the-board on gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: the-board on gentoo Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to share that it's possible to run The Board on gentoo. I have a ton of ebuilds for it's dependencies in my overlay.

If you ask yourself why i haven't created a ebuild for the-board itself, well there are actually some reasons for that:

1. Almost all dependencies for the-board are in alpha or beta status and thus far from being bug free
2. The Board itself doesn't even have a install makefile target yet, maybe if i find time in the next few weeks i'll have a look at it
3. The Board is definitely not ready for broader use. E.G. you NEED a fast vidcard to run this thing. It runs good on my office-pc with a geforce 9800 and nvidia-drivers but it was slow as hell and thus unusable on my laptop with a radeon hd 3200 with open-source ati-drivers.
4. It makes heavy use of gobject-introspection and this is something that gave me quite a headache till i had everything together...

So if somebody is interested in having a look at it, here is a short (and by far not complete) how-to:

1. you need to unmask the introspection use-flag in /etc/make.profile/use.mask
2. update or install gobject-introspection-0.9.3
3. install dependencies for the board: gtk+-2.90.6, clutter-1.3.12, clutter-gst-20100907, clutter-gtk-20100904, clutter-mx-1.1.0, gjs-20100904
4. just to make sure everything was build against the correct version of gobject-introspection:
Code:

for gir in `ls /usr/share/gir-1.0/*.gir`; do equery belongs $gir | grep / | sed -e "s|.*|=&|" | xargs emerge -a1v; done

5. download and build the-board
6. after the-board was built successfully, you can start it using the bash-script the-board that can be found under src

So if you need further instructions on how to install the board just let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: