Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Has gentoo given up on clean update paths?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Has gentoo given up on clean update paths? Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to update an out of date system. But I can't update portage to a version that supports EAPI 2 because my current portage doesn't support EAPI 2.

What's the point of having a rolling release distro if you have to re-install to update?

Sure the portage situation is just one example and my portage version is out of date, but I have hit many other odd blocker situations that required some trickery to get to update in the past which I didn't bother to record. It feels like gentoo is less and less offering clean update paths.
na85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system in question features a version of portage which is something like 8 months old. Pretty sad when 8 months can completely break the system.
devilheart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which version of portage do you have?
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Has gentoo given up on clean update paths? Reply with quote

admax88 wrote:
I'm currently trying to update an out of date system. But I can't update portage to a version that supports EAPI 2 because my current portage doesn't support EAPI 2.

Try https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-747824-highlight-eapi.html. It should be possible to forcefully install a recent enough portage.

admax88 wrote:
Sure the portage situation is just one example and my portage version is out of date, but I have hit many other odd blocker situations that required some trickery to get to update in the past which I didn't bother to record. It feels like gentoo is less and less offering clean update paths.

Well, the blockers prevent you from hitting update problems. Usually they are relatively easy to resolve. Please just post the details.
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Has gentoo given up on clean update paths? Reply with quote

admax88 wrote:

What's the point of having a rolling release distro if you have to re-install to update?
No need to reinstall, you only need to fix a shitload of issues that should not be there in the first place. Upgrading ubuntu has become easier than on gentoo...
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Has gentoo given up on clean update paths? Reply with quote

gentoo-dev wrote:
Upgrading ubuntu has become easier than on gentoo...

Hmmm..........Are you sure?

http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

:roll:
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Windows.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Has gentoo given up on clean update paths? Reply with quote

phajdan.jr wrote:
admax88 wrote:

Try https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-747824-highlight-eapi.html. It should be possible to forcefully install a recent enough portage.

admax88 wrote:

Well, the blockers prevent you from hitting update problems. Usually they are relatively easy to resolve. Please just post the details.

Yeah I found a blog entry with a method that can install a newer portage without re-installing. The point is that I shouldn't have to do shit like this. There should be a version of portage preserved in the tree that can bridge the gap to EAPI2 or some method of bootstraping a newer portage. The fact that there isn't shows that the gentoo-devs have essentially given up on providing a clean update path, the only hope now is to stay as up to date as you can all the time with hope that you get updated before the tree gets broken.

As for the blockers, I can see that arising when trying to install a package that conflicts with something already installed, but blockers shouldn't arise when just doing an update.

For example there was a blocker in the past which prevented e2fsprogs-libs installing because it conflits with e2fsprogs or something like that. I guess e2fsprogs was removed and replaced by multiple smaller pacakes, but updates like this should be handled cleanly by portage.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is portage versions in the tree that provide an upgrade path for you.

portage-2.1.6x is still in the tree for the upgrade path. Then upgrade python, possibly bash, followed by portage-2.17 or 2.18. Then if you want the newest python-2.6.6 you will need to upgrade portage to >=portage-2.1.9*.

There has been a lot of portage development in the last year which has made backward compatibility a lot more difficult or not possible.

For a more detailed list of upgrade instructions, then look at some of the recent upgrade forum threads that people have done for systems several years behind. The shortest and fastest method includes getting a newer python and portage binpkgs, (possibly bash) from tinderbox and installing them, followed by emerging/upgrading them normally.
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:

portage-2.1.6x is still in the tree for the upgrade path. Then upgrade python, possibly bash, followed by portage-2.17 or 2.18. Then if you want the newest python-2.6.6 you will need to upgrade portage to >=portage-2.1.9*.

There has been a lot of portage development in the last year which has made backward compatibility a lot more difficult or not possible.

For a more detailed list of upgrade instructions, then look at some of the recent upgrade forum threads that people have done for systems several years behind. The shortest and fastest method includes getting a newer python and portage binpkgs, (possibly bash) from tinderbox and installing them, followed by emerging/upgrading them normally.

Why should I have to do this by hand. Upgrading shouldn't be any more complicated then emerge --sync, emerge -auDN world, unless your system is royally fucked due to the user mucking around with things that portage should handle. If there's a sure method of upgrading it, it should be automated by portage.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because someone has to maintain all the backwards-compatible code. If you want to volunteer to do that, I'm sure Zac would appreciate it :wink:
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admax88 wrote:
dol-sen wrote:

Why should I have to do this by hand. Upgrading shouldn't be any more complicated then emerge --sync, emerge -auDN world, unless your system is royally fucked due to the user mucking around with things that portage should handle. If there's a sure method of upgrading it, it should be automated by portage.

portage is designed to bring users to the newest available versions unless the user overrides that. It has no facility to automatically figure out how to version hop in a way that makes everything work and implementing one would either require a great deal of man power to increase the data regarding what is compatible with what that is available to portage or the implementation of a search procedure that will be extremely slow. If you wish to do either, you are more than welcome to do it. I am sure that many people in similar circumstances would be happy if you did.
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
admax88 wrote:
dol-sen wrote:

portage is designed to bring users to the newest available versions unless the user overrides that. It has no facility to automatically figure out how to version hop in a way that makes everything work and implementing one would either require a great deal of man power to increase the data regarding what is compatible with what that is available to portage or the implementation of a search procedure that will be extremely slow. If you wish to do either, you are more than welcome to do it. I am sure that many people in similar circumstances would be happy if you did.

Portage isn't designed to handle version hopping? Are you telling me its not designed to handle upgrading itself? That seems like a pretty basic feature to ask of a package manager, particularly for a rolling release based distro. I'm not asking about for a dataset of all possible system configurations of packages to see what's compatible through the entire life of the distro. I'm talking about having the core package manager of the system able to upgrade itself to the latest version if it gets out of date. If the portage ebuild switches to a new EAPI not supported by legacy versions of portage, there should be some standard and easy method/path of upgrading to the latest version.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technical issues aside maybe you've learnt that you should update a rolling distro more regularly than once in eight months, there have been quite a few security issues fixed in that time.

Never had any such problems and update at least once a week (under ~amd64 or ~x86).
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admax88 wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:
admax88 wrote:
dol-sen wrote:

Portage isn't designed to handle version hopping? Are you telling me its not designed to handle upgrading itself? That seems like a pretty basic feature to ask of a package manager, particularly for a rolling release based distro. I'm not asking about for a dataset of all possible system configurations of packages to see what's compatible through the entire life of the distro. I'm talking about having the core package manager of the system able to upgrade itself to the latest version if it gets out of date. If the portage ebuild switches to a new EAPI not supported by legacy versions of portage, there should be some standard and easy method/path of upgrading to the latest version.

While portage is designed to upgrade itself, it is designed to upgrade itself from the version you have installed to the latest version available unless you tell it otherwise. Portage lacks the ability to route around broken upgrade paths through automated version hopping. Upgrading itself without user assistance when the direct route from your current version to the latest version is broken is not something that it is designed to do.

By the way, your query "Are you telling me its not designed to handle upgrading itself?" is similar to writing a program to determine whether or not any given program terminates and then feeding into it a program that has a description both of the program you wrote and of itself with the ability to say no if your program says yes and yes if your program says no. Things are not quite as black and white as saying yes or no. There are other factors involved that make things yes sometimes, no some times and undecidable other times.
Ormaaj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be on buntu where a complete reformat every 6 months is required in order to guarantee a smooth update. Rolling-release FTW!

Also there seems to be less massive overhaul these days. Just the accumulation of a lot of small changes which portage should mostly handle. I have a box that hasn't been updated in over a year and I don't foresee any problems. The hardest part to maintain is keeping the useflags in sync with my main machine - keeping the hardware-specific differences where required. If all else fails do the building on a different system. I would probably grab Portage out of git and switch to it via $PYTHONPATH temporarily.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ormaaj wrote:
You could be on buntu where a complete reformat every 6 months is required in order to guarantee a smooth update. Rolling-release FTW!

Also there seems to be less massive overhaul these days. Just the accumulation of a lot of small changes which portage should mostly handle. I have a box that hasn't been updated in over a year and I don't foresee any problems. The hardest part to maintain is keeping the useflags in sync with my main machine - keeping the hardware-specific differences where required. If all else fails do the building on a different system. I would probably grab Portage out of git and switch to it via $PYTHONPATH temporarily.

I foresee the libpng 1.2 to 1.4 upgrade breaking a great number of things, which will require that you run revdep-rebuild. You will likely do that anyway, but that upgrade was painful for people running testing when it came out.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libpng is not that bad now. It has been slotted, so unmerge the old 1.2 and re-emerge it, then it can emerge 1.4 as needed, or vice versa.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Has gentoo given up on clean update paths? Reply with quote

admax88 wrote:

This is the point of a rolling-release distro. If you fail to keep up with the distro, or you're not going to bother even reading any of the many, many announcements explaining all the important changes, you will get left behind.

If you've got a problem with that, then put your money where your mouth is and do something about it - Gentoo's short on manpower as it is without having to field bogus complaints like these.
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
While portage is designed to upgrade itself, it is designed to upgrade itself from the version you have installed to the latest version available unless you tell it otherwise.

That's the point. All I told it to do was to upgrade to the latest version of portage available. Nothing special, just get myself back up to date and it chokes because the update path was broken

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Upgrading itself without user assistance when the direct route from your current version to the latest version is broken is not something that it is designed to do.

Then I say that's pretty weak design of a package manager which is the heart and soul of a rolling release distro. That's why this thread was started with "Has gentoo given up on clean update paths?" Portage and the portage tree should provide a clean method of upgrading from older to newer versions and I don't see why the required upgrade path needs to be broken.

Ant_P wrote:
This is the point of a rolling-release distro. If you fail to keep up with the distro, or you're not going to bother even reading any of the many, many announcements explaining all the important changes, you will get left behind.

What do you define as keeping up with the distro? At what frequency do I have to update in order to not be left with broken update paths? This isn't a question of reading or not reading announcements, its a question of whether or not gentoo has given up on clean update paths which it seems to me like they have.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you expect something like commercial support when something goes wrong, perhaps you should be using a commercially supported operating system?

It's your decision how often you update your software, but nobody is under any obligation to take your attitude because you didn't even try to keep current. Gentoo is not exactly the most polished distro out there, and it's basically built around the premise that its users will keep an eye on things and accept that some things will not go smoothly.

I can accept that you didn't update. I can accept that you need help to fix things now. I can't accept the attitude that you're entitled to be indignant that it didn't work for you, or the rudeness you've shown to those trying to help you.

The original premise for sharing software was that by using free software, you somehow contributed to the community. If you can write software and have a worthwhile project, then write software. If you can write documentation, then do that. If you can do tech support, then that's needed too. If all else fails, you could give money to a project. There are dozens or hundreds of ways you could help an OS project. Nobody made any official rule about it, because it often takes a few years for someone to get comfortable with contributing and to find a way that works for them to do so.

Somewhere along the line, somebody decided that the OS community was responsible for making things the way "everyone" wanted it, and too bad about paying for it in some way, or if somebody expects polite behavior.

Most of the folks helping you are just other people doing their thing, without pay. I think you should ease up on the angst. Maybe you could volunteer at a soup kitchen and see what it's like to help people just because you can and they need it. It really changes your outlook on life.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ + +
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
Somewhere along the line, somebody decided that the OS community was responsible for making things the way "everyone" wanted it, and too bad about paying for it in some way, or if somebody expects polite behavior.

bash.org quote #152037:
<dm> I discovered that you'd never get an answer to a problem from Linux Gurus by asking. You have to troll in order for someone to help you with a Linux problem.
<dm> For example, I didn't know how to find files by contents and the man pages were way too confusing. What did I do? I knew from experience that if I just asked, I'd be told to read the man pages even though it was too hard for me.
<dm> Instead, I did what works. Trolling. By stating that Linux sucked because it was so hard to find a file compared to Windows, I got every self-described Linux Guru around the world coming to my aid. They gave me examples after examples of different ways to do it. All this in order to prove to everyone that Linux was better.
* ion has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
<dm> brings a tear to my eye... :') so true..
<dm> So if you're starting out Linux, I advise you to use the same method as I did to get help. Start the sentence with "Linux is gay because it can't do XXX like Windows can". You will have PhDs running to tell you how to solve your problems.

... and unfortunately in communities full of rabid fanboys, whose sole goal in life is seemingly to ensure that you've "converted," it actually works as described. Ironically enough, some even quote the above in their rants about how Linux sucks.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me for the rant.

I've been using Linux for a lot of years, and I do NOT consider myself to be a guru. I'm more comfortable with Linux than with anything else, more comfortable with UN*X than with non-UN*X. On Gentoo forums, I still ask more than I answer.

I have definitely been a member of forums where the above statements are true, and the frenzy surrounding the unfortunate victim asking a question resembled a pack of dogs fighting over a rabbit than any sort of civilized discussion.

My most recent two distros are Ubuntu and Gentoo. I went from Debian to Gentoo to Ubuntu and back to Gentoo on my main system, although I still maintain boxes with all 3 of those at work.

FWIW, I have rarely found serious rudeness on Gentoo or Ubuntu forums. You get somebody who is frustrated and tired and says something out of line, and you get people who disagree and things briefly flame up, but you don't get that dread for asking questions that characterizes the bad sites. Occasionally you get a smart@$$ who escapes from the off-the-wall areas, but people either ignore them or they put them back in their place.

I find that a little bit of respect goes ten times farther than any amount of disrespect. Acknowledging help and asking questions is often the only compensation the people helping you get.

I think that most Open Source licenses are fairly easy reading. I think they're all extremely educational, and they define the culture surrounding the project. I think people should read two or three random licenses.

Scratch that, they should read Apache, GPL and one other random license.
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
If you expect something like commercial support when something goes wrong, perhaps you should be using a commercially supported operating system?

It's your decision how often you update your software, but nobody is under any obligation to take your attitude because you didn't even try to keep current. Gentoo is not exactly the most polished distro out there, and it's basically built around the premise that its users will keep an eye on things and accept that some things will not go smoothly.

I can accept that you didn't update. I can accept that you need help to fix things now. I can't accept the attitude that you're entitled to be indignant that it didn't work for you, or the rudeness you've shown to those trying to help you.

The original premise for sharing software was that by using free software, you somehow contributed to the community. If you can write software and have a worthwhile project, then write software. If you can write documentation, then do that. If you can do tech support, then that's needed too. If all else fails, you could give money to a project. There are dozens or hundreds of ways you could help an OS project. Nobody made any official rule about it, because it often takes a few years for someone to get comfortable with contributing and to find a way that works for them to do so.

Most of the folks helping you are just other people doing their thing, without pay. I think you should ease up on the angst. Maybe you could volunteer at a soup kitchen and see what it's like to help people just because you can and they need it. It really changes your outlook on life.

I'm not asking for commercial support, heck I'm not even asking for support period. I was just raising the issue that gentoo keeps breaking update paths and I think that's a bad idea. Everyone came rushing in with their solutions on how to fix the issue but nobody wants to talk about why there is an issue in the first place.

I may have sounded rude to those trying to help me, but that's because I'm not looking for help. I can fix the issue myself, the point of my post is to generate discussion and debate about clean update paths. You are eager to lecture me about how the free software community operates, but not prepared to accept criticism about how one of your favourite projects operates.

Perhaps my earlier posts were a little too snarky. For that I apologize. But I still hold by my criticism that portage should be able to update itself to the latest version. If for some reason it is necessary to upgrade the ebuild to use a newer EAPI, then there should be a clean update path handled by portage to make the transition for older systems. Sure from really old systems there will be some update conflicts, but for portage of all things it should be handled well. Its the core of the system, and it only has a few dependencies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: