've been through some nasty world updates over the years, but this one is by far the worst. :(
paintball9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I'm not sure then. I just ran into that problem on a brand new install (last week) so I didn't have any underlying config file things to worry about. I'm running the same amd64 - xorg-server 1.7.7 and the newest nvidia drivers. If you guys want I can post my config files for you to look over, Just let me know which one's you want and I'll post them. Mine's working fine thus far. Running an 8600M GT BTW. (Acer 5920g)
8mihi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For note, just emerged recent updates...

I now have: amd64 + xorg-server-1.7.7-r1 + nvidia-drivers-195.36.24

Multilib box. All is working fine for me post update afaict, with both 2.6.34 and 2.6.31rt kernels. No xorg.conf in /etc/X11 at all. Have rebooted several times now, slim starts properly and no mouse, keyboard or screen issues noted (as yet) in X (Openbox) on either kernel.

Hardware is AMD Athlon64/ASUS MB, 1800+ box w/2G RAM (hand/home built).
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I bit the bullet and did an
Code:
emerge -ave system
followed by an
Code:
emerge -ave world
and low and behold I have an X server again! No window borders though, the nvidia GLX components fail to load in xorg. I tried disabling the glx module to no avail. I also tried the latest nvidia drivers but get the same result.
Code:
(WW) "dri2" will not be loaded unless you've specified it to be loaded elsewhere.
(WW) "glx" will not be loaded unless you've specified it to be loaded elsewhere.
(WW) "dri" will not be loaded unless you've specified it to be loaded elsewhere.
(==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) Aug 17 20:06:25 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) Aug 17 20:06:25 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) Aug 17 20:06:25 NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) Aug 17 20:06:25 NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
(EE) Aug 17 20:06:25 NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) Aug 17 20:06:25 NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
(II) Aug 17 20:06:26 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 260 (GT200) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
Never thought I'd be so happy to see a gui again! Baby steps I guess.
.arris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After endless trial and error, I finally managed to fix my problem. It turns out nvidia-driver was outputting to VGA/CRT only, not to DVI where my monitor is connected. So I temporarily hooked up the monitor to VGA and ran nvidia-settings to create an xorg.conf with DFP enabled and CRT disabled. With this config my x-server would finally work as before again. Why this problem showed up right after I updated xorg-server is beyond me. For reference I'm attaching the xorg.conf that now works for me (the important line seems to be the "metamodes" option in the screen section):

Code:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings                                                   
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (root@xxx)  Sun Jun 27 15:40:05 CDT 2010                                       

Section "ServerLayout"                                                                                                 
    Identifier     "Layout0"                                                                                           
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0                                                                                       
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"                                                                         
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"                                                                             
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"                                                                                     
EndSection                                                                                                             

Section "Files"                                                                                                       
EndSection                                                                                                             

Section "InputDevice"                                                                                                 
    # generated from data in "/etc/conf.d/gpm"                                                                         
    Identifier     "Mouse0"                                                                                           
    Driver         "mouse"                                                                                             
    Option         "Protocol"                                                                                         
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"                                                                         
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"                                                                             
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"                                                                               
EndSection                                                                                                             

Section "InputDevice"                                                                                                 
    # generated from default                                                                                           
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"                                                                                         
    Driver         "kbd"                                                                                               
EndSection                                                                                                             

Section "Monitor"                                                                                                     
    # HorizSync source: unknown, VertRefresh source: unknown                                                           
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"                                                                                           
    ModelName      "BenQ FP202W"                                                                                       
    HorizSync       0.0 - 0.0                                                                                         
    VertRefresh     0.0                                                                                               
    Option         "DPMS"                                                                                             
EndSection                                                                                                             

Section "Device"                                                                                                       
    Identifier     "Device0"                                                                                           
    Driver         "nvidia"                                                                                           
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"                                                                               
    BoardName      "GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS"                                                                           
EndSection                                                                                                             

Section "Screen"                                                                                                       
    Identifier     "Screen0"                                                                                           
    Device         "Device0"                                                                                           
    Monitor        "Monitor0"                                                                                         
    DefaultDepth    24                                                                                                 
    Option         "TwinView" "0"                                                                                     
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"                                                         
    SubSection     "Display"                                                                                           
        Depth       24                                                                                                 
    EndSubSection                                                                                                     
EndSection
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now have direct rendering once again. The solution wasn't anything obvious, it was simply to use my old xorg.conf file rather than the ones X and/or the nvidia config generated. This seems kind of stupid, but I'm going with project mayhem on this one. Here's the sexed up version of the xorg.conf that got everything working again.
Code:
###################################################
#
# gr0x0rd's xorg.conf
#
###################################################

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "TVOut"
   Screen      0  "LCD Screen" 0 0
   Screen         "TV Screen" LeftOf "LCD Screen"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   SubSection "extmod"
      Option       "omit xfree86-dga"
   EndSubSection
   Load  "dbe"
   disable  "dri"
   disable  "dri2"
   Load  "vbe"
   Load  "GLcore"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "bitmap"
   Load  "speedo"
   Load  "record"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Dell LCD"
   VendorName   "Dell"
   ModelName    "DELL E196FP"
   HorizSync    31.5 - 31.5
   VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "TV"
   VendorName   "Sony"
   ModelName    "Wega"
   Option       "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Device0"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "NVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "GeForce GTX 260"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Device1"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "NVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "GeForce GTX 260"
   Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "LCD Screen"
   Device     "Device0"
   Monitor    "Dell LCD"
   DefaultDepth     24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     24
      Modes    "1280x1024"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "TV Screen"
   Device     "Device1"
   Monitor    "TV"
   DefaultDepth     24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport 0 0
      Depth    24
      Modes    "1280x720"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option       "Composite" "Enable"
   Option       "RENDER" "Enable"
   Option       "DAMAGE" "Enable"
EndSection
This thread be solved... now off to find out why my wireless card isn't working anymore, and why I can barely hear any sound volum despite my maxed alsa mixer levels. See you in another thread!
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gr0x0rd,
I had my share of problems months ago.
I finally ended up with this xorg.conf.

Code:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "nvidia"
     Driver "nvidia"
#    Driver  "nv"
  Option "RenderAccel" "true"
  Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
  Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
  Option "RandRRotation" "true"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/xorg-x11/extensions/"
EndSection

The files section will take care of the dri errors in Xorg.log.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: