Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The tilde after a file, like grub.conf~ ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: The tilde after a file, like grub.conf~ ... Reply with quote

I don't remember when this started, but I now have numerous files with a tilde after them. For example, I have a 'grub.conf' and a 'grub.conf~' file.

IIRC, some of them may be identical in content and others may be different in content. When I run across them I usually delete them with no discernable difference in system operation, but I really can't be certain. Can someone shed some light on this for me? TIA, Bill
Johto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The tilde after a file, like grub.conf~ ... Reply with quote

needlern1 wrote:
I don't remember when this started, but I now have numerous files with a tilde after them. For example, I have a 'grub.conf' and a 'grub.conf~' file.

IIRC, some of them may be identical in content and others may be different in content. When I run across them I usually delete them with no discernable difference in system operation, but I really can't be certain. Can someone shed some light on this for me? TIA, Bill

Thats normal, dont worry...they are backups made by one of your editors you have been using editing those files..example joe editor does that...
far
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or emacs
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Johto and far. I do now feel a little more comfortable. Bill :)
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness-sake, Gnome's gedit does so as well.. Annoying behaviour.. At least it can be turned off.
mvr_rennes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
For completeness-sake, Gnome's gedit does so as well.. Annoying behaviour.. At least it can be turned off.

If you'd ever b0rked the file you're editing, or been unlucky enough that the power went out while editing, you sure wouldn't be saying that it is an annoying behaviour ;)
M
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive it's the behavior of a journaling filesystem and not any particular app.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:
I belive it's the behavior of a journaling filesystem and not any particular app.

Does it with ext2 as well. I always just considered this to be the default unix-ish behaviour of _any_ text editor.
Johto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:

If that would be the case, and it would be journaling filesystem doings, then there would be ~ on every file that is accessed/saved :)

So its just some editors and such, its quite nice feature if you happend to edit and screw something and dont remember how it was...you could then do "one level" undo with ~ file :)
UncleTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be the journaling fs, at least not reiser. With reiserfs and vi, I don't get those files.

As for security, I always make a copy of important system files before I touch them, because I never trust the editor not to overwrite its backup files right before I might need them. I even make backups from time to time. :wink:
lazarous
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:

No you are wrong. A filesystem like ext2 or even reiserfs does not make files named after other documents you create in directories on your HD. Vi will make these files on a floppy with the fat filesystem for example.

UNCLETOM: your logic doesnt hold up because vi does make similar backup files.

Please think before posting people. If you don't know for sure that something does something, please dont speculate because it causes confusion.
UncleTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazarous wrote:
Lycander wrote:

No you are wrong. A filesystem like ext2 or even reiserfs does not make files named after other documents you create in directories on your HD. Vi will make these files on a floppy with the fat filesystem for example.

UNCLETOM: your logic doesnt hold up because vi does make similar backup files.

Please think before posting people. If you don't know for sure that something does something, please dont speculate because it causes confusion.

8O

Look, there's absolutely no need to charge in and be unfriendly with people who want to help.

The fact that vi may make such backup files on floppies with fat filesystem is irrelevant. The fact that I use a certain journaling filesystem with a certain editor and don't get such files shows that it is not the filesystem that creates these files. If it were the filesystem doing it I would have these files also.

So after all we agree, don't we, lazarous? Maybe you should also think before posting? :wink:
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazarous wrote:
Lycander wrote:

No you are wrong. A filesystem like ext2 or even reiserfs does not make files named after other documents you create in directories on your HD.

I'll admit I'm wrong on the account that a journaling filesystem does not create the back up files, but I did not specifically say "ext2 or reiserfs" -- as you did -- because they aren't journaling file systems.

I thought Virginians were suppose to be nice people?
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you'd ever b0rked the file you're editing, or been unlucky enough that the power went out while editing, you sure wouldn't be saying that it is an annoying behaviour

Actually, I taught myself to save files often when working on them. It's a programmer's reflex, especially if you've worked with Microsoft's Windows OS (ctrl+s, type line, ctrl+s, typ..crash) before. Only now it's more along the lines of ":w, type line, :w, finish last line, :wq"

The difference between the "VIM way" and the "file~ way" is in the fact that VIM cleans up after itself if it exits nicely. Gedit in its default behaviour leaves the ~ files lying around.. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: