Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pentoo seems to have the solution to install Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couchbotato wrote:
wtf, so it is impossible that there is nightly minimal.iso boot image with fresh snapshot included?

Seems a lot of effort when you can download it in a couple of minutes.

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
couchbotato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Looking at this thread and wondering.
There is a fair amount of good Linux'es, there's a Linux for every need and taste.
There is also a do-it-yourself meta-distribution called Gentoo. It is manual by definition, it's made for people who want it this way.
Now, a bunch of people here are whining it's manual. Where is your common sense? Why did you pick something that is not for you?
Do you go into a bar, order a shot of single malt and start whining it has alcohol in it? :roll:

Ubuntu is bloated. It uses too much RAM and is buggier than Gentoo.

I don't use Gentoo to learn every tweaking possibility with Linux, I use it because its much more faster, stable and secure.
And these all wonderful Linux capabilities are away from lots of users and developers because the installation is from 19th century.

portage with masked packets is the main headache for desktop users, and that will pass away when portage envolves day by day to become the best of the bestests.
couchbotato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentooP4 wrote:
couchbotato wrote:
wtf, so it is impossible that there is nightly minimal.iso boot image with fresh snapshot included?

Seems a lot of effort when you can download it in a couple of minutes.

Yeha but it would be nice to have included and until the first shell boot you could configure things with GUI.
For example:

Put CD/USB-stick in
Partitioning with gui
Kernel selection / compiling with gui (make menuconfig or genkernel)
Grub-2 Config with gui (every other distro uses grub-2)
First Reboot

And there you have it. Saved tons of time and manual reading and command line copy pasteing in ssh shell.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couchbotato wrote:
Why it is so impossible you to understand that 99% of Gentoo users use it as a DESKTOP system for REGULAR pc machines?
I'd be very, very wary of making such claims.

couchbotato wrote:
Why the portage snapshot tarballs are not included with the .iso image?
As you've been told, it would be outdated. Sure there's weekly installation media now, but even a week old tree is possibly outdated.

couchbotato wrote:
nobody uses paludis, everyone uses portage.
What does paludis have to do with this?? So we now have god and jesus, legalization of pot, and paludis. Interesting. Very, very interesting.

couchbotato wrote:
I don't use Gentoo to learn every tweaking possibility with Linux, I use it because its much more faster, stable and secure.
Have you considered looking into Arch? Even with Arch though, you'll partition your disks manually with cfdisk, and you'll be setting the timezone manually when /etc/rc.conf will be opened in nano. Hmm, so probably not Arch then. Oh, how about Debian?

couchbotato wrote:
And there you have it. Saved tons of time and manual reading and command line copy pasteing in ssh shell.
Considering what still lies ahead of you - there's at least learning to use emerge and setting up use flags so you can put the rest of the system together, I doubt the time saving would be all that much.
max_power
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the installation on my new notebook i used the ubuntu live cd. the gentoo live cd did not provide the ethernet driver.

so in my opinion gentoo does not need easy install, rather an easy boot and feature rich live cd to work with.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't install and maintain Gentoo without some basic knowledge and skills as you cannot help a troll.
There are two things one can do after failing to install Gentoo. Start studying or give up. Most anti-Linux people have tried it and fallen back to Windows. Instead of admitting to defeat they start lobbying. Just to convince themselves they are smart, Linux is bad. Sour grapes.
None of Gentoo users really cares about all this GUI install stuff. It has no importance at all.
couchbotato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
You can't install and maintain Gentoo without some basic knowledge and skills as you cannot help a troll.
There are two things one can do after failing to install Gentoo. Start studying or give up. Most anti-Linux people have tried it and fallen back to Windows. Instead of admitting to defeat they start lobbying. Just to convince themselves they are smart, Linux is bad. Sour grapes.
None of Gentoo users really cares about all this GUI install stuff. It has no importance at all.

I've installed Gentoo about 50 times within last 5 years.
Still I need a handbook to do it, because I just cannot remember every command and step what to do.
I still do it, sometimes I like doing it but if there is much more interference in life just that day, the installation takes too much energy and effort.

Your suggesting that I'm a troll, I think that you cannot think with your own brains and you just keep on mumbling the same thing over and over again that I cannot configure the kernel, if I could install Gentoo faster and easier with GUI ?? Are you so stupid or just a TROLL ?
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked as this topic has descended into personal attacks.

couchbotato wrote:
Are you so stupid or just a TROLL ?

This behaviour is not acceptable, consider this a warning. Next time you will be banned.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: