Kde 4.5.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Kde 4.5.1 Reply with quote

Well, it's in Portage now, so it doesn't fit in the overlay bleeding edge thread. However, it won't enter the stable tree (it's keyworded) so it should be discussed with unsupported stuff I guess.

I have two problems with this version:

- The global keyboard shortcuts don't work. Alt+F2, Ctrl-F1, Alt-Tab, the regular stuff. It worked fine in 4.4.5
- As soon as KDE boots, the volume goes down. I've had this since 4.4. Alsamixer shows everything the way it should be, but the volume is much lower than just before starting KDE.
- It often hangs while loading KDE, at the splash screen. Sometimes I get a black screen after it, and have to kill startkde from a terminal and re-login. Other times, it works fine.

Where would I look to fix these things?

I also have a question -- how do you enable webkit in konqueror? The webkit kpart doesn't seem to be installed. Where do I find it?

EDIT: I figured the last one out -- emerge kwebkitpart.
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem with the global shortcuts.

I don't know why, but emerge -u @world has left me with half an upgrade, where half of the kde packages were stuck at 4.4.3. Among them were kglobalaccel and startkde.

I still don't understand why the upgrade left me with a broken system -- half of X was not upgraded either, leaving me with broken keyboard and mouse in X, and booting straight to kdm! That one was not easy to fix, or figure out!
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've finally gone through the output of equery list |grep kde and upgraded all the 4.4 packages by hand. I also masked all kde 4.4 packages and did revdep-rebuild. Sometimes I was stuck with two packages (they are slotted), where the older one should have been uninstalled by portage. Something seriously broke with this update. People should not have to do this by hand.

It seems a bit more stable now, but desktop effects are all gone. They are not even listed. Is this the general problem with kde 4.5 and mesa drivers or am I still missing some package somewhere?

Damn, emerge -u @world should have just worked, without having to do all this stuff. :/
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've fixed most of this.

I had to delete kwinrc, because it was filled up with crap and it blacklisted my driver. Then it didn't say why the compositing was disabled. After I removed the blacklist by hand, OpenGL compositing works again.

Every time I update the desktop effect settings, Kwin crashes, but it seems to be a radeon kernel drm problem.

It was quite stressful, but works mostly like I wanted. This might help somebody else who runs into similar problems. I still don't know why the upgrade got borked like that.

BTW, I figured out the sound thing too. Apparently, when KDE starts (solid or phonon or something), it switches the sound card to surround mode. But some of the surround channels were muted, so the overall sound was quieter than before. After unmuting everything, I get normal volume again.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingufunkybeat wrote:

Every time I update the desktop effect settings, Kwin crashes, but it seems to be a radeon kernel drm problem.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241402
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: