Forced over, certainly glad about it...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDLM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Forced over, certainly glad about it... Reply with quote

Well I was screwing around with OSX, crashing the hell out of it and hardlocked it - then when i rebooted it ran so slow i thought "perfect time to reformat and dualboot gentoo/osx" - so i pop in my osx cd and lo and behold it doesnt work. take it out and it seems i've torn through the label and subsequently the data layer...

in shorter terms i'm now fully running gentoo on my iBook 600/CD. It's been a day and I've already got the install done, and xfree, xfce4, moz-fb, moz-tb, gaim, nautilus, gftp all compiled - man the 'book rips through compilations! i didnt realize that 600mhz ppc is nowhere as slow as 600mhz x86. i never knew how fast this laptop could be! another nail in the coffin for my usage of osx. I've a couple questions though.

Sound: My friend (who has an ibook 700/cd) uses the latest ydl and says that he can only have one app using the sound card at the same time - i assume that would be an oss problem, remedied by using alsa?

Community: How many others have found that compiling on an iBook is surprisingly fast? I found xfree particularily quick - is it a driver-chopped-back version for ppc or is it the same? if its the same, all i have to say is DANGIT, THATS SOME FAST COMPILIN' :D

I like my iBook much more now :D

- Dave -
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, you need to update your sig, you don't need the excuses any more :)
skunkworx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDLM wrote:
Sound: My friend (who has an ibook 700/cd) uses the latest ydl and says that he can only have one app using the sound card at the same time - i assume that would be an oss problem, remedied by using alsa?

OSS will only allow one application to use the sound interface at a time, yup. My understanding is that ALSA will allow multiple applications to use the sound interface, but only if the sound card supports hardware-based mixing (ALSA gurus might correct me on this).

In any case, the Enlightened Sound Daemon (ESD, or esound) can be installed on top of OSS or ALSA to allow multiple sound sources to all run at once. The applications will have to have ESD support for this to work. Many do, including XMMS.
CDLM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas wrote:
hey, you need to update your sig, you don't need the excuses any more :)

there we go... :D

- Dave -
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: