preparing for my first gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theflax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: preparing for my first gentoo install Reply with quote

Hey all,
Getting ready for my first gentoo install, just gonna list off my hardware, and my most likely partition set up. If anyone has had any major problems with any of this, id love to hear about it. A work around would be even better. O yea, im going to do a stage1 install. im slightly above n00b with linux, not much ;)

CPU: 733mhz p3, not overclocked
RAM:128 DRAM (i think thats what it is...if that doesnt make any sense, tell me and i`ll check lol)probably will up the ram before i start...
CD: 52x generic reader
CD Burner:12x8x32 generic burner
HD: 20 gig fuijistu (or however you spell it)

Partition:
Hda1:boot:64 megs:ext3
Hda2:swap:256 megs
hda3:4.5 gigs:ext3 or resierFS
hda4:15gigs:FAT32 (used for windows ME)

Bootloader:Grub

flax
fido
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, I would go for 256Meg of RAM at least if possible. It might make a difference, especially when compiling and in X. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: preparing for my first gentoo install Reply with quote

theflax wrote:
<snip>
CPU: 733mhz p3, not overclocked
RAM:128 DRAM (i think thats what it is...if that doesnt make any sense, tell me and i`ll check lol)probably will up the ram before i start...
CD: 52x generic reader
CD Burner:12x8x32 generic burner
HD: 20 gig fuijistu (or however you spell it)

Partition:
Hda1:boot:64 megs:ext3
Hda2:swap:256 megs
hda3:4.5 gigs:ext3 or resierFS
hda4:15gigs:FAT32 (used for windows ME)
</snip>

I would go with resier for your / ( you'll get better performance! ) and I second the idea for more ram. You will notice a HUGE difference, in both win and linux. Try and get XP or 98 if at all possible ME is horrible, BSOD all the time! Thats just my thoughts.
paranerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: preparing for my first gentoo install Reply with quote

Sesshomaru wrote:

I would go with resier for your / ( you'll get better performance! ) and I second the idea for more ram. You will notice a HUGE difference, in both win and linux. Try and get XP or 98 if at all possible ME is horrible, BSOD all the time! Thats just my thoughts.

I second all three of those recommendations. I'm running a couple of junkheap boxes that only have 128meg (but then they only have 266mhz Pentiums as well) and they're a nice place to visit but I'm glad I don't have to live there. Another 128 meg should only cost you 20 bucks (after instant and mail-in rebates see store for details) and will make a big difference in your joi de vie.

And ME is only good for one thing: convincing people to switch to something else. Anything else. I speak from experience.

Good Luck!
rootkit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: preparing for my first gentoo install Reply with quote

theflax wrote:
...O yea, im going to do a stage1 install. im slightly above n00b with linux, not much ;) ...flax

I'd recommend a stage3 install it's quick and will allow you get used to the gentoo way without a big time investment; then go back and do a stage1.

cheers
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your /boot is a little overkill. 16 Mb of ext2 is enough. Not that it will save you a lot of memory, but why the waste...

And if you need windows installed, just stick to win ME. It may be horrible, but it's not worse than win 98. And windows is expensive to upgrade!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: