Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to make pidgin use notify-osd-bubbles?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imbericle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: How to make pidgin use notify-osd-bubbles? Reply with quote

Notify-osd works fine but the messages from pidgin aren't shown in notification-bubbles. Each message from pidgin let pop out a new focused window, which I have to close.
Anyway when I use
Code:
notify-send "test"
, "test" is shown in a notification-buble.

How to make pidgin use notify-osd-bubbles?

Could somebody recommend me a notification daemon that is similar to notify-osd? Most important is that the notifications disappear on mouse over.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not many choices, gnome's notification-daemon, xfce4-notifyd and notify-osd from ubuntu are the only one. You can't have two of them running at the same time, how did you install notify-osd?
I think it is better for you to try some alternative notification-daemon engines (themes) which goes to /usr/lib/notification-daemon, I have fedora's and it looks better. Ubuntu notifications are very crippled, you can't position it (it is fixed no matter where your panel is) , you can't set timeout, you can't use markup language, you can't close the damn thing and you can't update it frequently without blocking.

Edit: I just looked, you must also patch pidgin in order for it to work with notify-osd, the problem is that pidgin sends interactive
messages but notify-osd only manages non-interactive ones, so pidgin then popups dialog windows you see.
Imbericle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both notification-dameon and xfce4-notify, but both do not disappear when I move the mouse over them. And that's the reason why I use notify-osd, I know that I can not configure it. I hope Ubuntu will change that sometime... But the current configuration is okay for me.

Ah I found the patch https://bugs.gentoo.org/280775

Works well, thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: