5%
 5%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 407

wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:

well if you want to do a lot of searching, i refer you to be my site it uses an sql backend version of the portage tree, im in the process of adding functionality right now. any suggestions would be great.

I, for one, would like a frontend of some sort, just from portage-browsing purposes. Reverse deps would be nice. So would a db-backend.

Genone, are you planning to create a PHP-frontend for portage and release it? Sound pretty nifty; I am very interested :)
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourcemage has md5 checks in their port system. Maybe we could use some of their code, since it's GPL'd, to implement simliar feature in portage.
Gruffi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to be able to type
Code:
"emerge --fetchonly --no-md5-sum-checking"

or
Code:
"emerge --fetchonly --only-md5-sum-checking-when-downloaded"

I have a portage-mirror-pc that prefetches all packages for all other pc's, it's slow to MD5-check packages that are allready downloaded and have been checked before.
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**oops**

Last edited by thrasher6670 on Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wzzrd wrote:
Genone wrote:

well if you want to do a lot of searching, i refer you to be my site it uses an sql backend version of the portage tree, im in the process of adding functionality right now. any suggestions would be great.

I, for one, would like a frontend of some sort, just from portage-browsing purposes. Reverse deps would be nice. So would a db-backend.

Genone, are you planning to create a PHP-frontend for portage and release it? Sound pretty nifty; I am very interested :)

You quoted the wrong person :wink:
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
wzzrd wrote:
Genone wrote:

You quoted the wrong person :wink:

Darn! Got some self-slapping with a large trout tot do now! :)
Bowyakka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh so much is wrong with Portage I don't know where to begin...

2. bye bye FS based portagetree - hello sqlite (or something like it) backend -
might be nice
Quote:

6. layered overlays
Lovechild man what is a layered overlay ??
Quote:

7. threading of emerge (to allow for downloading while we emerge)
Yes yes yes yes yes yes
Quote:

10. Sticky flags
11. gtk USE flag for gtk1 deps, gtk2 USE flag for gtk2 deps - it should be that simple, but it's not - this is just SILLY !

Also:

Fixing portages behaviour on things like kernel modules (I have two dev kernels 2.6-tes6 2.6-test7 now would it be nice if portage kept the nvidia modules in 2.6-test6 when I do emerge nvidia-kernel)

The security thing would be nice

Quote:
* download/compile parallelism: well, you all know what I mean.

[/quote]
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bowyakka"]
Quote:

Fixing portages behaviour on things like kernel modules (I have two dev kernels 2.6-tes6 2.6-test7 now would it be nice if portage kept the nvidia modules in 2.6-test6 when I do emerge nvidia-kernel)

See bug #1477
Apparenltly it has been bugging people since april last year, and there exists a sort of fix.

Also what would fix this is a more refined ${KV}, which takes the patch level of the kernel into account, but that would require an extension of slots which need to accept non-integers (maybe this is already possible, but I can't find much documentation on this)
Bowyakka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well at least that one is known about :)
kamikaz3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Something better then etc-update, this thing is very time consuming when updating world
2. Something to clean out /usr/portage/distfiles, I would like it to keep the sources installed on my system but delete the old ones (my /usr/portage/distfiles is 3.2G big now but it's used by 4 different PC's)
qanuta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Version change threshold! Reply with quote

The most important new feature is some sort of version threshold to be set in emerge. For example, when I do an --update world, I don't really want to update package-2.1.3-r2 simply because package-2.1.3-r3 is now available. For most packages, these infinitesimal changes don't make a substantial difference, and they take forever to re-emerge every week. Instead, I would like to be able to tell it not to bother unless the version change is > 0.1, or some other user-specified threshold.
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Version change threshold! Reply with quote

qanuta wrote:
The most important new feature is some sort of version threshold to be set in emerge. For example, when I do an --update world, I don't really want to update package-2.1.3-r2 simply because package-2.1.3-r3 is now available. For most packages, these infinitesimal changes don't make a substantial difference, and they take forever to re-emerge every week. Instead, I would like to be able to tell it not to bother unless the version change is > 0.1, or some other user-specified threshold.

Well, sometimes that extra -r is critical - a security update, for instance. What does bother me is updates 1) strictly fixing build problems, which are irrelevant if the package is installed and hence able to be upgraded; and 2) for other platforms. A way to skip those updates (or everything but security updates) would be très spiffy.
3lue9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: If we can't make it faster, make it smarter Reply with quote

Well some of the ideas are slightly ridiculous, like C++ instead of python; however, there are a lot of good ideas here. I have been using bash scripting to solve most of the problems people have faced. I suggest looking at www.tldp.org for coding via bash. A good example is -u security. In essence you know what you want to make secure (openssh, apache, ...) so make a bash script to handle this specific upgrade.

Well the three features I'd like to see are time constraints, time approximations, simultaneous download/compiling. These will really help speed the process up and make it more user friendly. What I mean by time constraints is emerge -u --time world 0630 which would install everything it could with a 6 and a half hour limit. Nothing bothers me more then -u world before I go to bed and then when i wake up a few hours later to have my laptop still compiling.

Time approximations are slightly overlapping, but needed general use. I think using the bash units is good so long they are adjusted for you. Thus when compiling bash, some script logs the start and end time to use for your system.

The only downside to portage is speed, but these features will allow for greater user flexibility thus minimizing the unavoidable downsides of portage.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

3. a proper gtk2 frontend

Well, what's stopping you? Should Portage-devels create GTK2-frontend? Why couldn't some other people do it? There seems to be plenty of Qt/KDE-based frontends:

Kemerge
Kportage

There doesn't seem to be anything preventing a GTK2-frontend to be made. It just might be that people are not interested in one, and I don't think it's the duty of Portage-developers to write one.

In other words: you are barking at the wrong tree ;).
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: If we can't make it faster, make it smarter Reply with quote

3lue9 wrote:
Well some of the ideas are slightly ridiculous, like C++ instead of python

Agreed.

3lue9 wrote:
I have been using bash scripting to solve most of the problems people have faced.

What about sharing your work? Helpful scripts are always welcome in the "Doc, Tips and Tricks" forum, and also in this thread.

3lue9 wrote:
A good example is -u security. In essence you know what you want to make secure (openssh, apache, ...) so make a bash script to handle this specific upgrade.

The goal of a security update is to only update packages which fix security flows, not to update a well known list of packages. And this obviously requires portage additions.
Gushy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want them all although I voted other. My most wanted feature would be a snapshot/rollback facility.

so with that in mind:

1. snapshot/rollback
  2. reverse dependencies
  3. emerge -u --security
  4. simultaneous package downloads
  5. overall progress bar

binary_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: wanted portage features Reply with quote

Ability to download differences instead of whole packages would be very useful, on slower lines it could boost speed.

.. And let's think about kind of transactions support : "rollback, last N updates of package X" e.g.

I'm new to portage and gentoo so I do not know how it binary packages are accessible, maybe some resporitory should be usefull -- no need to waste sources (time, energy) to compile something the same way anothe rperson already did.
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for those that said you wanted to see reverse dependancies... they are now available at http://gentoo-portage.com
romaninsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other:

rewrite portage core in C using sqlite.
remove patchfiles from portage and cleanup it
think of some way to make optional portage categories. Only few need app-benchmarks, why can't it be optional.

im against reverse dependencies. revdep-clean/world is enough.
dbergst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
it not to take 20 mins to regnerate portag cache after rsyncing.

Amen to that! :P
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romaninsh wrote:
rewrite portage core in C using sqlite.

I won't say anything about this, there are enough threads about it.
Quote:

Not sure I understand what you mean here
Quote:
think of some way to make optional portage categories. Only few need app-benchmarks, why can't it be optional.

RSYNC_EXCLUDE_FROM in make.conf
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Quote:

Not sure I understand what you mean here

Probably wants the portage tree to be a purely ebuild-only tree.

Could be an interesting idea, with a corresponding ${P}-aux.tar.bz2 for each package... But it will probably consume more bandwidth than possibly imaginable. Also, it would also ruin the versioning policy, since changing the auxilliary files would result in a tarball with a different MD5sum...
RikBlankestijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

1. Trust, there's no trust in portage besides md5sum checks... a man in the middle attack would be easy to stage fx.
2. bye bye FS based portagetree - hello sqlite (or something like it) backend
4. per package USE flags instead of global flags (handled in the before mentioned GTK2 frontend)
5. games-roguelike -> games-rpg (silly silly silly)
6. layered overlays
8. UUID based internal naming aliased to human readable names (fixes all move, renaming, etc. problems)
9. Gentoo menu item handling system (like Debian, following the freedesktop.org standard maybe?)
10. Sticky flags
11. gtk USE flag for gtk1 deps, gtk2 USE flag for gtk2 deps - it should be that simple, but it's not - this is just SILLY !

those are in no important order what I can think off of the top of my head - but portage could be improved much more than that I think.

Start working on it :twisted:

btw. I think it's great already. I've tried a few other distro's, but since I'm using Gentoo I finally get to know Linux! That includes the portage...I now know what is being installed and how etc.. Couldn't say that about these "nice frontended package managers" that don't work anywayz. I'm happy with no gtk frontend or whatever just the reverse dependensies would make me even more happy.
guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see an XML file associated with each merged package / binary package giving details about it, such as the architure and USE flags it was merged/compiled with. This would be a big step towards sharing binaries and a big step towards my live cd project :o
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

1. Trust, there's no trust in portage besides md5sum checks... a man in the middle attack would be easy to stage fx.
2. bye bye FS based portagetree - hello sqlite (or something like it) backend
6. layered overlays
8. UUID based internal naming aliased to human readable names (fixes all move, renaming, etc. problems)
10. Sticky flags

#8 is not exactly widely accepted... And #10 has implementation issues... #2 complexity, and #1 just too much paranoia... Then again, I can't really trust the hundreds of rsync mirrors out there...

Besides, when you speak about Reiser4, you talk like it is the end-all of all filesystems with the efficiency of a database... Then again, maybe the performance gain is from the algorithms used to search real databases.

Quote:
4. per package USE flags instead of global flags (handled in the before mentioned GTK2 frontend)

#4 doesn't make sense. +gtk2 turns on GTK2 support in all apps where GTK1 support would have been taken otherwise. I don't want to have to +mozilla-gtk2 +moz-firebird-gtk2 ... to turn on GTK2 support everywhere. Unless I'm hideously misinterpreting it, which is likely, since everyone is pushing for that.

Quote:

+gtk turns on any kind of GTK+ support.
+gtk2 turns on GTK+2 support only if GTK+1 would have been used instead.

The people who think -gtk +gtk2 will result in a GTK+1 free system need to RTFM more. Besides, even with a -gtk1 flag, XMMS will still try to dump GTK+1 onto your system... Masking is the only way!

Code:
echo '<x11-libs/gtk+-2' > /etc/portage/package.mask
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: