kvm + initramfs, no such device or address
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: kvm + initramfs, no such device or address Reply with quote

I followed the gentoo wiki to build an initramfs ... http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs#Basics

My initramfs script (/init) has the following line and other than I'm using /dev/sda3 instead of sda1 like in the wiki, the rest is the same. Though I also have separate partitions for /home, /usr, /var, /opt/ and /tmp that I don't have in there.
Code:

mount -o ro /dev/sda3 /mnt/root

When I try to boot a guest OS in KVM with the -initrd option ...
Code:

kvm -net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:12:34:56 -net tap,ifname=qtap0,script=no,downscript=no -kernel ./kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r11 -initrd /opt/gentoo-i386-initramfs.cpio.gz -boot d -m 512

I get this error ...
Code:

mount: mounting /dev/sda3 on /mnt/root failed: No such device or address

I copied all /dev/sda* from my host os into the initramfs /dev before archiving, just as shown in the wiki.

Anyone offer any advice here?
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the kernel your booting in kvm have the correct drivers compiled in to see your disks?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm...the furthest thing in the world from a KVM expert. So please take this as my "beginner's guess"

Every time i've started it up, I've specified a drive or file or partition something to that extent on the command-line. I don't see that anywhere in yours?

I was initially going to say "oh, it's /dev/vda*", but that's only with virtio driver

I'm either blind, ignorant, or right. One of those three :)
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
does the kernel your booting in kvm have the correct drivers compiled in to see your disks?

Yeah, I can start kvm fine using a hard disk image and *.iso. But here all I'm trying to do is mount a partition from within the guest OS.

cach0rr0 wrote:

Every time i've started it up, I've specified a drive or file or partition something to that extent on the command-line. I don't see that anywhere in yours?

Inside my /init file which is specified with the -initrd param (in / of the archive) is where I tell what partition to be mounted ro. That line would be the 'mount -o ro /dev/sda3 /mnt/root' above.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where you specify any disk or drive in that kvm startup line... so my guess would be the guest OS does not have any drives. Am I wrong?

The initramfs guide has a dynamic device section, as well as a rescue shell, I suggest you use both to find out what you actually have there.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
I don't see where you specify any disk or drive in that kvm startup line... so my guess would be the guest OS does not have any drives. Am I wrong?

The initramfs guide has a dynamic device section, as well as a rescue shell, I suggest you use both to find out what you actually have there.

ok, so I'm not crazy then :lol:

i was looking like...where exactly is this drive supposed to be, if all he passes to kvm is a ramdisk, but no actual volume/disk/whatever
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: