Total Votes : 407

noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:

Quote:
3. a proper gtk2 frontend
4. per package USE flags instead of global flags (handled in the before mentioned GTK2 frontend)

#4 doesn't make sense. +gtk2 turns on GTK2 support in all apps where GTK1 support would have been taken otherwise. I don't want to have to +mozilla-gtk2 +moz-firebird-gtk2 ... to turn on GTK2 support everywhere. Unless I'm hideously misinterpreting it, which is likely, since everyone is pushing for that.

No this means when you emerge something with custom use flags it retains those use flags when you remerge them.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
binary_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: not so dirty option Reply with quote

I'd like to vote for a bit dity option named e.g. "--pretend-old-version", which will cause to symlink new version of library to the old one ("ln -s lib0.0.1.2 lib0.0.1.1) --installing new minor version would allow users to run allready installed application with new library without the need to rebuild them all.

Motivation: slow line, new version of OpenSSL, several large packages need it, need to work and plus the synced portage tree is broken so re-emerging fails. I can do the symlinks myself but it would be nice to have the option(probably for patchelevel number changes only) and send some warning to syslog or what.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenSSL 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 are not compatible, so this is not a solution for that problem. Also there isn't a clean way to deal with all possible version systems out there. And btw, ldconfig already makes those symlinks :wink:
STEALER.net
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
4. per package USE flags instead of global flags (handled in the before mentioned GTK2 frontend)

Thats what I'm looking for. Some way to specify that a particular package shoud always be emerged with e.g. USE set to -ipv6 in addition to the USE flags in make.conf. Automatic per package USE & ACCEPT_KEYWORDS environment variables or so. In my opinion this could be easily done with a directory containing the same category/package layout as portage and in the package directory there's a file containing the additional USE & ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flags for this package. Could also be extended to support CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS.
binary_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: per pkg USEs Reply with quote

I vote for this thing too, it could bring desired flexibility. But I'd like speed improvements and robostness before adding features that can complicate things.
Lisandro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something cool that i mentioned once and would be very nice to have would be to specify a "depth" for dependencies scan. Like, -e gives you the whole dependency tree for a given package; well, what i'd like to have is a -e1 that gives you the inmediate dependencies, -e2 that gives you also the dependencies of those dependencies and so on. It would save a lot of time when a package breaks and you end saying "the hell with it, i'll just re-emerge."
gmoney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Signed ebuilds (gpg) Reply with quote

I would like to see the ebuilds being signed with a gpg key or some other means of verifiability. While I realize they depend on external resources for hosting the source in many cases, the md5sums of these resources could be signed as a means of verification. Having the md5sums already included is a step in the right direction but if someone gains access to one of the mirrors they can change them to whatever they want. Most RPM based distributions have been signing their packages as well as Debian (which was recently compromised). Having the builds signed by a developer would give me a nice fuzzy feeling knowing that someone would have to work that much harder to trojan my box.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisandro wrote:
Something cool that i mentioned once and would be very nice to have would be to specify a "depth" for dependencies scan. Like, -e gives you the whole dependency tree for a given package; well, what i'd like to have is a -e1 that gives you the inmediate dependencies, -e2 that gives you also the dependencies of those dependencies and so on.

Presumably we're talking about something used with the -u (upgrade) option. Using the -u option actually checks the dependencies of the package(s) you are upgrading to see if there are upgrades for those dependencies available.

I think the --deep option already in Portage does the equivalent of -e3 above, so once it has checked for upgrades on dependencies, it takes this dependency list and checkes for upgrades on those, and then again once more.

So --deep is fairly close, but power users would like an option to specify how many "depth levels" this behaviour should happen as opposed to being stuck with three.
Lisandro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
I think the --deep option already in Portage does the equivalent of -e3 above, so once it has checked for upgrades on dependencies, it takes this dependency list and checkes for upgrades on those, and then again once more.

So --deep is fairly close, but power users would like an option to specify how many "depth levels" this behaviour should happen as opposed to being stuck with three.

Yeah, i'm aware of --deep. As you said, it's nitpicking but it would come incredibly useful when something breaks and it's not the package itself but a dependency. Yeah, a emerge -e solves it, but you have no idea what happened there...

I never coded in Python; otherwise i'd already tried something like this at home. It should be pretty inmediate to limit the recursive dependencies search tree (i think)...
Qball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be able to make coffee while I wait for the emerge -s or while regenerating portage cache after rsyncing.

I don't have much complaints. besides speed, speed and speed..

owh.. gtk2 frontend would be nice aswell, but not very important.
binary_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: speed and robustness Reply with quote

Wanted for me:
* overall speed -- maybe kind of berkeley db backend ?
* ability to download and build paralelly -- two threads will do the job
* ability to safely do two emerges simlutaneously -- I'm not sure it's available today, didn't notice it in docs
* download diffs instead of whole packages -- xdelta, diff ?
* more orthogonal behaviour -- why pretend does not work with all options ? why pretend+fetch lists urls for files that will not be downloaded (not mentioning that it returns multiple urls) ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: