retackeling raid 0 install....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: retackeling raid 0 install.... Reply with quote

okay so probably some of you have read my earlier thread about trying out a raid 0 configuration utilizing onboard raid controller and so i am at it again....i really don't have the money to pay for a raid controller.....and i cannot use the software raid...because i also need to run windows....

so the issue last time was setting up the partitions and then after that it was using gentoo-source and custom building my kernel....and then that is where everything went downhill i couldn't figure out how to install a initrd but i have stumbled upon mkinitrd which i guess is a utility to help build a initrd...

now i am probably going to revise how i setup the partitions because last time...i deleted i guess the ntfs partition that held the boot for the raid controller and it killed my setup i had to reinstall windows and it was a big mess so to get around it...i will just leave it there and not mess with it....

i will use lvm2 which i don't ever use so that is going to be another thing i need to learn...and what i will do is have the partition setup this way:
Code:

partition #1 :  (ext2 100mb) /boot 

partition #2 : (ntfs 100mb) onboard raid boot configuration

partition #3 : (ntfs 650gb) windows

partition #4 : (ntfs 20gb) windows recovery

partition #5 : (ext4 60gb) /root  <--logical

partition #6 : (ext4 10gb) /swap  <---logical

partition #7 : (ext4 100gb) /usr  <--logical

partition #8 : (ext4 100gb) /home <--logical

the sizes might look unreasonable..but i have two 500gb drive in raid 0 i need to take up space and i am a programmer and i torrent a lot so i will probably use a lot of space on linux as well...i am just trying to figure out how to use lvm2 for all my partition except for /boot....should i included any other partition??? i did the /home for added security...

i am running a lga 1156 cpu...the i7 860 so i will have this as my flags:

Code:

CFLAGS = "-march=native -O2 -pipe -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf"

MAKEOPTS = "-j9"

i think there are better things to put in....but the wiki page for safe cflags hasn't been updated.... for newer gcc i am intending on running a ~amd64 system..

okay so after i install the base system so of the utils and the kernel and compile it....install grub2 to the mbr....then what do i do??

is it run mkinitrd after i emerge it then copy over its result to /boot and modify menu.lst???

then reboot and see if it works??
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use fake raid (for windows) and software raid) for linux on the same box.

Windows will see the two disks as one raid1 disk, where linux will see the two disks as two disks which you can software raid together.

As long as you are using different partitions for both systems it should be happy.

you will need to remember to write the grub MBR to both disks tho, otherwise if one fails the other may not have the boot information

Rich
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i would install grub on first partition on master and then reinstall grub on slave on the same parition the first partition of that drive??

how do i make sure i don't screw up the win7 partition like if i was to say do this
Code:

master (hdd0):

partition 1 /boot ext2 100mb

partition 2 windows 7

slave (hdd1):

partition 1 /boot ext2 100mb

well my windows partition is setup on bios raid...so that 100mb ntfs bios raid configuration idk if that is important to keep or i can get rid of it if i use grub to boot to different partitions on the hdd..

it is i just don't want to end up with blank drives...and then have to start from scratch...because if i do that...i am going to commit to purchasing two more 500gb caviar black wd drives and then just putting the entire thing into a raid1+0 since i do keep alot of important information on my drives and running with a raid 0 is like playing Russian roulette with 6 bullets... :(

also would it be worth getting a raid control that has at least 4 sata III pci 8x i think and then not have to worry about onboard raid controller crap again??? i know it is like 200-600 bucks for one....but i need a good solution that will be used for years to come...

also i was thinking about this....get a 100-250gb ssd drive and use the raid 0 for windows and then have the 3rd drive ssd be purely for gentoo linux and then run grub /boot on ssd and then have the win7 be just raid 0 would that work???
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adramalech707 wrote:
i just don't want to end up with blank drives...and then have to start from scratch...

In that case, you probably don't want to mix BIOS RAID and Linux RAID on the same drives. This is just asking for data corruption.

A better setup would be to keep things completely separate, for example :
If you have 2 drives, put Windows on one drive, and Gentoo on the other drive, and forget about RAID.
If you have 4 drives, put Windows + BIOS RAID on 2 drives, and put Gentoo + Linux RAID on the other 2 drives.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with cyrillic on that one.

Use 2xhdd software linux raid + 2xhdd windows fakeraid
or use 2xhdd fakeraid on linux and windows with proper driver (the dmraid thing): look at that doc (look, never said "trust that"):
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/NVRAID_with_dmraid
But mixing 2xhdd fakeraid on windows and re-using those 2 disks under linux is a certain failure & datas lost
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: