View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: [Solved] Kmail no longer functions after emerge -uDN world Reply with quote

The mail accounts work fine, and Evolution works just fine.

No changes other than updating as usual.

Yet once again, updating Gentoo breaks something.

Any clues? Anyone having a similar experience?

Sending failed:
smtp:<mail server> (which works just fine)
The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
The following transport was used:
<identity> (and all of them fail the same way)

Last edited by Darth Marley on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
s_bernstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the exact same problem. ATM I'm reverting back to kontact-4.4.5. I believe the problem is, that there is no kdelibs-4.4.7 yet. I had problems with kontact and kdelibs before with non-matching versions.

On the other hand, kde is getting worse with every new version. So I'm thinking about moving away from my beloved kontact. Although there not seems to be another good solution, kontact is heading towards unusable in giant leaps.

EDIT:

OK, that doesn't fix the problem. Also I've noticed that on my notebook there was no kmail update but I have the same problem. After looking in the mail-server logs, it seems to be a problem with the tsl authentication. So, maybe the updated gnutls is causing the problem.

EDIT 2:

So, it running again. But I'm not quite sure, what change made the difference. I've recompiled gnutls and openssl, which told me to revdep-rebuild 2 libraries. During running those revdep-rebuilds kmail start working again. My problem is fixed now, maybe it will fix yours too?
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when playing with account settings, I get a segfault when I "check to see what the server uses" in terms of TLS, etc.

I'll give those packages a shot when my current experiment is finished.

>>Fixing libcrypto indeed solved the issue. I am now grepping through elog to make sure there aren't other hidden treasures lurking.
Loci79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems although they did not occur at the same time.

At first I could not send mails via SMTP+TLS (although the server supports TLS). After three days I could not get any mail via my IMAP account but without any error messages. The only thing I found were crashes of kio_imap in .xsession_errors.

What finally fixed the problem was rebuilding openssl and running revdep-rebuild with the two mentioned libraries from the post-merge-message.

The really strange thing about this was, that my last merge of openssl was about 2 months ago and I did that revdep-rebuild there, too. Everything worked fine --- until that 4.4.7-update for some of the KDE programs came.

Why I write all this? Well, ich had to search some hours until I got a useful solution for this problem... or at least a solution which didn't want to remerge the whole world.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: