"unresolved symbol" when compiling modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparriskrigaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: "unresolved symbol" when compiling modules Reply with quote

In various situations I get the error message "unresolved symbol" when compiling modules. the last time was when I downloaded the drivers for my webcam and tried compiling the modules, and I got that error message. But I've also got it sometimes when trying to compile other modules.

What does it mean? Is there anything to do about it, or do I have to explain more exactly what I am compiling or is it a general error?

/Johan
silverter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You normally get this error when you are compiling your modules against a kernel version that is different that your current running kernel. Adjust the symlink in /usr/src/linux to point to the source tree of the kernel you are running, then this error must go (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

HTH

regards,
sparriskrigaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: :/ Reply with quote

That didn't quite work :/

at least not for the particular case. It may have prevented it from happening other times in the future though :)
Keyed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have encountered this on some of my configurations. Some of the options do require other options to be checked. You can look at help on each option and if there is a dependantcy requirement it will tell you. Whenever I ahve encountered it, a config tweak always solved it.
Windows is not a virus: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are using Kernel Version 2.4.x, aren't you?
Make sure to make a copy of your /usr/src/linux/.config. Then execute "make mrproper" in /usr/src/linux. Place your .config copy to /usr/src/linux again and start the make process.

ian!
UncleTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I changed some kernel options (HIGHMEM and the like). The errors wouldn't go away even after "make mrproper" and removing the modules in the lib directories. The only way to make it work again was to compile everything into the kernel instead of as a module, then boot that kernel and then gradually switch back to modules.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: