Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pentoo seems to have the solution to install Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Pentoo seems to have the solution to install Gentoo Reply with quote

Hello.

I love Gentoo and I respect their philosophy but also I think that maybe in order to reach new
users, Gentoo should have a very simple solution available, something like Sabayon Extra Spin
versions. Maybe Gentoo + XFCE would be great for instance.

There is a Gentoo derivative(live cd) called Pentoo which it is used for penetration testing. In their
blog was posted that they were able to do a hard drive installation by using their own script.
For more information go to http://pentoo.blogspot.com/2010/10/pentoo-installation-made-easy.html .

Maybe the community or developers could use the Pentoo installer to make a light version of Gentoo.
It would be nice to see if Gentoo might grow attracting new users and developers this way. I am a
professional IT analyst and we all love Gentoo at work and a lot of new developers asked me why
Gentoo did not have such a version like this. I responded that the Gentoo community did have a philosophy
and that was not their goal to produce such version. They all agreed that Gentoo should have one available
because they would switch in a heart beat. After that I did not what else to say.

Just my $.02 cents.

v/r

-REL
dragos240
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Well. Gentoo will most likely stay..... gentoo for a while..... There are other noob friendly distros out there....
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: on Reply with quote

Hi rel124c41.

Actually there is a hot discussion about the pros and cons for a Gentoo-installer.

So if you are interested in knowing why it possibly never come, take a look at this post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-847759-highlight-.html

Andy.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat. Not a support request so it fits better here.

- John
couchbotato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Gentoo should have GUI installer with QT and ncurses (?) support.

The basic stuff

- disk partitioning + grub
- setting USE flags
- setting dhcpd etc should be automatic too
- setting timezone and clock, it is still pain in the ass and confusing for everyone

thats it. Gentoo should be able to install with GUI at least to the shell and then the user would be free to emerge kde, or what ever he wants to emerge.

Someone said that because of USE flags this GUI thing would be impossible... eehhh why is that? Why cant I select USE flags with mouse, whats the difference?!

I just cannot see why this is so impossibe? It shouldnt be, because Gentoo would be the #1 distro and in the future propably the #1 OS in general if you nerds just would admit that this is something what the community NEEDS.

in 10 years, computers are so fast that whole Gentoo/KDE system compiles in avereage desktop computer in less than hour. And yes KDE is the best way to go.

I've been using Gentoo for 6 years now, and I'm not going to use any other distros seriously, but it would sure be nice if the installation was easier and not forced to manually tweek every single little thing from scratch. Its just stupid.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couchbotato wrote:
in 10 years, computers are so fast that whole Gentoo/KDE system compiles in avereage desktop computer in less than hour.

Wishful thinking, though I do hope you are right.

couchbotato wrote:
And yes KDE is the best way to go.

Too clunky.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm new to Gentoo and Linux itself, I can say that the first thing that the first post made me think of, was that how much I would be able to get from it when I did not learn certain things while installing Gentoo as it is.

Actually one of the reasons I did go for Gentoo probably was the GUI-less installation method which somehow appealed to me.
It teaches the Linux way of doing things a lot I think and all in all makes you learn the system.

I'm not absolutely against a GUI installation, of course not, but then might come the begs for more GUI etc. stuff to deal with Gentoo things.

Anyways, just my thoughts. ^^
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUI-less install teaches you how to manage your Gentoo system.
After 15 minutes with GUI installer you have a brand new Gentoo box... and then what?
Go into forums and ask: "How can i update my system, i can't find 'Windows Update' in the menu"?
I don't think so! :?
couchbotato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
After 15 minutes with GUI installer you have a brand new Gentoo box... and then what?
Go into forums and ask: "How can i update my system, i can't find 'Windows Update' in the menu"?

With GUI software for portage and you click with mouse "update system" and it tells you what would be updated and it tells you if something has gone wrong and there is conflict.

In the first versions of gui-portage there will come popup window to handbook page which covers the issue and there could be a warning that before asking read the FAQ or get banned from forum. If there is no problems the compiling will start to popup shell window.. or something? Maybe OpenGL accelerated libvisual/screen output for compiling messages would be nice to watch... I dont know, but if this wont happen, Gentoo will surely die and wither out in next 10 years. It would be very sad :(

And now you start telling me it is absolutely impossible to make gui for portage? well explain me why exactly ? I believe that more complicated tasks are done every single day in software development and science..
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couchbotato wrote:
Kollin wrote:

With GUI software for portage and you click with mouse "update system" and it tells you what would be updated and it tells you if something has gone wrong and there is conflict.

In the first versions of gui-portage there will come popup window to handbook page which covers the issue and there could be a warning that before asking read the FAQ or get banned from forum. If there is no problems the compiling will start to popup shell window.. or something? Maybe OpenGL accelerated libvisual/screen output for compiling messages would be nice to watch... I dont know, but if this wont happen, Gentoo will surely die and wither out in next 10 years. It would be very sad :(

And now you start telling me it is absolutely impossible to make gui for portage? well explain me why exactly ? I believe that more complicated tasks are done every single day in software development and science..

I understand 8) You are talking about the perfect OS user. There is no such thing.If you don`t force someone to read the docs, in most cases, he will never read them! (look in Ubuntu forums) :wink:
There are few graphical front ends for portage even now.
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: mission possible Reply with quote

I think that the Gentoo community has a lot of smart people that could get this done. There is nothing wrong to have 2 versions available: one core edition and the one with GUI installer. I am also a Slackware fan and I love its simple installer. It works like magic all the time.

I would like Gentoo to expand further...just my advice from what I gathered in the meeting. It is up to the community to provide direction and goals. I guess that they were just looking for a way to install Gentoo really have without getting into the details of it.

Thanks...

-t
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: mission possible Reply with quote

rel124c41 wrote:
I guess that they were just looking for a way to install Gentoo really have without getting into the details of it.

But that won't get them far. They might get the system installed, but they won't know how to expand further from the base install and how to maintain the system.
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: goals Reply with quote

Like I said...I respect the Gentoo community goals. If this is not one their goal then I would respect that.
-t
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Core and GUI Reply with quote

...but it would be nice to have editions...core and full isntallations! :-)
-t
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couchbotato wrote:

There is (was?) a GUI front end to portage. Like most things GUI, using a terminal was faster and "cleaner".

I'll see if I can remember what it was called.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porthole!

Code:
neuro@Equinox ~ $ emerge -s porthole
Searching...     
[ Results for search key : porthole ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-portage/porthole
      Latest version available: 0.6.1-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 936 kB
      Homepage:      http://porthole.sourceforge.net
      Description:   A GTK+-based frontend to Portage
      License:       GPL-2

Play around with it if you want to try a GUI portage. I personally didn't care for it back in the day.
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: terminal installation Reply with quote

I agree. It is always faster by using the command line. Also, simple commands are powerful and maybe it would be easy to have an installer like the one for Arch Linux.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: terminal installation Reply with quote

rel124c41 wrote:
I agree. It is always faster by using the command line. Also, simple commands are powerful and maybe it would be easy to have an installer like the one for Arch Linux.

I'm not against an installer, I just still don't see the point in having one for Gentoo. Gentoo has an extremely flexible install method that I don't see as being that difficult. If people want to make one, more power to them, but I still won't use it.
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: options Reply with quote

it would be an option...but of course, power users would go for the manual installation.

I remembered now that a while back, the DVD edition provided a GUI installer but had a lot of flaws. Was it fixed?

-t
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: options Reply with quote

rel124c41 wrote:
I remembered now that a while back, the DVD edition provided a GUI installer but had a lot of flaws. Was it fixed?

-t

Nope, which is why it's no longer around 8)
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: nice GUI Reply with quote

@ The Earth:

Thanks for your response. I think that Gentoo developers can achieve this.

By the way, I like your desktop. Nice black theme!

-t
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: nice GUI Reply with quote

rel124c41 wrote:
@ The Earth:

Thanks for your response. I think that Gentoo developers can achieve this.

By the way, I like your desktop. Nice black theme!

-t

That's from last month, I need to update my sig :P

Here's my current :
Clean and Busy.

And one I submitted in August is winner of the Gentoo 2010 Screenshot contest :)

enlightenment FTW 8)
rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: damn nice! Reply with quote

Bad ass desktop theme that you have!....it reminds me the simplicity of NAIM! http://www.naimaudio.com/

-t
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: on Reply with quote

Having a GUI for installing Gentoo, having a GUI for Portage, it all makes me think of the other distributions out there, like Ubuntu which is the only other one I have ever tried.

While I'm still very inexperienced what comes to Linux altogether, I can't help but to feel that some people want Gentoo with GUIs while there already are so many out there!
Of course, they are not Gentoo, heh.

What I mean is, is it that the distributions like Ubuntu and Arch which are from a rather wide edges of Linux distros I believe, do not provide enough customization? Or what is the prime reason to want more GUI for Gentoo, I just don't get it. Sure, you could go all GUI and still have all the custom-power but hm, I feel it's just excess junk over what I want to do!

Basically, why bee so angry for not having a GUI for Gentoo when there are other distros for that?
Bzzt.
I believe Arch is pretty close to what Gentoo is but not as "extreme" what comes to customization, haven't really looked into it but that's the picture I have in mind.

But anyways, just my thoughts and moreover, this is really starting to become very similar to the thread mentioned up there:

Randy Andy wrote:
Hi rel124c41.

Actually there is a hot discussion about the pros and cons for a Gentoo-installer.

So if you are interested in knowing why it possibly never come, take a look at this post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-847759-highlight-.html

Andy.

rel124c41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: source Reply with quote

We have statistician and mathematicians that all they do is compiling programs and scripts and love what they can achieve with Gentoo but at the same time they don't want to spend time installing it. Why? I guess it is about personal taste. I am pretty sure we can go with another distro but I/we do not like what they offer.

There is always an easy way out but we don't to take it if we can stick with Gentoo. A lot of them would like to have them installed in their laptops so they can continue crunching numbers like there is no tomorrow.

For my part, I will be helping to install Gentoo in their laptops starting next week. I want them to keep Gentoo because that is what they want. More to come...

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: