View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denmin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Is Toshiba Satellite good? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a Toshiba laptop and i got a specific in my mind GS5037
Can u guys please check it out for me thanks.http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L500/L505-GS5037
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the HDD use a 5400 RPM instead of a standard 7200 RPM.

But for the rest, it seems to be a pretty little laptop.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its shiny (at least from the picture) - i.e you will see your fingerprint all over it.

'Slow' harddrive - though I would say normal harddrive, and not a fast one.

screen resolution is relatively low for a screen of that size. I'd go for 1440x900 or even 1650x1050.

But looking at the price, it seems reasonable.
salmonix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One repair pal used to say that first Toshibas, last Fujitsu-Siemens and MSI. The rest depends on the warranty period, but disliked IBM-Lenovo. Well, perhaps it has changed since, but still can be applied. Check out the warranty.
If U do not want to play games, then two things decide 'cause you face those mostly:
1. keyboard how comfortable. I have an Acer 4810tz. I notoriously mishit some keys - Home, Del, í - for the nicely designed flat buttons end up in a bit wide keyboard. This mistyping does not happen on my ancient Compag 1750.
2. Display: brightness. If you use it in a light env. then it is good to have it bright. But that may burn your eyes in the evenings. Second: proportions. I do not like those wide screens, when I switch back to my old laptop I feel like in the free.
But these things may vary, for you may have longer fingers and less light sensitive eyes.

For the rest almost any machine satisfies normal needs. For me the usable bottom end is a 233 PII IBM Thinkpad. I regurarly work on a 333 Compaq. Today's machines are far beyond those old pieces.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best for you, should be to find a place where they have it and actually try it.

Keyboard ergonomie is pretty personnal.

For my concen, I really like the feeling of a Thinkpad keyboard :P
tom2k10
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Toshiba Satellite good? Reply with quote

Denmin wrote:
Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a Toshiba laptop and i got a specific in my mind GS5037
Can u guys please check it out for me thanks.http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L500/L505-GS5037

Here are a few review sites for it (no affiliate links :) )

http://hubpages.com/hub/L505-GS5037

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L505-GS5037-TruBrite-15-6-Inch/product-reviews/B0030INLSW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: