Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0k wrote:
Oh, ok.

I thought all the DEs should include some "default apps". Thanks for the answer.

That would render the -meta unusable for people who don't like Xfce's Terminal but prefer something like xterm or rxvt-unicode instead. We don't like to repeat the mistakes from Gnome maintainers where they list every possible package as a dependency.

Gentoo is all about choice.
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: [newbie]lost xfce upgrading to 4.8 Reply with quote

Ola,

I hope I am in right section...

Updating gentoo I had to update xfce to 4.8.
Now, I am new to linux and newer to gentoo,
so I might need a bit help from you to get this thing right.

I had problems, and I followed sticky thread in this section,
but it worked on one of my two laptops, the other one is just getting worse.

Since I do not know where to start or what to post,
and I must admit I am scared to ask, it seems like you guys are just too few
for fresh army of newbies, kheh, but I am certain that this is good thing...

Boot sequence is a bit different, it reports some errors (it scrolls too fast, is there a way I can see that output?) but I did see red star saying something like"vboxdrv could not be loaded", so I ran Virtual Box and is working fine, but as I left Virtual Box, the system went to X-style. Reboot does not help.

After following steps to the letter, my main issue now is that as I boot, I do not get xfce, but X, that is I have X for mouse pointer, apps do not have borders (min, max, close), I can not resize them...

If you are reading this line, thank you so much!

alive
while true
kick ass
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade broke some of Xfce's configurations. If you can get to a console you can try moving the old config files and letting Xfce start with a fresh set.
Code:

mv ~/.config/xfce ~/.config/xfce.save

You will have to reconfigure it to how you like it.
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ola ronmon,
Thank you for fast reply.

I can get to any app I like (I did not try all of them).
I do have desktop, and I can run apps, the thing is, that I have x for desktop (I guess), since my mouse pointer is X, and stuff I described earlier...
The desktop pisture is blue gentoo picture, and not the one I had.

Niw, I did as you suggested, and I got fresh x desktop.
I should say, that I did not have .config/xfce but .config/xfce4.
I can not set desktop background picture (I can choose, but no effect), the mouse pointer is still X, apps still do not have border (min, max, close)...

I will work with this for a while, but this is not "my old desktop", or better, this is not the behaviour that I am used to...

Edit:

Going back to my original .config/xfce4 it seems that I have lost all my panels and shortcuts that I have made... this is not going in right direction, kheh...

alive
while true
kick ass
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I should have said .config/xfce4, my mistake. The panel settings were the problem I had after upgrading, so reverting to your old config screwing up your panel makes sense. The rest I'm not sure about. Maybe you could try running "revdep-rebuild", but other than that I don't know what your problem is. Sorry.
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ola ronmon,

No problem, panel shortcuts are the least of my problems right now, kheh...

Anyway, I tried removing all xfce stuff, reemerging xfce, but still no go...

Can anybody else help me?

Thank you.

alive
while true
kick ass
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above 5 posts to the sticky

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ola,

NeddySeagoon, I craped myself...

ok I managed to solve, here's how I did it:

first, I followed ssuominen first post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965.html like 10 times...
I must say, that on my smaller laptop this did the trick immediately,
but as for bigger, all hell broke loose...
(and I started on friday afternoon, not is monday, 2:30 AM !!!! - I must love this gentoo...)

actually it was simple...
Open "Sessions and Startup" menu (Settings -> Settings Manager -> Sessions and Startup).
Under first tab "General" I checked the "Display chooser on login".
I rebooted, but I guess I could just logout.
Now on login I have a choice to start with previous session or to create new one.
I created new one (name it whatever).
That is it... this got me out of that nightmare of X...

To finish up:
(After I made desktop customisation and installed some basic xfce apps)
I went back to "Sessions and Startup" menu and unchecked "Display chooser on login".
Than I made a copy of ~/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-MyName:0
than I opened ~/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-MyName:0 and deleted Default session,
leaving just my session, but renaming it Default (from whatever).
Rebooted, logged in (I use slim) and I was waiting for disappointment...
But it worked!!!!

I am going to sleep, no nightmares tonight, kheh...
I guess I'll dream of me beating the crap out of gentoo and xfce, khahaha

VICTORYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! (until next update)

Thank you all for bearing with me!

alive
while true
kick ass
printf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone knows a way to fix the $PATH problem, WITH keeping slim?
i would really like to stick with slim as my login manager, i dont like installing gnome or kde packages (i already have more than enough of that stuff already)
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: touchpad no more working... Reply with quote

My 2 cents...

Since Xfce 4.8, my touchpad is not working properly.
I can move the cursor and scroll up and down using 2 fingers, but tapping is not working anymore.

At first, I thought that it was an xorg-server update issue but it's not : i'm now on awesome and the tapping works just fine.

I really don't know why, but for the moment, until the next update, i'll stay away from Xfce and hope for it to be fixed.

If anyone has an idee meanwhile, i'm all ears :-)
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

printf wrote:
i would really like to stick with slim as my login manager, i dont like installing gnome or kde packages (i already have more than enough of that stuff already)

I am using XFCE 4.8 and SLIM 1.3.2-r3 -- my path after logging in:

Code:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.4:/usr/games/bin

This seems as it should.
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: touchpad no more working... Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
My 2 cents...

Since Xfce 4.8, my touchpad is not working properly.
I can move the cursor and scroll up and down using 2 fingers, but tapping is not working anymore.

At first, I thought that it was an xorg-server update issue but it's not : i'm now on awesome and the tapping works just fine.

I really don't know why, but for the moment, until the next update, i'll stay away from Xfce and hope for it to be fixed.

If anyone has an idee meanwhile, i'm all ears :-)

UPDATE:
I manged to make it work... sort of...

I tried Gnome as it wasn't working with Xfce 4.8. There, same problem. I googled and it seems that gnome (as xfce) overrides certain xorg.conf configurations.
The solution? Go to gconf-editor->desktop->gnome->peripherals->touchpad and there, enable tap_to_click (check also touchap_enabled and the others).

I said "made it work... sort of" because in my xorg.conf, i disabled the single tapping (too problematic to my taste) and left the 2- and 3-fingers tapping, but here, i don't have the choice, it's all or nothing.

I hope that will help the people with touchpad issues with Xfce (and also gnome).

Me, I find it poor that the DE overrides the configuration of X, or at least it should give you the possibility to enable or disable its behaviour. Here, it's either use gconf-editor to make it work (really obvious when using only xfce...) or you will not be able to use the tapping (or scrolling) feature you spent time to configure in your xorg.conf...
kurisu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurisu wrote:
The upgrade went fine for me so far, and the new Xfce 4.8.0 looks really great. However, the new Thunar (1.2.0) keeps crashing once I start copying huge amounts of cjk named files. An issue that didn't occur in the previous 1.0.2 release. Can anyone confirm this?

Copying massive amounts of cjk named files via move or cp still works fine. It just appears that Thunar cannot handle it anymore.

Just for reference. This issue has been fixed with the new Thunar 1.2.1
printf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
printf wrote:

I am using XFCE 4.8 and SLIM 1.3.2-r3 -- my path after logging in:

Code:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.4:/usr/games/bin

This seems as it should.

still have not figured out how to get my $PATH working and i dont want to use gdm.
could you please post your /etc/X11/Sessions/<session> files and /etc/slim.conf and if you have ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession, and my /etc/X11/Sessions/* are unmodified. Here is the snippet of my /etc/slim.conf , in which I modified "login_cmd" as instructed in ssuominen's HAL-less Tips/Tricks :

Code:
login_cmd           exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /usr/share/slim/Xsession %session

(That's all supposed to be one line.)

If you really want all the files, I can tar them up and email them to you -- PM me.
printf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
I don't have ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession, and my /etc/X11/Sessions/* are unmodified. Here is the snippet of my /etc/slim.conf , in which I modified "login_cmd" as instructed in ssuominen's HAL-less Tips/Tricks :

Code:
login_cmd           exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /usr/share/slim/Xsession %session

(That's all supposed to be one line.)

If you really want all the files, I can tar them up and email them to you -- PM me.

thank you, its fixed now
problem was that the login_cmd line looked like this:
login_cmd exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

instead of this:
login_cmd exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /usr/share/slim/Xsession %session
Guayasil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest porting thunar 1.3?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guayasil wrote:
May I suggest porting thunar 1.3?

Short version:

Thunar "1.3.0" where "Y" in "x.Y.z" is not even number is development release, outside of Xfce 4.8.x branch.

Long version:

1.3.0 might work with 4.8.x's packages right now, but it's branded as development series so even with version 1.3.1 it might become uncompatible with
4.8.x's packages. Upstream reserves such privilege to break things in non-backwards compatible way for development releases.
So what happens then if we package 1.3.0 now, then 1.3.1 will be uncompatible and upstream releases bugfix release Thunar 1.2.2 from 4.8.x's branch?
Obviously users would see downgrade which is actually a upgrade since 1.2.2 would be newer than 1.3.0.
1.3.0 doesn't bring any significant changes we should care about, so let's simple wait for now. I recommend everyone to stick with Thunar 1.2.x series for now.
Guayasil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clarification!
Drasica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing a strange problem where if I insert a USB disk, it appears on the desktop, but the tooltip shows it as not mounted, and clicking on it yields nothing.

If I open an instance of thunar, however, I can navigate to it over on the left hand side of volumes, and read/write fine.
Any ideas why the desktop shortcut would not be working?
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drasica wrote:
I'm experiencing a strange problem where if I insert a USB disk, it appears on the desktop, but the tooltip shows it as not mounted, and clicking on it yields nothing.

If I open an instance of thunar, however, I can navigate to it over on the left hand side of volumes, and read/write fine.
Any ideas why the desktop shortcut would not be working?

I presume you have set useflags to "-hal" and switch hald off? There are some posts regarding udisk, policykit etc at the start of this thread I think. You might want to check that you have all of that.

I had no problems like that here. Upgrade from 4.6 to 4.8 went very smooth, and XFCE looks very nice now. I decided to install a new icon theme too for the new desktop; found Xquisite on xfce-loook.org. Now even better :)

Hope you can fix you problem.

Mons
Drasica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsm wrote:

I presume you have set useflags to "-hal" and switch hald off? There are some posts regarding udisk, policykit etc at the start of this thread I think. You might want to check that you have all of that.

Yes, hald is off, removed, and I have -hal in USEflags.

I did follow a thread about UDEV/Policykit, etc. that I found in the beginning of this thread, and my situation greatly improved: the USB drive automagically showed up on the desktop, and ck-list-sessions looks good:
Code:

Session2:
   unix-user = '1000'
   realname = '(null)'
   seat = 'Seat1'
   session-type = ''
   active = TRUE
   x11-display = ':0.0'
   x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
   display-device = ''
   remote-host-name = ''
   is-local = TRUE
   on-since = '2011-03-02T08:59:12.425798Z'
   login-session-id = '1'

It essentially works, but not being able to click on the desktop icon sure is an annoying quirk!
jongust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: <SOLVED> XFCE4.8 woes ... Reply with quote

I have read a lot of the posts, but still cannot get the menus to work, either right click, or from the app menu in the panel.
I followed almost all of the posts and still cannot get the menus to come up.
Have removed ~/menus and tried a lot of other tips.....think Im missing a post somewhere, but cannot seem to get xfce4.8 to work properly.
Recompiled everything several times, and -uDn world...nothing seems to help.
here are my use flags:
USE= " encode lame truetype -minimal dbus session startup-notification static-libs consolekit device-mapper policykit pam udev automount kdrive sqlite tordns dcc_video transparency userland_GNU xfce4 xfce nsplugin kde gnome cairo fuse svg extras acl ssl gtk dbus gd nptl nptlonly unicode alsa qt4 -arts aalib php theora flac vorbis modules openal opengl imlib lame jpeg mp3 mp4 ipv6 wmv fortran gimp gphoto2 -hal udev cdparanoia foomaticdb firefox ppds cracklib crypt aes-loop cups win32codecs nvidia cdr 3dnow X ac52 aac mmx mmx2 sse sse2 sse3 amd gtk2 gtk mplayer dvdr dvd multilib symlink python perl bash_completion ffmpeg encode ogg k3b mesa thunar X lock"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mice"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/ http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/ http://mirror.iawnet.sandia.gov/gentoo/ http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.wallawalla.edu/pub/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org"
XFCE_PLUGINS="brightness menu trash"

not sure what else to post....any ideas?
thanks,
Jon

Last edited by jongust on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "echo $XDG_MENU_PREFIX" return?
jongust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: never seen this command before Reply with quote

echo $XDG_MENU_PREFIX
gnome-
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: