pulseaudio + gstreamer + KDE = crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMCBoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: pulseaudio + gstreamer + KDE = crash Reply with quote

Greetings!

For a while, I have been struggling to get audio working in the flash plugin for firefox (it's been working in the rest of my KDE desktop). My system: 64-bit, on-board nforce2 audio, using HDMI for audio output.

I think the issue is that the flash plugin doesn't know to use the HDMI port. It may be sending its audio to the "regular" audio port, which I am not using. This despite my asound.conf file having been set up properly to point pcm.!default to the HDMI port (as evidenced by working HDMI audio on the rest of the desktop).

In any case, I finally found a way to enable audio in flash, on these very forums: by installing pulseaudio, setting the pulseaudio USE flag, and modifying my asound.conf file thusly:

Code:
pcm.!default {
        type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
        type pulse
}

When I do that, eureka! I get audio in my youtube videos. Huzzah, cigars all around.

Except. Now most of my KDE apps crash, with error messages implicating gstreamer and phonon. Cue gnashing of teeth and mutterings about nothing ever (ever!) just working.

Anyway, I just realized I can get audio working with the flash plugin, *and* still have a functional KDE desktop, by switching KDE's backend audio from gstreamer to xine. So, problem solved, I guess. But why am I painted into such a weird corner of arcane audio parameter space? Is anyone aware of a way to solve this without resorting to pulseaudio?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: